Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Lanterns

Default Sky Lanterns

Hello all. I know there have been people waiting for a good Video of the Sky Lantern....So HERE IT IS!! There is really nothing to hear, so I added a little effects soundtrack! This was taken at the Bigfireworks Demo Shoot, on May 5th. Let me know what you think.
    Rock On!!

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...87&ppuser=1886
    Last edited by chris69; May 7th, 2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Dummy Me Forgot The Link!
    Coming Soon From A Store Called "Q" Its the New "Rocket Cake"
    I am but one man with a van full of PyroPleasure....
    Come Brethren Fire it up with me!!
    http://www.tscontrolsonline.com/

Default Re: Sky Lanterns

Interesting, so those are sky lanterns...

Two thoughts: Fire hazard and nuisance. Those things have to come back down somewhere, and I doubt they are all that biodegradable. If they malfunction and come down prematurely, what's to keep them from igniting trees, shrubs or grasses? Definitely not something to use on anything but a very calm night...

Wonder if there was a spike in UFO sightings that evening?
    State of CO Display Operator Licensed
    Member Rocky Mountain Pyrotechnics Guild
    Member PGI

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
    "Don't loose your head"

The UFO sightings jokes were flying that night.

I'd love to see what these things look like on a semi-calm night. It was rather breezy at the demo.
    Not being able to speak is not the same as not having anything to say.

Ohhh, now I get it... Forest burning music!!!! Those things are not cool unless you are in the middle of the ocean and then it would still probably land on a oil platform Thought about buying one for a split second and then realized I like trees and fields and houses and oil platforms!

I have to agree with Mike in CO. I'm not convinced these things are safe. If there is a major disaster somewhere, as a result of these things, it will be another bad mark against the fireworks community.
    Doing a google search, I found a technical article indicating that they only work well when the temperature of the air is quite cool. I'm wondering if they'll work all, on the 4th of july when the temperature may be 80 or 90 degrees.

They are pretty much biodegradable.
    Tissue and bamboo. You can not get them wet or they will start desegregating.

the paper will not burn, it is treated with something that makes it fireproof.

I have launched them in 80+ degrees and had no problem.

We lit one right after a good rain in about 15 MPH winds just to see what would happen, it wobbled but it still went up and eventually out of sight.

After they get about 10 feet off the ground they seem to start moving up faster, I think this has something to do with the air under it moving and letting the flame heat better.

after you get them up unless there is major sudden gust of wind that rips the paper i really do not think it will come down.

I lit one with a quarter sized hole in it and it still worked.
    The chinese have been doing these for years by the millions a year.
    if they were that dangerous china would be have so many fires that they would have to do something or the whole country would be burned.

If you have not shot one you really should.

www.wafireworks.com Washington's year-round retail fireworks source

www.nwpyro.com Washington's wholesale fireworks source

www.npaclub.org Northwest Pyrotechnics Association

I set one off Saturday night. It was about 75 outside. That sucker went up so far and out of sight, it looked like a small star. Then it just flickered and went out. NOTE::: Probably not a good idea to let one go during flight times if you live in a flight path for small planes or near an airport.

Don't light near airports

BC, Thats what I thought!!!!! Live here on the lake and have alot of small aircraft flying over the lake. But they look cool! But I would hate too start a grass fire or burn down a home or have a plane hit it!

We operate close enough to an international airport that the FAA used to complain about our giant helium balloon we used to tether. Well, not that giant, but it takes about 8-10 big cylinders of helium to fill.
    www.wafireworks.com Washington's year-round retail fireworks source

www.nwpyro.com Washington's wholesale fireworks source

www.npaclub.org Northwest Pyrotechnics Association

We at Kneppy's was going to light these at our Demo Saturday night, but the breeze was too much - winds about 10-15 mph.
    it says on the pkg. not recommended over 5 mph on the winds. if you do - you definitely more wide open space. we had too many trees close by at our place.
    we will have to try again after we get rain this weekend.
    Joyce
    www.kneppysfireworks.com
    "Fireworks isn't just for July 4th anymore!"
    Member NFA, PaPyro Artists, WNYPA, Pa. Pyrotechnics Assoc., NLPC, NEOPG, PGI Cert.

I have 10, and can't wait to launch them all at the same time on the 4th of July. I hope there's no wind...it usually dies down around midnight on windy days in these parts.

P.S. Everything is biodegradable...some stuff biodegrades faster than other things. Paper biodegrades pretty fast.

