Thread: New Michigan law and noise ordinances

Member Array

Default New Michigan law and noise ordinances

Well the new Michigan law has citizens pretty pissed that there dogs are flipping out between 9PM and 11PM and many seem to be heading down to township meetings in droves demanding fireworks are evil and a disturbance to all peace (from those I have heard complain, it seems to always be the dog that drives them to the edge of actually calling). Having looked at a number of local noise ordinances, most only allow for noise between 0-60 decibels past 9PM which basically allows for a Normal conversation at 3'. So basically I would think you could always get a noise violation for igniting any firework at any time of the day if you live in a residential area.

This is where it gets fuzzy, the law states "A local unit of government may enact an ordinance regulating the ignition, discharge, and use of consumer fireworks. However, an ordinance enacted under this subsection shall not regulate the use of consumer fireworks on the day preceding, the day of, or the day after a national holiday." Does this trump the noise ordinance as well or since the noise ordinance was not "enacted under this subsection" (whatever that means) will cops still be at peoples doors to issue $100 noise violation tickets when there oversensitive neighbors make a phone call?

Default Re: New Michigan law and noise ordinances

Quote Originally Posted by dkm View Post
    ......the law states "A local unit of government may enact an ordinance regulating the ignition, discharge, and use of consumer fireworks. However, an ordinance enacted under this subsection shall not regulate the use of consumer fireworks on the day preceding, the day of, or the day after a national holiday." Does this trump the noise ordinance as well or since the noise ordinance was not "enacted under this subsection"?...
    I'm not a legal eagle, but I think this is going to end up in the courts for interpretation.
    You also have to expect that there will be many challenges to the state law by this being the first year.
    Last edited by lava; June 29th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.

The state has its hands full here. From everyone "in the know" that I have chatted with, the law currently does not regulate usage hours, nor do noise ordinances apply.....for now. I'm sure that will change soon.
    CDL-B w/ HAZ-MAT

Member Array

How does a noise ordinance not apply if I ignite something noisy from my private property that resides in a township that has a noise ordinance?

Geek, Pyro, Patriot Array BobThePyro's Avatar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah. Noise is noise. Doesn't matter what's making it. So be sure to call the cops about the loud party, the screaming kids, the barking dogs, the obnoxious car stereos, Harleys, cars driving by (louder than 60db), etc.
    WARNING: May post before caffeine is installed.

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." - Derek Bok

Last one to become a supporting member is a vegetarian!

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by BobThePyro View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah. Noise is noise. Doesn't matter what's making it. So be sure to call the cops about the loud party, the screaming kids, the barking dogs, the obnoxious car stereos, Harleys, cars driving by (louder than 60db), etc.
    Bit ironic its all measured in DBs

bunch o folks went nuts last year when aerials where legalized in Utah. they legalized about 30 straight days of shooting with no time limits other than local noise ordinances.
    This year the legislature tightened up the days and hours of use. expect something similar there.
    My old catalogs can be found here
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...y.php/cat/1220
    and old and new flyers and ads here
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...y.php/cat/1268

Member Array

Its still a novelty here. Once the fotrth is over and the newness of having legal fireworks wears off people will start to calm down. Fortunately until then I live in a township that has not put forth any type of ordinance yet.

It looks as if everyone in Michigan is not happy with the new laws. Check out this news story/discussion from Fox News.
    Impact Pyro, Inc.
    Tennessee Certified Outdoor Display Operator
    BATFE 54 - User of Explosives
    PGI Member

Purveyor of Cosmic Debris Array Jimbo's Avatar

That guy should run for president......talk about logic and common sense!
    PGI & BPG Member

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced."
    ― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Doesn't that disqualify him from running for public office?
    Impact Pyro, Inc.
    Tennessee Certified Outdoor Display Operator
    BATFE 54 - User of Explosives
    PGI Member

Member Array

I don't know about you guys, but I have yet to hear much noise from fireworks this year. Has usage really increased all that much?

Things have been especially quiet up north, but perhaps that could be due to the fact that people no longer feel the need to bring their fireworks to less policed areas. However in Lake Orion and other parts of the metro Detroit area, things don't seem any louder than previous years. Perhaps even quieter, but my memory isn't good enough to accurately say.

It's been quiet around me, too. It's basically the idiot mayor of Warren and the idiot mayor and idiot city council of Grand Rapids squaking...

And somebody give me smelling salts. Faux News used "consumer fireworks", not "commercial-grade", and the presenter went out of her way to bring focus to the fact that the MI law allows just consumer fireworks. Still disappointed, though, with yet more context-less statistics.

I wish Mittenblaster would share his story from this past weekend.......where are you Greg????
    PGI & BPG Member

― Frank Zappa

Fire marshall allowed us to clear guns until after midnight even with a pissed off neighbor bitching at us lol.
    Member HPA
    Type 54
    PGI shooters Course

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guy/gal knew (or was told and he/she listened) pyro is safest when it's in the air doig it's thing. +1 to him/her.

Member Array

That lawyer made a lot of sense. I just wish he would have been armed with more facts about other legal items that cause injuries or how many fires are started by the improper use of candles. In 2010 fireworks were determine to be the cause of 1100 structure fires that cause 2 deaths and $38 million in property damage. In 2010 candles were the cause of 12,860 structure fires, 136 deaths, and $431 million in propery damage. How many laws are there that regulate the sale and use of candles?
    Last edited by Digitalbooomer; July 3rd, 2012 at 04:48 AM.

The man behind the madness Array Diamond Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I would vote for him. F the nanny states.

Diamond Dave
    America
    Land of the free......Because of the brave

Having looked at a number of local noise ordinances, most only allow for noise between 0-60 decibels past 9PM which basically allows for a Normal conversation at 3'. So basically I would think you could always get a noise violation for igniting any firework at any time of the day if you live in a residential area.
    Actually, most noise ordinances specify measuring db's using the "A" weighted scale, which is optimized to human hearing, and basically "smooths out" impulse noise. Noise metering is all contingent on the distance of the measuring device from the source of the noise, so in short, it's harder to exceed 60 db than you might think. Noise ordinance in real life are actually rarely prosecuted.

...Does this trump the noise ordinance...
    No source of noise "trumps" a noise ordinance, unless specifically excluded, by an overriding law, like state law, or within ordinances themselves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, let's see what they do in Warren. I have a feeling it will be interesting given that the mayor has tasked the cops to be draconian with enforcement. There will probably be a few wrongful prosecution or selective enforcement suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    I would vote for him. F the nanny states.

Diamond Dave
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF 'em INDEED!
    PGI & BPG Member

― Frank Zappa