Thread: Nelson's Fireworks in Dallas (Need help with trip planning)

Default Nelson's Fireworks in Dallas (Need help with trip planning)

Hiya folks,

I'm considering making a trip out of going to Nelson's Fireworks in Dallas around the 24th of June to pick up a relatively small order (less than $1,000) by Pyro Universe standards.

Since it's going to be a bit of a drive, around seven to eight hours for me, I was wondering if anyone else has had experience there, and could give me an idea if driving up to this location is as good a deal as it sounds. I did talk to Mr. Nelson on the phone a few times, he said that his prices were less than wholesale on occasion because he imports so much product that he can afford to undercut a bit, and that his prices certainly beat most consumer prices available to me. He also mentioned that a vast majority of his artillery shells were made in Beihai, and even generic products like the Dragon Black Box were of a higher quality than is generally available. Mr. Nelson was quite knowledgeable, and a real gentleman, taking time to answer my questions on the phone. I'd just like a second verification on some of the things he told me, not that I don't believe him, but it is a big trip, caveat emptor.

So in a nutshell, has anyone been here before, and is it as good as it seems?
    "The Government continues to deny that the bird is the word"

"No one is ever younger than the moment after having lit a fuse." - Skifdank

Default Re: Nelson's Fireworks in Dallas (Need help with trip planning)

Crispy,

I will tell you that every year I have shopped around at numerous locations for the best buys and every year I have always wound back up at Nelson's Fireworks. Previously I havenít compared their prices to wholesale prices as wholesale was not an option for me, too small of a budget, and since we canít import into Texas without a distributors license buying and shipping was out of the question.

With your budget though I'm curious if the drive of 8 hours is really worth it as any money you might save on fireworks is going to be spent on gas. If you're making this in a car pool then maybe itís advantageous but I leave that to you. If driving is not an issue you will be very happy with quality of product and selection available. Which location where you considering?

The man behind the madness Array Diamond Dave's Avatar

I have never been there but have talked to him and his brother both on the phone. He is one of the biggest importers in all of Texas. They have quite a few stores and tents (I think) in the Dallas area. They are good people, know their works and have some decent prices.

Diamond Dave

http://www.nelsonsfireworks.com/ Looks like their web site could use a little updating.
    Last edited by Diamond Dave; June 9th, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
    America
    Land of the free......Because of the brave

Member Array

I have bought from them before but I think you would get a better bang for your buck ordering wholesale.

Nelsons is a good store. He is also a good fellow to deal with as far as treating fellow pyros right. But his prices are retail, NOT wholesale. Depending on your location, you should also contact Mike with Alamo Fireworks. Alamo offers wholesale pricing and also supports and helps local Texas pyros.Bethridge, a wholesale permit, if you choose to purchase one, is only 35 and is distributed by Alamo also. You should deffinetly look into getting one if you are worried about getting shipments from out of state. Just spending 35 will save you thousands over buying retail.
    Canyon Lake Pyros - Member

Thanks for the quick replies everybody!

I guess I should have specified that I'm carpooling with three friends, and between us, we'll probably spend around eight-hundred or so in 'works, which should fill the car that we are taking up to a safe capacity. I was looking at the Caddo Mills location in particular.

Thankfully, the vehicle we will be taking is pretty gas efficient, we'll probably spend around 100 total on gas split three ways going up and coming back.

Harisdraco - Thanks for the tip, I usually make a pass at Alamo Fireworks as well, as there is a location that is quite close, just out of Corpus that I hit up every time it opens. The size of Nelson's is what got me salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs, and got the idea in my head to drive up there. Plus, I'm a sucker for good firecrackers, and I just wasn't too impressed with the rolls of clay-plugged firecrackers I got from Alamo Fireworks last year.
    "The Government continues to deny that the bird is the word"

"No one is ever younger than the moment after having lit a fuse." - Skifdank

Well in that case. 1) Little money on gas $ 33.00. 2)Time in car 16 hours. 3) View of Crispy's face when he walks in....priceless.

You may not save a bunch but their prices are decent and selection is good too. Enjoy the trip is my suggestion.

Bryan

your gas money will pay for freight on a full pallet. order $800 in wholesale from Bigs, Millers, Victory, wfboom, whoever you choose and you will get TWICE as much for the same price if not more.

You could save money(or get more works) and time by going wholesale, but because you are carpooling with friends this sounds like one of those road trip experiences that you will remember and talk about for years to come. Have a good and safe trip and enjoy going into a big fireworks store and shopping. Maybe sometime in the future go wholesale and have it shipped. Just my 2.
    Rudy

Member of H.P.A.
    Member in good standing of Double D's PPP club

Member Array

nelsons has a good line of product but like hadisco said they are full retail prices, i have ordered wholesale 4 times in texas and never had an issue i suggest taking others advice here and ordering from someone, victory has an 800 dollar minimum and a great selection and you will get your works about a week after you order it and you will never ever look back again.

Member Array

if you're awed by the size of the store, try going to an Alamo Megastore.
    there's one on 37 exit 208 cooper road.
    Canyon Lake Pyros, Member
    Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas, Member