Thread: Home made catherine wheel fireworks

Default Home made catherine wheel fireworks

I thought I'd share this with my friends in the USA. One of our customers in the UK decided to make his own catherine wheel, have any of you guys done this before?
    http://epicfireworks.com/blog/2012/0...in-experiment/

Default Re: Home made catherine wheel fireworks

Thanks for sharing. Yes, I know several members who have made their own Catherine Wheels using fountains, gerbs, ground blooms, etc. I've made a few myself, relatively easy project which yields a nice effect. When I build them, I use either large ground blooms, or even small rocket motors to get it spinning and then let the fountains continue the spin.
    Maryland Certified Outdoor Display Operator
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member
    Minions of M.A.F.F. Pro Am Competition Display

I'm not sure the device shown in the video should be classified as a Catherine Wheel. My understanding is that a Catherine wheel rotates on a multiple axis, which creates a spectacular 3 dimensional effect. We also see where one of the fountains blows out and flies off of the wheel immediately after ignition. Cone fountains can blow out like that if they're fired upside down or sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by RKO View Post
    I'm not sure the device shown in the video should be classified as a Catherine Wheel. My understanding is that a Catherine wheel rotates on a multiple axis, which creates a spectacular 3 dimensional effect. We also see where one of the fountains blows out and flies off of the wheel immediately after ignition. Cone fountains can blow out like that if they're fired upside down or sideways.
    Good point. I've heard many types of wheels be called "Catherine Wheels" and honestly, would have to rely on someone with a lot more knowledge than myself to say for sure.

I also saw that pop of the one fountain. This is why I actually fire whatever drivers I'm using just ahead of the fountains igniting, seems to help with this...'course it could just be a coincidence I haven't had any blow up
    Maryland Certified Outdoor Display Operator
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member
    Minions of M.A.F.F. Pro Am Competition Display

Those are some very nice cones.

any good sugestions on cones to use,,,,
    "Watch The Flower, Smell the Powder, Feel the Power!"

PGI MEMBER