Tonight was calm, and we have had recient rains. We lit 2 of them, they flew at lease a mile and then you could see this faint flicker, and the fire went out. The only thing not quickly biodegradeable is the 2 small pieces of wire. after launching a few of these, as long as you do it on a VERY calm night, and not id drought conditions, I think they are safe. They are very self righting, staying upright even when hit with a wind.

Mine came from Bigfireworks.
    Noel

New Member Array

Chris,
    The video is great. I really appreciate you shooting the video. As for all the concerns, I have shot over 100 of these lanterns in all conditions. From 80 degrees to below zero and they have always functioned perfectly. Also I have launched them in 30 mile an hour winds with no problem.
    As with many of you, before we imported them, we had many concerns. We were defintely concerned with fires but the paper is non-flamable. Also they burn out before they come down. I also wanted to make sure that they would function in windy conditions because you never know what people might do.
    These items like fireworks are not for everyone but you would not believe how much people love them. If anyone has any questions they can e-mail me at jim@bigfireworks.com .

James Stajos
    www.bigfireworks.com

Thanks,
    I'm glad you like the video! I was going to post the finale video...But the High def. video on your website blows mine away!! But I still get ok video off my 10 year old Sony High8. I will however post the link to get to your video!

http://www.bigfireworks.com/
    Rock On!!!

New Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Thanks,
    I'm glad you like the video! I was going to post the finale video...But the High def. video on your website blows mine away!! But I still get ok video off my 10 year old Sony High8. I will however post the link to get to your video!

http://www.bigfireworks.com/
    Rock On!!!
    Chris,
    I think it would be great if you posted your finale video. Ours does not show any of mine effects and very little of the sprinkler cakes. Were you able to get any of that?

jim@bigfireworks.com

Hello again, I wanted to post the video only. There are no "effects" on this one
    Here is the file:

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...71&ppuser=1886

As with many of you, before we imported them, we had many concerns. We were defintely concerned with fires but the paper is non-flamable. Also they burn out before they come down. I also wanted to make sure that they would function in windy conditions because you never know what people might do.
    These items like fireworks are not for everyone but you would not believe how much people love them. If anyone has any questions they can e-mail me at jim@bigfireworks.com .
    I apologize for beinga killjoy, but anyone who sells or uses these things is irresponsible in my opinion and I am pissed at the Pyro community for supporting their use by the public. I personally would not be able to sleep after I sent one of these things sailing across the horizon to land God knows where. If anything, the light metal debris could injure someone as it falls from the stratosphere at 100 miles per hour onto someone's head. Fireworks may be dangerous but at least I can monitor them and know the results. I'm sorry but the alleged remote downside of these items is not worth it. I can't imagine thousands of these things being let loose on a dry 4th of July night at thousands of locations throughout the US. Bad idea!!!
    ...the truth was obscure, too profound and too pure, to live it you had to, explode. - B. Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by jokerman View Post
    I apologize for beinga killjoy, but anyone who sells or uses these things is irresponsible in my opinion and I am pissed at the Pyro community for supporting their use by the public. I personally would not be able to sleep after I sent one of these things sailing across the horizon to land God knows where. If anything, the light metal debris could injure someone as it falls from the stratosphere at 100 miles per hour onto someone's head. Fireworks may be dangerous but at least I can monitor them and know the results. I'm sorry but the alleged remote downside of these items is not worth it. I can't imagine thousands of these things being let loose on a dry 4th of July night at thousands of locations throughout the US. Bad idea!!!
    You should not put something down until you try it.

You mention the debris falling at 100MPH.
    That is funny.
    I tell you what if you can prove that one of these thing fell from the sky at 25MPH I will sit down and EAT one.
    there is NO WAY they would do that. The only metal in them is two VERY small strands of wire that are attached to a HUGE tissue paper bag that acts like a parachute when it does burn out.

After they get up in the air they will not come down till they burn out AND the air inside them cools.

I tell you what.
    PM me your name and address and I will send you one to try out for yourself. After you set it off come back and report on what you think.

Hey Jeff
    I am so very with you! Here is my post from Pyro review on this item. Power to the People!

I have seen these wonderful items in China and they are so very much fun for the children and the families. I like them very much. Great Job to World Class for bringing them into the US market.

*To those of you that don't know this I feel compelled to let you know. Being a victim is not something that happens as the result of an occurrence or neglect. Feeling or worrying like a victim or potential victim has been proven to be a product of one's imagination. We all have a choice weather or not we are going to think like a victim or not. I refuse to allow myself to be a victim of the big bad "candle lantern" boogie man. If you lite one and it happens to affect someone negatively then I guess you will have to face the consequences. That is just the way it is. Other than that have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff wilson View Post
    You should not put something down until you try it.

