Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOX News...Feds to outlaw Exploding Targets likely

Default FOX News...Feds to outlaw Exploding Targets likely

It's been coming. Read it on Fox News online, this morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/06...used-for-ieds/
    Last edited by graybeard; August 6th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    let the show begin.....

Default Re: FOX News...Feds will outlaw Exploding Targets most likely.....

Quote Originally Posted by SoundColorfulBird View Post
    It's been coming. Can't post the link for some reason. Read it on Fox News online, this morning.
    yeah the big push i heard last night on the news was that the targets are "starting forest fires"

no mention of the people who are irresponsible enough to use the exploding targets in an area prone to wildfires... typical mass media... blame the object being misused.

not the idiot misusing the object.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

Geek, Pyro, Patriot Array BobThePyro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St1dinoh View Post
    yeah the big push i heard last night on the news was that the targets are "starting forest fires"

no mention of the people who are irresponsible enough to use the exploding targets in an area prone to wildfires... typical mass media... blame the object being misused.

not the idiot misusing the object.
    It's easier. Objects can't sue for libel.
    WARNING: May post before caffeine is installed.

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." - Derek Bok

Last one to become a supporting member is a vegetarian!

Member Array

To be honest I'm surprised it was ever legal.....I have shot a lot of tannerite and 5lbs is pretty destructive.....

Another step towards a nanny state.

Now I'll have to buy the two components separately.
    KCAP - Charter Member
    Kansas City Area Pyros

It seems more likely the Feds fear bomb makers, more than any danger to forest lands. After the Times Square bomber, and the Boston Bombers supposedly using fireworks, and a number of stories initiated by the Fed's complaining about the availability of the exploding targets....Watch out for a whole new version of the Homeland Protection Act that affects our interests.

Here's a similar story, It's fairly old, and previously posted, but it gives you an idea of the mindset of the Feds on this issue:
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/tannerite/
    Last edited by graybeard; August 6th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

They could just ban ETs like fireworks are banned in National Forests & Grasslands. But that's too Simple.
    let the show begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    It seems more likely the Feds fear bomb makers, more than any danger to forest lands. After the Times Square bomber, and the Boston Bombers supposedly using fireworks, and a number of stories initiated by the Fed's complaining about the availability of the exploding targets....Watch out for a whole new version of the Homeland Protection Act that affects our interests.

Here's a similar story, It's fairly old, and previously posted, but it gives you an idea of the mindset of the Feds on this issue:
    http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/tannerite/
    ^this

look i know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, and mr tanner is a very cool guy based on the few conversations i've had with him...

but we all know it's not that difficult for some nut to figure out once he/she understands the whole "primary+secondary" concept.

for what it's worth in this discussion, we should at least acknowledge that it is a powerful easy to obtain item which can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

we've all seen the geo metro video...
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

I've noticed that Tannerite has really been pushing the "does not start fires" point lately. "Tannerite® brand targets will not start fires "

I really hate when the Govt makes laws to restrict our rights but at the same time I can't believe they haven't been regulated yet....
    Fireworks....yay!

Ahh, it's good for business.

Notice how easy it is to get PMags now? lol
    FYI, if in doubt, no, I'm probably not being serious...

It figures. No sense in letting responsible people have fun. When will a politician EVER realize that criminals don't obey law's? What's next? Outlawing acetylene? Cold packs?..........
    Is there ever enough Pyro?

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by SoundColorfulBird View Post
    They could just ban ETs like fireworks are banned in National Forests & Grasslands. But that's too Simple.
    This has already been done in OR and WA forests. But, saying that in the media would take some of the wind out of the "we've got to do something" theme.
    BATF 50
    Member PGI, BPG, NFA
    PGI Certified Display Operator

However, a civilian police bomb technician contractor who was responsible for evaluating and reassembling IEDs from Afghanistan in 2007 tells FoxNews.com he came across a bottle of Tannerite in a box of IED components from the war zone.

