Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Information re: the NY State S and S Bill

Member Array

Default Re: Recent Information re: the NY State S&S Bill

I'm not entirely certain that this information is what you need, but Assembly Bill A07532 and it's accompanying bill in the Senate, S4816A regarding explosives has been stalled in Labor since 1/04/06.

Member Array

I contacted the office of the assembly bill's sponsor of the s&s legislation and nothing is moving. The governors vetoes of many parts of the budget have legislators scrambling. The legisaltive session ends June 22, so I'm not optimistic about any major overhaul of the ban by then. Next week I was promised some information so I'll let you know then.

Member Array

There is no movement on the fireworks legislation. I can't find out exactly why. The closest thing to a reason that I received is that it's not a priority for this legislative session. If I had a nickel for every time I heard that. The problem is in the assembly, not the senate. I'm going to keep digging for answers. I'm suspecting that the bill needs an overhaul and it can't be done by June 22.

I know that is bad news for many but probably even better news for many more. Sorry to have to put it that way. Richard. Thanks for keeping all of us up to date on this.
    And Legalize It for All.

Member Array

Thanks for the kind words Black Market. I was born in the city and spent many of my growing years on the island so I can empathize with the folks down there. The frustrating thing, however, is the slow movement on the part of legislators. It just seems like something catastrophic has to happen before you do see movement.

Member Array

How can I help as a fellow NYer?

Member Array

I don't think that there's too much that you can do at this point since the legislature ends this session June 21. It appears that the Assembly Codes Committee returned the bill to Assemblyman Tokasz for amendment and very little to nothing has been done with it there. You may want to contact your local assemblyman and Assemblyman Tokasz's office at LOB 926, Albany, NY-12248. Thanks for your interest.
    Last edited by Richard; May 20th, 2006 at 07:00 AM.

Member Array

When is the next session opened, and can another Bill be presented for that session?

Member Array

The bill's run in two year sessions, this being the second year for the fireworks bill. That means that if the bill fails this year, then next year it will have to be introduced from scratch. The next session of the legislature doesn't convene until January 2, 2007. The bill is written so that it doesn't take effect until November of the year it's introduced, effectively making a bill introduced in 2007 a bill for 2008 Fourth of July fireworks, assuming it's passed. If a bill was passed this year, fireworks wouldn't be legal until November, 2006 or Fourth of July, 2007. The lag between introduction and becoming law was why I originally pushed for something in this legislative session.

Member Array

The Assembly Codes Committee has informed me that the sponsor of the s&s bill in the assembly has assigned the bill priority status (Only about 20 bills each year receive this ). The bill was amended in April by the sponsor after he received the recommendations of the codes committee. I knew that it was amended then but I thought that the codes committee recommendations still hadn't come into play. I see only minor changes in the bill . I've been told that to attempt to move a bill out of the codes committee without following their recommendations usually doesn't work, if this is the case. The information that I have is only tentative so please don't get worked up one way or the other. I'm supposed to receive details next week so I'll pass them on.
    Last edited by Richard; May 23rd, 2006 at 10:40 AM.

Member Array

I appreciate the updates Richard thank you VERY much.

Where celebrating the independence of our country is illegal.

Thank you for the play by play updates!! Either way we look at it, wether it gets passed this year or not, at least we have somebody trying for us.

I'm sorry if I missed this part Richard, but has there been any news on the permit idea?
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money. G. Gordon Liddy

Member Array

I've heard nothing about the permit idea. I should be hearing something about the current s&s bill soon, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I've heard nothing about the permit idea. I should be hearing something about the current s&s bill soon, however.

That's not good at all
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money. G. Gordon Liddy

Member Array

The Assembly Codes Committee called me today to give me an update about the s&s bill. It seems like there's an attempt to push the bill through as is and the codes committeee, as I explained earlier in my rantings, isn't thrilled about the prospect. They don't like the idea that current penal law may be changed so drastically. There will be a meeting between the parties next week to discuss it. My recommendations were requested. That was all that I wanted to hear. I particularly pointed out my distaste for the change in the possession of "dangerous fireworks" as a crime instead of a violation. I also don't care for the possession of more than $50 worth of fireworks being considered a rebuttable presumption that they will be offered for sale. Finally, the permit idea for non-ground based items "will" be discussed. The bill may have to be re-introduced next year because of the time element.

Where celebrating the independence of our country is illegal.

I figure, push it threw the way it is, like it or lump it. Its something this state hasnt had in forever. Once its threw then take care of the minor details. As in the penelties for the offences.

Git Er Done I say!

Member Array

The assembly bill's sponsor has promised to seriously take into consideration the recommendations of the codes committee about their desire to retain the penalties as they are in current law. I certainly hope so since, as I said earlier, the bill will probably die in committee if they don't. The sponsor's hard line stance caused the bill to be held up prevously. The sponsor has made it very clear that he wants action on this bill, though. It's beginning to look like the new penalties will be removed and the old penal law will remain in effect. This really does nothing for the idiotic premise that the possession of $50 or more worth of fireworks is a presumption that they'll be offered for sale since this is current law. It will , however, delete the provision that the possession and use of dangerous fireworks (which is almost everything that's not safe and sane) will become a crime and will remain a violation. This should be good news for the NYC folks. The permit idea for non-safe and sane seems to have elicited a cool reception. I should have more definitive information next week so I'll pass it on. Even if we get a pure s&s bill, it still has to be ok'd by both houses of the legislature by June 22 and then signed by the governor. It's gonna be a cliffhanger. Hold on to your hats.
    Last edited by Richard; June 9th, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

Member Array

Even though this law will not help us here in SI, I'm still dying to see this thing passed. It's not much for us, but it's a great start. Thanks for all your hard work Richard, hopefully it pays off.