You mention the debris falling at 100MPH.
    That is funny.
    I tell you what if you can prove that one of these thing fell from the sky at 25MPH I will sit down and EAT one.
    there is NO WAY they would do that. The only metal in them is two VERY small strands of wire that are attached to a HUGE tissue paper bag that acts like a parachute when it does burn out.

After they get up in the air they will not come down till they burn out AND the air inside them cools.

I tell you what.
    PM me your name and address and I will send you one to try out for yourself. After you set it off come back and report on what you think.
    GUNDERSON'S AMAZING FIREWORKS
    FIREWORKS SUPER OUTLET
    712-203-0666
    International & Domestic Fireworks Consultant
    brad.gunderson@gafinc.net

Skysalute

Default SkyCaptainUFOSky Lanterns

Hello Fellow Pyro Universals,
    Introducing THE Lastest, Greatest and SAFEST UFOSky Lanterns. Constructed of FIRE RETARDENT PAPER. The NEW SkyCaptainUFOSky Lanterns glow RED. They fly extremely HIGH and FAST. Dimensions are 18" X 36" Tall. The motor is a laminated "sandwich" of Cotton Fabric and Parafin that lights easily and burns consistently, providing a powerfull and effficiant lift. Unlike the older "lightbulb" style lanterns with the wax ring motor which were difficult to light and re-entered still smoldering. This is THE NEW GENERATION of safe Air Launched Illuminaries. These SkyCaptainUFOSky Lanterns will be available at the P.G.I. Convention "Fargo Firestorm 2007" in West Fargo North Dakota August 4th-11th. Message me for more information.
    Last edited by Colin; May 24th, 2007 at 10:38 PM.

*To those of you that don't know this I feel compelled to let you know. Being a victim is not something that happens as the result of an occurrence or neglect. Feeling or worrying like a victim or potential victim has been proven to be a product of one's imagination. We all have a choice weather or not we are going to think like a victim or not. I refuse to allow myself to be a victim of the big bad "candle lantern" boogie man. If you lite one and it happens to affect someone negatively then I guess you will have to face the consequences. That is just the way it is. Other than that have fun!
    Wow, although meant to be profound, that is an irresponsible way of looking at a matter of concern. Look, I believe that these things probably usually go without an issue, but I strongly believe that there will be some exceptions to the norm (there always are) and the benefit of saying "Oh look, how cool" does not outweigh the chance of a fire started from deep inside a wildlife refuge somewhere. Obviously, I'm the only one who wants to err on the side of caution on this matter and I will leave it alone now. Hope you sell a bajillion of them.

Oh btw, here is a story about fires started in Japan by people setting off sky lanterns. Wait, I thought it was impossible...this must be a figment of my imagination in my atempt to victimize myself and/or others.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../14/2003292955
    ...the truth was obscure, too profound and too pure, to live it you had to, explode. - B. Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by jokerman View Post
    Wow, although meant to be profound, that is an irresponsible way of looking at a matter of concern. Look, I believe that these things probably usually go without an issue, but I strongly believe that there will be some exceptions to the norm (there always are) and the benefit of saying "Oh look, how cool" does not outweigh the chance of a fire started from deep inside a wildlife refuge somewhere. Obviously, I'm the only one who wants to err on the side of caution on this matter and I will leave it alone now. Hope you sell a bajillion of them.

Oh btw, here is a story about fires started in Japan by people setting off sky lanterns. Wait, I thought it was impossible...this must be a figment of my imagination in my atempt to victimize myself and/or others.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../14/2003292955

you have one report of a fire in japan where these things are set off by the millions.
    they are also 99% home made over there.
    Chances are that the ones found were home made and may not have been made by someone who knows how to make them.
    There is no proof that they were what started the fire. all they have is the fact that some were found nearby.

I would think that if the lanterns started a fire chances are they would be burnt.

Think about how the media over here will associate any type accident with fireworks and make it look like the fireworks are so evil.
    Did you ever think that the media over there may be the same way?

I tell you what though.
    Tonight I will go out and light 5 of these just for you.
    I will even put your name on each one.

You are so scared about causing a fire but I bet you do not think a thing about driving down the road. A bolt could fall off your car and spark on the pavement and hit some dry leaves and that could cause a fire.
    Chances are it will not but you take that chance.