"I was confused as to why it was in a box with IED components and how people got hold of it to use against our troops," said the contractor, who declined to be identified because of the classified nature of the project he was involved in. "I know what I saw because I took the Tannerite out of the box myself."
    Particularly enjoyed that tidbit. Unidentified, and more than likely not vetted, person sends an e-mail to FoxNews.com with the highly suspicious statement that he found a labeled bottle of Tannerite (not the standard two bottles) in a box of IED components sent home to him for purposeless recreation, and they publish the statement. Way to go Fox News.

not that exploding targets aren't dangerous, but people die from the numerous other dangerous things out there.

ban dihydrogen monoxide
    Permitted section 212 in the 242

How pyro-u works...
    FireBug270 " I would freely help him out because he clearly isn't one of the guys who shows up twice a year and asks for sh*t."

Quote Originally Posted by minor View Post
    ban dihydrogen monoxide
    Love it hahaha
    We were messing with people with that one before the internet even hahah

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    Professional Pyro..
    No really; I get paid to blow stuff up...

Quote Originally Posted by ziptie2k2 View Post
    It figures. No sense in letting responsible people have fun.
    As we all know, it's not the responsible people that are the problem...
    Fireworks....yay!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but under the old classifications Class B & Class A explosives, wasn't the divding line between B & A how fast each burned? A Class A explosive had to burn at a rate of at least 22,500 feet per second or faster to be regarded as A type. Class B exploded at a burn rate of under that number. Oh. I should mention that I'm talking about a salute vs. dynamite.
    If that deviding line is still being used, then I wonder what Tannerite's burn rate is?
    let the show begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    Just like with fireworks. 99% of people who use them enjoy them in a safe and responsible manner. Then you have the 1% of a-holes who get their buddies to film their "hold my beer and watch this" moment and low and behold it ends up on Youtube for the whole world to see. So nice that the anti's and others only focus on the stupidity of the 1% but want to punish everyone (in this case everyone who enjoys fireworks). Makes me vomit every time I see a negative fireworks article because you know its going to be about some clown who hurt himself or others or burned down a house or whatever because he was super drunk and thought it would be funny to take his illegally obtained 1.3 shell, light it and throw it up in the air and see what happens.....
    "Wisdom derives more from mistakes and failures than from success."

BATF Type 54

Quote Originally Posted by St1dinoh View Post
    ^this

look i know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, and mr tanner is a very cool guy based on the few conversations i've had with him...

but we all know it's not that difficult for some nut to figure out once he/she understands the whole "primary+secondary" concept.

for what it's worth in this discussion, we should at least acknowledge that it is a powerful easy to obtain item which can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

we've all seen the geo metro video...
    That's the core of the issue right there. The first time I saw it used I said "whoa, this stuff is off the shelf?". It was really only a matter of time.
    PGI Certified Display Operator
    Display Shooter D&M Fireworks

not helping are the legions of idiots putting up youtube vids showing 5-100 lb explosions of the stuff. stock up on an and al while you can.
    My old catalogs can be found here
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...y.php/cat/1220
    and old and new flyers and ads here
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...y.php/cat/1268

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    Yeah, that was what I was trying to get at. Attempting to protect the idiots at the expense of the responsible. It's getting old. A moron is a moron, and will do stupid things no matter what rules and laws are in place.
    Is there ever enough Pyro?

Well ...I'm surprised all the exploding targets still on the market are being sold. My Father invented and manufactured the Original Dapkus Bullzeye Exploding target. . BATFE banned the device in 2003 for public use, but allowed sales to only High Explosive license users...There was no market after that decision by BATFE

Since 1984 to 2003, 25 million Dapkus Bullzeye targets were sold to the public.

I'd have to agree with making it difficult to come by. Our borders are porous (at best), have shown "they" want to do us harm at home and for a paltry amount of money can cause serious amounts of human damage in crowded areas.