Member Array

Thanks alot Richard for all your help. Wow I remember this being dicussed last year on the old board.

What a change though.

I seriously hope this bill passes so:

A: We can shove it up the NYPD's arse that NY State made them legal
    B: So fellow upstate pyros can have some fun
    C: so we can shove up up the nypd's arse that all their BS tactics look like crap now that the whole state made them legal.

We can have everything tho, so nyc remains illegal i guess, hey at leats its not a crime.
    SI NY Pyromaniac since age 4.
    3 fireworks closest to my heart:
    Air Travels
    Thunder Bomb 16's
    Festival Balls

NYFireworkLover

I want this bill passed as much as anybody, but dont talk about the nypd that way, they're just doing their job.

Member Array

Sorry but I will talk about the nypd that way cause they are no prioritizing themselves on what is really important in our huge city of 6 million people.

Instead they are looking for easy BS outs and easy summonses just to make them look good in the eyes of about 1/10th of the community.
    SI NY Pyromaniac since age 4.
    3 fireworks closest to my heart:
    Air Travels
    Thunder Bomb 16's
    Festival Balls

As long as the discussion stays at least somewhat civil, I'm fine with it.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by pYroMatt
    Sorry but I will talk about the nypd that way cause they are no prioritizing themselves on what is really important in our huge city of 6 million people.

Instead they are looking for easy BS outs and easy summonses just to make them look good in the eyes of about 1/10th of the community.
    I have to agree with you on that. The Staten Island cops are basically one big country club. They would much rather go after easy summonses than violent crime. This joke of a crackdown isn't entirely their fault though. You can blame the whiny minority and ignorant politicians like Oddo for it. I still resent the cops here for outright lying to the public about the dangers of fireworks. There really needs to be a crackdown on police laziness and stupidity. Where's the IAB when you really need them?

NYFireworkLover

Quote Originally Posted by SINYpyro
    I have to agree with you on that. The Staten Island cops are basically one big country club. They would much rather go after easy summonses than violent crime.

I take it personally sometimes when people badmouth the cops because I have a alot of family in the law, but I do know quite a few lazy cops who really should not be cops, so I do have some understanding for you guys. Anyway back on topic, looking foward to some news.

Your doing a great job Richard, keep up the good work!

Member Array

Recent information from both the Assembly Codes Committee and the Assembly Sponsor indicates that the s&s bill is going nowhere. The communication between the two doesn't seem to be great and I'm hearing the age old excuse about other items being of greater priority. I don't know what the future will hold. I'm sorry to say that it doesn't sound positive at this time. The continuing uproar from NYC is not helping things any.
    Last edited by Richard; June 24th, 2006 at 08:45 AM.

Member Array

Today I spoke with the office of the assembly sponsor of the s&s bill. They told me that they and the codes committee couldn't come to terms about the penalty provisions of the bill so, as I explained why earlier, the bill died in committee. This bill has been introduced each year since 2001 so I don't think that we've seen the end of it. We now have a chance for a new bill in January of 2007 without the nasty penalties of this one. Let your local legislators know what you want, but be realistic. We're not going to get complete legalization of 1.4 at this time. The best that could be hoped for is an s&s bill with a reasonable permit for the other items and reasonable penalties if the law is ignored.
    Last edited by Richard; June 29th, 2006 at 04:04 PM.

ugh...

Member Array

Kentucky may loosen up on it's s&s law by allowing a reasonable permit for the other items. The sponsor of their bill which became law claims that he always intended to allow people to obtain permits for aerial and other items. Also, a female legislator in Michigan is promising to introduce legislation next year to make Michigan's law similar to that of Indiana's. I intend to point this out to our NY State Legislators since I feel that the Empire State hasn't been so in many years. I would encourage you to keep after your local legislators and be persistent. Local ones are the most responsive. The s&s bill came close to reaching a vote on the floor of the assembly and senate since they both had all of their ducks in a row. The sponsors didn't count on the backlash about the penalties that they proposed, however. I honestly believe that this bill isn't going to go away. The nonsense that is emanating from the Mayor Bloomberg Administration in NYC is shameful. A pre-1940 mentality (when our ban took effect ) is rampant. It's nice to see at least some articles that explain the truth as it really is. Some form of S&s has been allowed in the congested Washington, DC area for many years without much incident. If the truth about fireworks was allowed to surface, it could also be so in NYC. It's unfortunate that the population of the state wasn't allowed a referendum to vote on whether or not to legalize fireworks, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. I also do a slow burn when I think of people incurring a criminal record for the repeated use of fireworks, especially when they're young. I'd like to know why they may be viewed the same as a common criminal just because they want to celebrate our nation's independence.
    Last edited by Richard; July 1st, 2006 at 04:28 PM.