Thread: Proximate Pyrotechnics

Default Proximate Pyrotechnics

Sory mods dident know where to put this. Do you need a special permit to buy Proximate Pyrotechnics?
    Neopg
    PGI

Visit www.StarFireSales.com

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

Default Re: Proximate Pyrotechnics

Well in some states you need a special license to use them, especially indoors. If you didn't have the license, then it would be rather useless to buy proximate pyro items.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by lil pyro
    Sory mods dident know where to put this. Do you need a special permit to buy Proximate Pyrotechnics?
    Generally no, but in the present environment some of the close prox suppliers are asking for some type of documentation....

That being said....

You are in Ohio....So here's the deal. You need an 1126 license to shoot the product....You will also need insurance. And will (and should) have another set of product to demonstrate that it can be used safely in the venue. Most fire officials are particularly nervous about indoor stuff since the Rhode Island incident and because most don't know ANYTHING about close prox.

And in general, if you don't have experience with indoor or close prox i would strongly reccommend that you get some help on site from someone who does.

GK

Here in Illinois you have to have documented proof that you worked 10 indoor/close prox shows before you can be licensed (along with $300 bucks!)

Premier is lucky to have one of the top notch indoor/close prox guys in the business on their payroll....and an excellent teacher I might add!
    BATFE FEL Permittee
    IL & MO Lead Operator
    Voting Member, NFPA
    PGI Member
    CDL Class C License w/Hazmat Endorsement & J-10 Restriction
    BHFPD Firefighter & Illinois First Responder Defibrillator

Quote Originally Posted by lil pyro
    Do you need a special permit to buy Proximate Pyrotechnics?
    Yes, you need a BATFE permit at least. Your state & local laws may require more.
    All close prox pyro is ignited with an e-match igniter or is actually manufactured with the match installed. This is what makes it a BATFE issue.
    'Life should end at the grave skidding in sideways - A salute in one hand - Lit match in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'What a Ride!'

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    All close prox pyro is ignited with an e-match igniter or is actually manufactured with the match installed. This is what makes it a BATFE issue.
    There are still a few items that can be purchased without an ematch, but since that is their intended operation I would say Marty's got the correct call.

Even if there was a loophole here you are unlikey to find a supplier to use it....Remember the operative phrase these days is 'CYA'.

GK

I'll rephrase,
    All of the manufacturers I deal with require a BATFE license citing the e-match issue. So when I sell to a customer, I require the same for the same reason. Even tho "technically" I could legally sell a gerb to a state licensed pyro professional sans e-match.

Hope this helps.
    'Life should end at the grave skidding in sideways - A salute in one hand - Lit match in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'What a Ride!'

On some occasions I have used some larger indoor pyro for outdoor shows...such has large mines or foutains or airbursts...and I don't have the specific license here in IL...I used them from my supplier that since they were not being used indoors it wasn't a problem...they all have EX numbers, and do not exceed the requirments for 1.3g pyro...but thats only for the case of using them outdoors..which I was really happy with the mines...quite impressive...althought I believe they are more expensive than standard 1.3g mines...I'm not quite sure why they were sent by the supplier, but hey if he sends it I'll shoot it...
    Extreme Pyrotechnics LLC
    Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources Explosives Handler
    Illinois OSFM Lead Operator
    "BATFE DOT NFPA DNR OSFM pyro is alphabet soup"
    Finale Fireworks
    cjurczak.com

The bottom line is what happens if something goes wrong. If there is an accident and someone is hurt, or there is extensive property damage, then every part of your operation will be under a microscope with the Federal and State authorities. If you stay out of jail, that's half the battle. Then you have to fight the ambulance chasers in order to keep your house, your property, and prevent your wages from being garnished for the rest of your life.