It sucks, yes, but I don't care to watch the news for the next Boston with Xmas coming around the corner and packed malls, etc...
    -2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by WWhite View Post
    I'd have to agree with making it difficult to come by. Our borders are porous (at best), have shown "they" want to do us harm at home and for a paltry amount of money can cause serious amounts of human damage in crowded areas.

It sucks, yes, but I don't care to watch the news for the next Boston with Xmas coming around the corner and packed malls, etc...
    http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may...al/me-market22

...back in 2003 an old guy accidentally plows his car through a market, kills 10, injures 63. Our most dangerous and easily obtained weapons aren't bullets or explosives for doing mass damage in crowded places, but let's hope nobody ever figures that out.
    KCAP - Charter Member
    Kansas City Area Pyros

Quote Originally Posted by pyro chris View Post
    http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may...al/me-market22

...back in 2003 an old guy accidentally plows his car through a market, kills 10, injures 63. Our most dangerous and easily obtained weapons aren't bullets or explosives for doing mass damage in crowded places, but let's hope nobody ever figures that out.

Yea, you're right, b/c the 264 injured and 3 dead in Boston pales in comparison. Or the hundreds of millions of dollars it is estimated to cost Boston (or more likely the u.s. taxpayers) spent in the man-hunt for the 2 suspects.

I know where you're coming from, but you're a bit off-base honestly.
    -2 cents

Yea, you're right, b/c the 264 injured and 3 dead in Boston pales in comparison. Or the hundreds of millions of dollars it is estimated to cost Boston (or more likely the u.s. taxpayers) spent in the man-hunt for the 2 suspects.

I know where you're coming from, but you're a bit off-base honestly.
    3 dead does pale in comparison to 10 dead, especially when one was an accident and one was on purpose. One is easily available, and still will be with a little bit of knowledge even after the common components are banned, and the other is extremely available.

Can you really count the cost of the manhunt? That could happen in virtually any scenario. Look at what balloon boy cost.

Really, I think you're not giving enough credit to alternative simple ways to do just as much damage as the more conventional ways the media has pounded into peoples minds.
    KCAP - Charter Member
    Kansas City Area Pyros

While as many didn't die in Boston, how many lost limbs, or both limbs? An 86 year old old man who plowed thru trying to get away from another accident. So, from your logic, they should take semis and start plowing thru gatherings? The psychological impact of bombs exploding are more effective in advancing the goals of a terrorist organization. While a 'dirty bomb' isn't terribly effective in true mass casualty (per statistics when compared to other means of terrorism), the psychological effects far outweigh the human and property cost.

You can say "they are winning" b/c pre-9/11, look at the freedoms we had and the freedoms which were taken away since. If one of their goals was to take those away, they have accomplished that. Living in fear of the next attack or the next new means of attack is part of the psy ops. of any terrorist organization in furthering their goals.

That's my 2 cents on the topic.
    -2 cents

The boston bombers didn't use ET, so they would be an example of it will happen anyway, to me at least.

edit if you read superfreakenomics it has some interesting points, like the DC snipers being more effective than the 9/11 attackers.
    Permitted section 212 in the 242

How pyro-u works...
    FireBug270 " I would freely help him out because he clearly isn't one of the guys who shows up twice a year and asks for sh*t."

Quote Originally Posted by minor View Post
    edit if you read superfreakenomics it has some interesting points, like the DC snipers being more effective than the 9/11 attackers.
    Only read the first: Freakonomics, will have to put it on my reading list.
    -2 cents

"They" will always find something to do harm with. You can ban everything "they" use until you have banned everything on the planet and "they" will still be there, "they" will still "terrorize". It's their job.

Don't fall for the let's make it harder to get BS. It won't work. Never has. Never will.
    www.pyinthesky.com
    BATFE Licensed Manufacturer of Explosives
    Type 2 & Type 4 Magazines
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP