Thread: Which Pyro Depot firing panel?

Member Array

Default Which Pyro Depot firing panel?

Hello,

I have looked around the internet and read lots of forums, but I am having trouble. I fire my shows using nichrome wire threaded through my visco fuses. I know from forum reading that some systems sold by Pyro Depot will not fire nichrome wire properly, compared to e-matches.

I can only spend around $300, and I need at least ten firing cues. Wireless would also be my preference, though I can go non-wireless if necessary. Which system(s) from Pyro Depot do you think would work well for me and be able to fire my visco fuses using nichrome wire?

I really like the 16-cue wireless system from Pyro Depot, but I'm not sure that can fire my nichrome wire.

I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Thank you,
    Joe Schneider

Default Re: Which Pyro Depot firing panel?

Have you looked at these...

http://www.z11pyro.com/controllers.html

Member Array

Thanks for the link, Bob. However, none of these systems have the number (10+) of cues that I need. They all also seem to be low voltage units designed for use with e-matches only. However, I'll go over the page again and make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks,
    Joe Schneider

Member Array

I am rapidly coming to the decision that my nichrome wire method, while working very well, is not the best way to do it. I may take the plunge into e-matches after all. What opinions do any of you have regarding the many wireless firing systems available online. I'll assume any of them can fire e-matches with relative ease. Are there any preferred ones? I'm thinking the 12-cue Chinese import from Skylighter ($300, GN6021, http://www.skylighter.com/images/web...res/gn6021.jpg) or the 16-cue remote system from Pyro Depot ($275, http://www.pyrodepot.net/store/index...products_id=6). Naturally, I am open to other suggestions for a good wireless system. My only requirements (assuming I go with e-matches) are that it has to fit into my price range and have at least ten cues.

Thank you,
    Joe Schneider

p.s. My apologies for asking for all of this information which is probably already out there. However, there is so much to read that I simply do not have the time to find all of the information out there right now. So, I'm hoping those of you who have experience with these or similar systems can lend me a hand. Thanks!

Here's a system in your price range.
    If you can find a good source for rocket igniters or e-matches I think it's a good option.
    http://pyrotubes.com/product_info.ph...products_id=38

I haven't used the system but I haven't read anything bad about them.

Member Array

Thanks Deweycoon. That unit looks like a good setup. I like the four "receivers" with four cues each. That would mean less shooting wire all over my firing area. Also it allows me to spread my show out better. Do you happen to know what powers that unit? There must be batteries in each little receiver station???

Thanks,
    Joe Schneider

The man behind the madness Array Diamond Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schneijt View Post
    Thanks Deweycoon. That unit looks like a good setup. I like the four "receivers" with four cues each. That would mean less shooting wire all over my firing area. Also it allows me to spread my show out better. Do you happen to know what powers that unit? There must be batteries in each little receiver station???

Thanks,
    Joe Schneider
    4 double A's power these receivers.

Diamond Dave
    Member PGI

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    4 double A's power these receivers.

Diamond Dave
    Member PGI
    Thanks. More than enough power for each e-match.

-Joe

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

I am rapidly coming to the decision that my nichrome wire method, while working very well, is not the best way to do it. I may take the plunge into e-matches after all.
    Please note, to purchase e-matches you need to have a BATF license. They are also expensive. But you can make them with out a license. Check out this page.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/DIY.htm
    You can also find ideas on this forum if you look under the fusing section.

Have you considered making your own firing system. You could make a pretty nice system for $300. If you make your own firing system you can make it so it fires wire-wrapped or through the core nichrome igniters. There are some examples of firing system you can make on the aforementioned page as well in examples in this forum. There is even a 1 hour discussion on how to make your own firing system on Bob Weaver's Pyro Video 9.
    http://www.fireworksland.com/store/c...at=PYROvideo+9
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRatman View Post
    Please note, to purchase e-matches you need to have a BATF license. They are also expensive. But you can make them with out a license. Check out this page.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/DIY.htm
    You can also find ideas on this forum if you look under the fusing section.
    Thanks, Joe. I was planning on a DIY e-match kit. No need to go through the trouble of buying premade ones when they're so easy to dip yourself. I fly model rockets and dip many of my own igniters, so this is essentially the same thing with a different pyrogen material.

Thanks,
    Joe Schneider

Member Array

System has been purchased! I'm getting a 12-cue unit from Dave. Three remote 4-cue "stations" with one transmitter. Not the fanciest or most feature-packed system, but all I need is to push a button and light a single cue at a time. It'll be nice having three separate receivers; less shooting wire and I can spread things out over a greater area. I'll be sure to post my thoughts and initial tests with the unit once it arrives next week.

-Joe

Member Array

Well, Dave is still waiting to get the units in. Bummer! Perhaps I'll get lucky and they'll arrive in time for him to get mine to me by the end of the week. We'll see.

-Joe