Thread: Bernzomatic TS4000 trouble

Default Bernzomatic TS4000 trouble

Last night, I used my torch to light a couple things. It is damp in this area, but it was not raining. I screwed up and left the torch sitting outside last night. By nature, the first thing I do when I pick it up is make sure it works. This morning when I went out to get it, I tried it and no dice... It is clicking, and there is gas coming out. I blew in the end of it and put it inside to hopefully dry out... Tonight, still no dice. Anyone had this issue? Is there a particular thing I should look for in it to fix it? Any help would be great!
    Thanks.
    This is the greatest Country on earthLets celebrate!!
    Illinois explosives license
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

Default Re: Bernzomatic TS4000 trouble

Do you see it sparking in the flame tube? I assume no...
    Fireworks....yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish25p2000 View Post
    Last night, I used my torch to light a couple things. It is damp in this area, but it was not raining. I screwed up and left the torch sitting outside last night. By nature, the first thing I do when I pick it up is make sure it works. This morning when I went out to get it, I tried it and no dice... It is clicking, and there is gas coming out. I blew in the end of it and put it inside to hopefully dry out... Tonight, still no dice. Anyone had this issue? Is there a particular thing I should look for in it to fix it? Any help would be great!
    Thanks.
    Try lighting the torch with a lighter.
    If the torch lights, the gas delivery is OK.
    Sounds like the piezo cyrstal is shot or shorted from the moisture.
    Don't know if you can replace them like the BBQ grill igniters.
    So if the torch lights, let it burn awhile and it may dry out the crystal.

Hope this helps!

MagicBill

Blitz, I see no spark. Bill, I lit it with a lighter and gas is fine. I ran it for about 35 seconds and it did not re-light on its own. I will light immidiately when you put a spark to the nozzle.
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

the piezo module is far from where the heat is so leaving it running to dry won't do anything.

first I would unscrew the tip. LIGHTLY sand the very tip edge of the middle wire (they're usually blue) and see if that did it. Sometimes they build up a gunk/scum/blah on them. You can use sandpaper, steel wool, a nail file, whatever.... Just be careful with bending the blue wire.

If that doesn't work you can either wait a few more days for it to dry out on its own or try to take it apart. I've never done it, so I don't know the exact way to do it. I assume you would remove the hex screw above the on/off igniter button. The red button might then slide out and I'm assuming the piezo module is right under that (rectangle box).
    Fireworks....yay!

Oh... and I shouldn't have to mention this, but do it with the propane tank disconnected!
    Fireworks....yay!

Thanks man. I'll give it a shot.
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

I have had to let mine dry out for a while if it got wet, but never took the head apart. Sometimes when the rain comes you grab more expensive things than the torch head first.
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

Fixed it!!! I tried the lightly sanding thing. That didn't cut it. I ended up taking the entire torch apart and wiping down/sanding any surfaces that needed it. I took the piezo box out and cleaned it also. I don't know what did it, but after doing that about three times, she fires like a gun. Perfect! Thanks for the input guys! I would be interested in getting another piezo box though... Those torches are built to last. Everything in them is either brass or cast. The only plastic part in them is the piezo box. If I can get some, I'll grab like 5 of em... Anyone else want one if I can get some?
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

Sure, sure catfish if the price is right. I cannot have enough flame...heh glad I have not had any problems yet with my TS4000. All my other torches have failed me one time or another

Hey Fish, I've had these torches apart a hundred times. Even fabbed my own parts from billet stock. If you need any more help let me know.
    Last edited by bd911; January 29th, 2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: missed a word or two

Back in the day when I smoked & inhaled, I used to use electronic lighters.
    After the lighters ran out of gas, I diassembled them and robbed the piezo igniter out of the lighter as it still worked in producing a spark.
    I must have like 20 or so of those modules sitting around in a box.
    I'm sure they use something similar in that torch.

When you disassembled the torch and dried everything out, you wiped off the water that was probably short circuiting around the module. That piezo crystal produces a high voltage spark just from the pressure on the quartz crystal. Even rain water is conductive for high voltage and it was probably short circuiting inside and failed to produce the spark.

Glad you got it working again.
    And I hope you learned your lesson about leaving your tools in the rain!

Peace,

MagicBill

Purveyor of Cosmic Debris Array Jimbo's Avatar

Try blowing it a little more.......
    PGI & BPG Member

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced."
    ― Frank Zappa

Member Array

The torches are certainly built to last. I had the same issue after using one in the rain. A good drying out cured it though.
    Midwest Fireworks Festival
    Proud to be a Heartland member
    PGI member
    http://www.heartlandpyro.org/
    Type 20

I sent Bernzomatic an e-mail. No dice on the piezos. They will fix your torch or send you a new one. If it wasn't from abuse....
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish25p2000 View Post
    I sent Bernzomatic an e-mail. No dice on the piezos. They will fix your torch or send you a new one. If it wasn't from abuse....
    Got a pic of it? chances are we can find the same one or a close replacement.
    Fireworks....yay!

Member Array

Modified TS4000, with ignitor and parts from ACME

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flamethrower.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	25071
    Midwest Fireworks Festival
    Proud to be a Heartland member
    PGI member
    http://www.heartlandpyro.org/
    Type 20

Thunderstruck Array jonkelley82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    This is the one and only "cheap" part in the torch. I use mine more than most people ever would. Mine stopped "clicking" a long while ago. I still got gas flow, just no spark. (mine did not get wet) I took it apart and inserted a small spacer in the housing where the piezo rests under the button, the re-assembled the torch. This allowed the small plunger/button on the black piezo box to be pushed a bit further than intended, which as a result I now get spark. All is good in torchy-land again.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. I don't know if less is more, but I am constantly trying to do more with less!

Our 2012 Finale - Our 2011 Finale - Our 2010 Finale

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    I'm afraid to take the damn thing apart again. I'm just sure that if I do... No more sparky...
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA