Thread: LCD display

Default LCD display

Does any one knows how to control an lcd display?

Default Re: LCD display

i would think you would have to add a microchip/ prosseor
    Celebration Fireworks, Inc. The best in 1.3g! And for you 1.4g guys try Joe @ spectacular fireworks
    Pennsylvania Pyrotechnic Artists
    BATF permitted

yes of cuorse. Iam using an atmel processor, but I don't know how....I need help!!!!

It really depends on what Atmel processor and what LCD? Without that info, best I can say is to Google
    atmel control lcd
    and follow some of the links. I'm sure someone will have posted what you need...

What language are you programming in? I have never used Atmel, but always PICs, but alot of microcontroller programming languages have built in commands for LCDs...Also, is this a parallel LCD or does it have a serial backpack? If it has a serial backpack, its going to be as easy as sending a serial signal to any output pin, look at your compiler's manual and see if it has any help...
    Extreme Pyrotechnics LLC
    Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources Explosives Handler
    Illinois OSFM Lead Operator
    "BATFE DOT NFPA DNR OSFM pyro is alphabet soup"
    Finale Fireworks
    cjurczak.com

www.picbasic.com is a nice site for normal pics i dont have workt whith atmel sorry

If you've done any work with Atmel's microcontroller, you should already know about www.avrfreaks.net. It is arguably the best place to go for Atmel AVR information. It can take a while to find the information you want, but I know there are multiple forum threads discussing how to interface AVRs to the small integrated LCD displays. Looking through my notes, I also found some information at a related site, www.avrbeginners.net, that was intended to give AVR newbies a place to start. The information on avrbeginners is dated (2004), but it will provide some general insight on how to proceed with LCD interfacing.

I struggled with your question a few years ago. I ended up with a distributed firing system consisting of a control panel with LCD and keypad, six remote relay units with 14 firing circuits each (for the center display) and six remote relay units with 5 firing circuits each (for the fanned out part of the display). Each box has an AVR microcontroller, for a total of 13. The control panel uses an ATMEGA32 AVR. Control of the LCD (mine is a 16-column x 4-row type) is through an 8-bit parallel port and 3 discrete lines.

Yes, mine is a pretty complex system but I built it as a technical challenge, not for simplicity. I can also use the same system to control my Halloween display!

Going into more implementation detail is probably beyond the scope of this forum. The software routines I used for display came from avrfreaks, and others were helpful to me when I couldn't get something to work. With time, you can find solutions for just about everything AVR based there.
    Last edited by klunkerbus; June 12th, 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Looked back through my notes...