If you do not like them then do not light any but DO NOT try to force your opinion on other people. You sound like a crazed soccer mom.
    "Oh my god, think of the children/wildlife"

Member Array

Well, I have seen them in action and Feel They have no fire-threat at all!!! There's more of a therat when tossing cig's out the window! If you smoke you have done this once or twice in your Life But I don't!! I Feel There is much hype about this Lantern, It's OK, But maybe they could in the future Make one like a disco ball or a Tyed Dyed Trippy Lantern Or is it white so we can make it more interesting IT'S SAFE, But personally I'd much rather have a KITE They are FUN!!

I tell you what though.
    Tonight I will go out and light 5 of these just for you.
    I will even put your name on each one.
    While you're at it, why not tatoo my name on your ass. I see you are a supplier and perhaps selling these too? Maybe not. I'm sure everyone will rush to your aid and attack me good because you have a store.

You are so scared about causing a fire but I bet you do not think a thing about driving down the road. A bolt could fall off your car and spark on the pavement and hit some dry leaves and that could cause a fire.
    Chances are it will not but you take that chance.
    The difference is that I don't usually drive just for kicks and a fire near a roadway is accessible.

If you do not like them then do not light any but DO NOT try to force your opinion on other people. You sound like a crazed soccer mom.
    "Oh my god, think of the children/wildlife"
    Yeah and maybe you sound like an ignorant hick. I think this entire site is based on opinion. I have a degree in environmental science and also am personally concerned about all threats to our already endangered surroundings.
    Although there are a million ways for fires to get started, I would not do something whimsical to chance one.

I apologize that I have ruined this thread with my ranting opinion. Please start another one or continue and I will not say anything else.
    Last edited by jokerman; May 12th, 2007 at 05:15 PM.

Every one keeps talking about safty and environment. But we all use fireworks which are not good for the environment. And all have the possibility of starting fires. So I conclude sky lanterns are not any worse than lighting fireworks. Just my two cents worth.

Every one keeps talking about safty and environment. But we all use fireworks which are not good for the environment. And all have the possibility of starting fires. So I conclude sky lanterns are not any worse than lighting fireworks. Just my two cents worth.
    'Nuff said. I hope everyone enjoys them and they prove to be safe.

More cowbell!
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

Member Array

I agree. The Sky Lanterns that are being sold by the distributors posting in this thread are made out of fireproof material and are designed to burn out while still in the air. They are also biodegradable (other than a tiny piece of wire), and do not "pollute".

They would only be significantly dangerous if they malfunctioned or were launched in the wind. The chances of them being defective are slim, and launching them into the wind would amount to intentional misuse, just like holding a roman candle in one's hand. Otherwise, they float harmlessly into the air and only come down when the fuel burns out. I wouldn't even worry about small planes, helicopters, or other low flying aircraft. Unless you plan on launching these things in an area where they fly often, there is a very small chance of a plane or something actually flying near one of those tiny things.
    Staten Island, New York Pyrotechnician

Quote Originally Posted by schrapnel View Post
    More cowbell!
    Heh!

Went to a Blue Oyster Cult concert a few weekends ago. they were selling shirts that said, "Got Cowbell?".

Oh yeah, to the point...Jokerman starts to make a case in banning all fireworks being that they are all dangerous and unpredictable. So we here a PU take precautions to use them safely and to advise others to do the same. Sky Lanterns can be used safely untill they are launched, then become somewhat uncontrolled (i.e. used on a windy night) because you lose that once out of reach.

Personally, I don't see the major issue, but I get his point...you lose control of maintaining safety after they launch...kinda like UFOs, Planes, and the like. I use them too, but some people don't because they sometimes fly off in unpredictable directions.

That being said, I don't think it warrants nailing people to a cross because they use these.

Still, jokerman, I appreciate your additions, even if one might be a proverbial "poop in the punchbowl". One thing I've noticed on forums...particularly with this forum...is that a point to be made is usually unsuccessful if there is an addendum implying that "people are idiots if they..." or the like. There's a better way to make a point, and we're all ears (at least I try to be). I personally can not wait to see some of these, but I would be a little nervous if it was really windy.

[geek]
    And I must add my persnicketyness here...I believe it would be very difficult for this object to achieve a velocity of 100 mph or anything close, even if terminal. Assuming that it could go a mile up, I will assume it could reach terminal velocity. I'm calculating it to be roughly 3 mph, assuming the paper is attached to the wire and factoring in drag force.
    [/geek]