Thread: Chain fusing with Balloon clips?

Default Chain fusing with Balloon clips?

I have tried the latest design Pyroclips and consumer shell fuse has a tendency to slip thru the clip.
    Has any one tried using 1/2" plastic balloon clips? They are very inexpensive 2 1/2 cents a piece and they definitely clamp down on the two fuses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	21370

When fusing 1000+ shells anything that would help is worth a try.
    Last edited by Ivangolf7; June 13th, 2012 at 04:45 AM.

Default Re: Chain fusing with Ballon clips?

This may be one of the greatest tips of all time. If these clips solidly hold the two fuses tightly together side by side, then it's no brainer.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that is has taken place." (George Bernard Shaw)

Member Array

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...=balloon+clips

and

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...=balloon+clips

the quick clips are amazing. super easy to teach rookies how to fuse with them too. not as cheep, but no PITA.
    quick clips by the bag: http://www.quickfuseclips.net/index.html
    quick clips by the piece: http://capitalpyro.com/store/index.p...products_id=17
    Canyon Lake Pyros, Member
    Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas, Member

Member Array

THEY DO NOT WORK WELL!!!! I tried about 50 of them from diff manufactures.. about 15-20% failure rate

SEV is the ONLY distributor of pyro clips that I have used and I know work well.

That being said they are TOTALLY NOT a time saver, they help if you can't find high quality tape which unwinds etc... They are also nice because you can see the connection at all times. Other than that TAPE is your friend...

Default Re: Chain fusing with Balloon clips?

Apparently, I completely missed the previous discussions of the balloon clips, so its all new for me. I've tried the the plastic fuse connectors but the price ruled them out. Also the plastic connectors I tried, only worked good with one specific size of Visco to visco. I'm thinking the balloon clips would allow for various sizes of visco and fast fuse in the same connection. I'm going to check some party stores today and see if I can find some balloon clips to test out.

Light up the sky! Array PYROBOOM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    Apparently, I completely missed the previous discussions of the balloon clips, so its all new for me. I've tried the the plastic fuse connectors but the price ruled them out. Also the plastic connectors I tried, only worked good with one specific size of Visco to visco. I'm thinking the balloon clips would allow for various sizes of visco and fast fuse in the same connection. I'm going to check some party stores today and see if I can find some balloon clips to test out.
    I'm with you gray. Been on this forum for years and never read the ballon thing. I ordered some today off ebay. We'll see how they work out.

I'm also glad to hear many of you like Sev's quickfuse clips. He's a great guy.
    PGI Member PYROBOOM, LLC

Member Array

I'm definitely sticking (no pun intended) with tape and 4" zip ties, at least for this year...

I have tested alligator clips in some sections of my shows including almost half of last years finale and had 100% success.
    John 3:16
    John 14:6

In God We Trust

super member Array Duncanbullet's Avatar

I think you can but a few thousand for around 10 dollars, cant remember where (think its a party supply company, post link later)
    but ive always thought about using them. the ones ive seen however were way to small and low quality.
    so maybe theres more under the tree.
    2 Things always on my mind, God and Fireworks
    DuncanPyro L.L.C.
    Certified Pyrotechnician by Pyroextreme L.L.C.
    http://Duncanpyro.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by epyro View Post
    I'm also glad to hear many of you like Sev's quickfuse clips. He's a great guy.
    I was glad I got to meet him today at GLASS...
    Last edited by FRB; May 30th, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typos
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that is has taken place." (George Bernard Shaw)

What was the cause of failure for the Balloon clips you tried? How long ago did you try them?

I ordered a bag just to try.......very difficult to close....and doesn't work well for me. Think I will stick with tape Will post a picture later when I am home.

Member Array

They were flimsy didnt hold the fuse well enough to prevent one or both from pulling out of the clip..

These are the best thing i've used with any size fuse besides tape and zip ties. i prefer the electrical clips the most and trust them most when trying to go quickly, but tape alone is probably the fastest but possibly less reliable for me (i've never used quick clips)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splice.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	21666
    And the #1 reason everyone should like fireworks....
    Who doesn't enjoy a good bang once in a while?

Why not zip tie to a fast visco fuse length? It is easy and cheap. I have done several boards and daisy chaining is the easiest part of it. It laying out and gluing the boards that is all the work.

The Jumbo Klip n Seal brand work great for mortar shell visco to timing visco. They have a nice clamp area and the two fuses are compressed together. These run about 6 cents a piece including shipping. The standard 1/2" Klip n Seal brand work great for smaller consumer visco to timing fuse. The Klip n Seal brand has a nice click when snapped together. In all the pass fire testing I have done with slow, medium or fast timing visco, I have not had any pass fire issues.
    So now I need to go and daisy chain 1008 mortar tubes and I will let you know how it turns out.