Thread: Importing into Canada???

Member Array

Default Importing into Canada???

I'm going on vacation soon and want to take a few things up into Canada (Ontario) to show some friends. Does anyone know what the rules and regulations are for taking them across the border and then lighting them? Any help would be appreciated.

Member Array

Default Re: Importing into Canada???

Quote Originally Posted by wdblosser View Post
    I'm going on vacation soon and want to take a few things up into Canada (Ontario) to show some friends. Does anyone know what the rules and regulations are for taking them across the border and then lighting them? Any help would be appreciated.
    You won't get the answer you want here Im sure.

Ben
    Anything with "Danger: Explosive" in its description should get a restraining order from me!

Thunderstruck Array jonkelley82's Avatar

Well I'm sure it's way more trouble than it's worth. But you more than likely will want to contact CBSA to get the most accurate information. The following is cut/paste from their website:

Explosives, fireworks and ammunition
    You are required to have written authorization and permits to bring explosives, fireworks and certain types of ammunition into Canada. For more information, contact:

Explosives Regulatory Division
    Natural Resources Canada
    1431 Merivale Road
    Ottawa ON K1A 0G1

Telephone: 613-948-5200

Web site: www.nrcan.gc.ca

This page will be of use too: http://www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/mms-smm...rd-dre-eng.htm

From a quick read, the way they classify their fireworks frrom consumer/professional is a little differant from over here.

http://www.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/mms-smm...yr-pyr-eng.htm

Good luck...
    Last edited by jonkelley82; August 3rd, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. I don't know if less is more, but I am constantly trying to do more with less!

Our 2012 Finale - Our 2011 Finale - Our 2010 Finale

My uncle goes up to Canada every year. He tells me you are not getting across the border with pyro from here anymore. Sorry I forget the details of why, but he used to be able to do it until 2 years ago I think.

To add to what jonkelley offered:

I think your best bet would be to also contact U.S. & Canadian Customs to get up to date import/export information. I seriously recommend not trying to slip anything past the border crossings. They have tightened down, tremendously....... With good reason........

I went on vacation to London, ON a few years ago while on leave. The only thing I had was a rucksack with clothes and a single round of .45 ACP that I somehow overlooked when packing the ruck. Due to my piss poor SA I was met with an 11 hour delay at the border. Only after about 300 questions and numerous phone calls up my chain of command was I finally allowed to cross.

Member Array

Thanks everyone, especially jonkelley for all the info. From what I've read it sounds like the max cakes allowed are 300g and there may be an import permit required. I emailed a contact in the Explosives Regulatory Division for Ontario. Hopefully they'll be able to help. I don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops so it sounds like it won't happen. I'll update here later if I get a response fromt the ERD.

I would like to know that to, I just got back from Nova Scotia last week I would liked to have taken some stuff with me. I am going back soon. I am going to have to contact U.S. & Canadian Customs and see what they say.

Member Array

Since I live in Canada I think I can answer this one . About bringing American fireworks into Canada - The long and the short answer is No .

All of the fireworks that are allowed in Canada have been authorised by ERD ( Explosives Regulatory Division ) at a cost of $2200 per item .

Even if you were allowed in most places in ontario we are only allowed to shoot off on victoria day weekend ( 3rd weekend in May ) and July 1st ( Canada's birthday ) .
    Last edited by Grisom; August 3rd, 2009 at 06:47 PM.
    Come over to the Dark Side .......We have cookies !!

Member Array

sigh

Thanks Grisom. stone if you hear any different please let me know. If I hear anything from the guy at ERD I'll post here.

Member Array

As someone mentioned above, the ERD (our regulating body) severely restricts the items which can be imported into Canada, and even keeps a list (a very long one) of allowable items.

Even if your items were allowable (as in, on the list), I believe you require a special permit or at least advanced permission from the ERD to import the fireworks, and would most likely have your product confiscated at the border without one.

Sorry, but I agree with everyone who says it will be more trouble than it is worth, if not impossible.

-Jared
    [Magnum Fireworks] Calgary Fireworks
    Are you from Canada? Check out FireworksTalk.Ca, a new forum dedicated to the Canadian fireworks industry.