Thread: Questions regarding Flash Pots and Pods MN laws

Default Questions regarding Flash Pots and Pods MN laws

I have recently purchased 4 flash pots and I am going to obtain 2 Flash pods for my bands outdoor shows this summer. I know you must alert the Fire Dept and I know you don't need a license. I have the control boxes and have and still am talking to professionals in this field to make sure my ass is covered. We will be playing 1 indoor show but its a big building not club size or small. What am I missing? any help and feedback is great. I'm not stupid to use in clubs and I am not making my own powder. I just want to be safe as possible and make sure others are as well.
    Also where in Mn is a place to get flash powder or other types of colored powder? And I am looking to buy Co2 jets or rent them any help is greatly appreciated thank you

Default Re: Questions regarding Flash Pots and Pods MN laws

Co2 jets are $120 a week from sigma http://www.sigmaservices.com/rental.htm
    you get about 1 second per pound of co2, and it costs around a $1 a pound

I am not from you area, and don't know your laws so maby I am missing a loop hole. but a second on the net makes it seem like you have gotten some bad information
    https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=624.22
    "An application for an indoor fireworks display permit must be made in writing to the state fire marshal by the operator of the facility in which the display is to occur at least 15 days in advance of the date of any performance, show, or event which will include the discharge of fireworks inside a building or structure. The application must list the name of an operator who is certified by the state fire marshal and will supervise the display. "

" An application for a permit for an outdoor fireworks display must be made in writing to the municipal clerk at least 15 days in advance of the date of the display and must list the name of an operator who is certified by the state fire marshal and will supervise the display. The application must be promptly referred to the chief of the fire department, who shall make an investigation to determine whether the operator of the display is competent and is certified by the state fire marshal"

"Operator certification requirements. (a) An applicant to be a supervising operator of a fireworks display shall meet the requirements of this subdivision before the applicant is certified by the state fire marshal.
    (b) An applicant must be at least 21 years old.

(c) An applicant must have completed a written examination, administered or approved by the state fire marshal, and achieved a passing score of at least 70 percent. The state fire marshal must be satisfied that achieving a passing score on the examination satisfactorily demonstrates the applicant's knowledge of statutes, codes, and nationally recognized standards concerning safe practices for the discharge and display of fireworks.

(d) An applicant shall apply in writing to the state fire marshal by completing and signing an application form provided by the state fire marshal.

(e) An applicant shall submit evidence of experience, which must include active participation as an assistant or operator in the performance of at least five fireworks displays, at least one of which must have occurred in the current or preceding year."

by this YES you need to get a licance, yes you need a full permit.

Mixing flash powder requires a manufactures licence from the BATFE with out being rude...if you have to ask, you don't have the experiences to safety do it..

RI night clubfire, 3 miles from my grandmothers house, my brother lost a friend in it, it is a very errie place to walk threw, dead calm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ri.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	21371
    I go threw the pictures and story with all my new techs so they under stand just how huge the conquences can be.

Thanks so much I need as much info as possible

Thanks for the info..Definately not trying to pull a great white stunt..Sorry to hear about your brothers friend.

certified by the Minnesota State Fire Marshal. Fire departments are not exempt from this requirement.
    Exception
    Cities and counties are allowed, but not required, to exempt displays involving the use of
    smoke pots, flash pots and theatrical flash powder for ceremonial, theatrical and musical
    productions from the requirement for a permit.
    Last edited by tcape; May 25th, 2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: merged 3 sequential posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aerial Artistry View Post
    maby I am missing a loop hole.
    and there it is

I do appreciate the feedback everyone who is even thinking about this stuff needs to research and talk to people like you guys this site is awesome