Thread: exhibitor license

Default exhibitor license

Hey everybody, recently got permitted for type 54. As many of you know, this does NOT always give you the total freedom to just shoot 1.3. However, the state I reside in expects an individual or company upon receiving license to become an "exhibitor" then everything else $$$$. The law or by law is clearly directed toward commerce and not the hobbyist. I am licensed through the state as a display operator. So everybody knows (on this forum) I have a good idea what Im doing. I am just curious if anybody else has experienced this scenario in there neck of the woods and would care to share good and /or bad experiences.

Any alternative way. If so what are your experiences. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    Last edited by pyrotechjeff; April 20th, 2012 at 06:04 AM. Reason: missing word
    [B]Impact Pyro, Inc.[/B]
    Licensed Display Operator (TN)
    BATFE Type 54 // Type 4 Mag
    PGI Member

Default Re: exhibitor license

Jeff, I also have a Type 54 & live in Tennessee. I've had the license for almost 6 years & renewed it once & will again in a few months. I've pulled many permits to shoot displays using my TN shooters licenses. I had the Senior State Fire Inspector inspect my shoot site & state licenses at Bonnaroo last year. I've attended ATF training at the ATF main office. I've attended other firework training classes in the state etc.etc.etc. & have not once has anyone ever asked for an exhibitor license. I feel whomever told you you needed an exhibitor licenses doesn't know the laws well enough. All of the Tennessee firework laws are on line and easily found in a simple search. Maybe the laws have changed recently however I don't know. I do know a lobbyist in Tennessee who would know all the TN firework laws & anything new coming up.
    Look into it & if you can't get it straightened out, contact me & I'll ask the questions you need answered.
    BPG & PGI Member, ATF 54 permit, Class A CDL w Haz Mat, PGI Certified Shooter, TN Certified Outdoor Display, Flame Effects & Proximate Pyrotechnic Operator. Authorized Pyrotechnic Shooter in Arkansas.

Bill, you've been consistently generous with your time and knowledge over the years. Reps to you good sir.
    9th Annual St. Louis Group Shoot | Ohio Fireworks Law | Northeast Ohio Pyros
    Ohio Licensed Lead Exhibitor | BATFE Type 54 | PGI Member/Certified | President NEOPG

Thanks Bill- Im going to PM you with some detailed info on my experience.
    [B]Impact Pyro, Inc.[/B]
    PGI Member

Hey Bill- Just going to post here instead of PM for the sake of learning for anybody else. My experience has been with the state Fire Marshal. According to them if I wanted to shoot any 1.3 whether its for friends and family or anybody, I am required to have/purchase an exhibitor license and have proof of insurance with the pulling of proper permits. I will dig a little deeper into this. However, my thoughts have been to shoot a few here and there.. as a hobbyist etc.. nothing over the top. I was disappointed to learn if this is indeed what should happen..its alot of money invest.
    [B]Impact Pyro, Inc.[/B]
    PGI Member

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    Bill, you've been consistently generous with your time and knowledge over the years. Reps to you good sir.
    I'm with you Russel I also sent him reps.

I should also mention, I am not a business nor am I shooting for profit. This is strictly for my personal use or with fellow operators.
    [B]Impact Pyro, Inc.[/B]
    PGI Member

Thanks for the reps sirs!

Jeff, it does take an exhibitors license, proof of insurance & a bunch of other stuff to pull a display fireworks permit in Tenn. Do you have a name for me who has told you this information (PM only please)?
    I buy 1.3 product & shoot it at BPG, PGI & other meetings where permits have been pulled. I also shoot it in Mississippi where there is no state permit required. You only have to notify the AHJ.

Back to Tenn, there are & may be certain times you can shoot various kinds of pyro without a permit in Tenn such as, not in front of an audience. We have blown up vehicles, barns & other stuff for grade B movies and no permit was necessary. Of course we notify all authorities in that jurisdiction & the fire Dept always is there. Get me a list of questions you want answered, sleep on it for a few days & when you feel you have all of them written down, send them to me via a PM or e mail. I'll get them answered.
    Last edited by Bill Corbett; April 23rd, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
    BPG & PGI Member, ATF 54 permit, Class A CDL w Haz Mat, PGI Certified Shooter, TN Certified Outdoor Display, Flame Effects & Proximate Pyrotechnic Operator. Authorized Pyrotechnic Shooter in Arkansas.

Thank you Bill, I will do that.
    [B]Impact Pyro, Inc.[/B]
    PGI Member

Member Array

Keep us up to date Jeff. Great info for fellow Tennesseeans!!

Bill, I will be contacting you via pm in the days to come. Not to drag this topic out but I did feel I need to clarify. You are correct for a show/shoot with public, municipality etc, gotta have all the paper work, permits, this I am aware of. I am strictly referring to me (or a few family members watching) on my property, in rural TN shooting a few off. Is it no blood no foul ? I do an annual show here on our little ranch...this year will be 1.4 and 1.3, in this case I am shooting as crew leader with the company I work with. Therefore, Im covered with everything necessary. My questions are mostly, A) why do I need to be an exhibitor when I am not business --just because I have the license.. B) I just want shoot a few (personally). with out getting wrapped up in legal issues. Any thoughts welcome.

Jeff
    [B]Impact Pyro, Inc.[/B]
    PGI Member

Member Array

Hey everyone,especially you Tennessee guys.I'm new to your forum. I am in the process of obtaining the atf 54 permit, but more importantly am trying to get certified by the state for the fireworks shooters license. The state website is pretty clear on the process but short on details.

They mention a state test but no mention of a study guide. Would studying the one from the PGI shooter course suffice or do I have to go thru a ? state course which they do not mention.

Do they accept the PGI course for certification.

And do you know if I have to assist at three shoots before or after taking their test.

Before anyone tells me to call the fire prevention division and they will have the answers, it is difficult to use my cell phone at work from 7:30 to 6pm to contact them and not sure at lunch I want my employer to know my personal hobbies in case they don't approve and have a chance to make things difficult.

A little background, I got involved with professioal fireworks display way back in 1993. took the Pgi shooters course in 1995 and assisted in shows for about 5 years . I belonged to the Connecticut Pyrotecnic association until Marriage and kids {as some of you know} put that on the back burner in 2000. My wife was not crazy about lighting fuses with those railroad flares but at the time only a few shows I assisted in[ five or less] were done electronically. I moved to Tennessee in 2007 and now have 3 acres on Watts bar lake and hope I might be able to shoot some2.5 shells and cakes on my property. I do not have the proper distances for any larger shells than that. Am interested in the electric firing systems , a lot more out there now.
    Looking at the Quantum firing system because they have a few under $600 and seem to fit my needs. Any thoughts on my choice.

Anyway this is enough to digest for now. Thanks for everyones time who read or responded in advance.
    Matthew