Thread: Uses for cardboard tubes from work?

Default Uses for cardboard tubes from work?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figure with all the experienced people on this forum someone would be able to help me.

Anyways, I'm able to get my hands on some 4'' OD (3'' ID) tubes at work, spiral wound, used as the core for either rolls of paper (the shorter tube) or plastic film (the longer tube). They're pretty sturdy (can't crush them unless I actually stand on them, and even then it's not easy), and looking at them I got to wondering if they would be useful for pyrotechnics in some way. I made up a quickie page with pictures, here's the link :

http://fireworks.windyrun.us/

I doubt I'd be using them to launch shells even if they're good for that, but I was thinking maybe mines... or, if nothing else, holders for 1.4 roman candles and such.

So, thoughts? Opinions?

Default Re: Uses for cardboard tubes from work?

Quote Originally Posted by MondoMage View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figure with all the experienced people on this forum someone would be able to help me.

Anyways, I'm able to get my hands on some 4'' OD (3'' ID) tubes at work, spiral wound, used as the core for either rolls of paper (the shorter tube) or plastic film (the longer tube). They're pretty sturdy (can't crush them unless I actually stand on them, and even then it's not easy), and looking at them I got to wondering if they would be useful for pyrotechnics in some way. I made up a quickie page with pictures, here's the link :

http://fireworks.windyrun.us/

I doubt I'd be using them to launch shells even if they're good for that, but I was thinking maybe mines... or, if nothing else, holders for 1.4 roman candles and such.

So, thoughts? Opinions?
    candle holders would be nice, and you might want to check out that link from skylighter about flying fish mines...but that'd be an awfull big mine/lots of fuses

other than that i can't think of anything safe to do with them...and the flying fish mine idea might not even be that safe at that size (3 inch ID). the skylighter newsletter is talking about 1 inch and 1/2 inch mines...they don't mention 3 inch...possibly for a reason.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

I've seen three inch cardboard guns used for shells. It works just fine, but they have a fairlyshort life.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaPyro View Post
    I've seen three inch cardboard guns used for shells. It works just fine, but they have a fairlyshort life.
    yeah but these aren't made specificly for pyro...i wouldn't trust them to fire a shell.

someone can chime in here with the differences between spiral wound and parellel wound tubes, the type of paper used (mil), the adhesives and glues used to hold the tube together, and all that jazz...

i'll just say i doubt the tubes he has and the propper tubes used to fire 3 inch shells are one in the same.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

I have seen 3" spiral wound (eg. shrink wrap cores)used for mortars, mostly in finale's, After a few years they start to become unraveled.

You can increase the strength and life of any cardboard mortar,with waterglass treatment,wood hardners,and or,any kind of wood sealers(eg.cabbots,thomsons,ect).

I would stick with roman candle holders! If you are serious and licensened enough you would probably not be using them for 1.3g anyway. Trust me, 1 Roman Candle sucks but 100 is WAY COOL!
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    God bless the USA

Member Array

I work with core rolls like these and let me tell you they are thick and tough. The core cutter blade must be extremely sharp and routinely needs re-sharpening. However just because of this I cannot tell you whether or not it is safe to fire shells from. Hopefully a certified shooter will reply.
    "Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius." -- Fulton J. Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaPyro View Post
    I have seen them used for years and years. I am not talking about only one show a year either.

Just don't leave them out in the rain and they will hold up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by MondoMage View Post

So, thoughts? Opinions?
    I'd recommend against launching shells: they "probably" would work OK, but if they aren't specifically made for fireworks mortars, you just never know. And "real" 3" mortars really are inexpensive, as little as $4 each for fiberglass. (And we're assuming you have the appropriate BATFE license for posessing and shooting 1.3...)

I second all the recommendations for using them for 1.4 candles. 1.4 mines may not be a good idea, the stars won't go nearly as high and might come down while still burning.
    To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. - Mark Twain

Pyro Haiku
    If we burn money,
    Might as well be colorful
    And make lots of noise.

Almost every show I did over the 4th of July we some kind of Cardboard mortars like these. They work fine just don't let them get wet. And I would advise against reloading them!! And it is a good idea to seal them with something. They need to be at least 18" long to use though so the shorter ones won't work for shells!

P.S. I would be interested in getting some if you have extra!
    KS Licensed Display Operator
    MO Licensed Display Operator

Member Array

Cremora mines.

I've been shooting shows for 18 years and when I first started almost all our racks were spiral tubes. In fact we had racks up to 6in made of cardboard . We shot many shows with them there a lot stronger than you think.Of course most of our racks are hdpe now but the cardboard comes out for 4th of july week when the crews and racks are stretched thin.

Put a wood plug inthe bottom and use the 18" ones.
    What did everyone start using before HDPE came along instead of steel - Cardboard of course.
    Keep them dry is key. When they start unraveling - pitch!
    The 11" - candle holders and cremora pots!
    JOyce
    www.kneppysfireworks.com
    "Fireworks isn't just for July 4th anymore!"
    Member NFA, PaPyro Artists, WNYPA, Pa. Pyrotechnics Assoc., NLPC, NEOPG, PGI Cert.