Thread: Texas Laws

Default Texas Laws

Hey guys,

I'm sure this message has been answered before but after searching I really cant find the best options to answer the questions. Since many of the wholesalers out there are out of state I am curious on what options a consumer has in order to get these into texas. Aside from driving there and bringing them back it seems many ship them in. I can't imagine that many people are applying for a distributor's license. Is there a group buy or alternative that could be sought out. I just would rather not see a large sum of money spent on a wholesale buy go out the window due to a violation. Any guidance you can provide would be great.

Bryan

Default Re: Texas Laws

Quote Originally Posted by betheridge View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm sure this message has been answered before but after searching I really cant find the best options to answer the questions. Since many of the wholesalers out there are out of state I am curious on what options a consumer has in order to get these into texas. Aside from driving there and bringing them back it seems many ship them in. I can't imagine that many people are applying for a distributor's license. Is there a group buy or alternative that could be sought out. I just would rather not see a large sum of money spent on a wholesale buy go out the window due to a violation. Any guidance you can provide would be great.

Bryan
    Either wait until the retail fireworks season or apply for a wholesale permit.

http://www.alamofireworks.com/about/domestic_wholesale/

If you want to buy at wholesale prices, we have a $1500 order minimum. If you want to buy out of season by the piece, we can sell those at retail prices. We resell the state permits. They are $30.
    Michael Girdley / Nevada Store Coupon Deals: http://www.alamofireworks.com/news/n...-nevada-store/

Member Array

Unfortunately, by definition:

(3) "Distributor" means a person who:
    (A) imports fireworks into this state; or
    (B) sells fireworks to:
    (i) a jobber, retailer, or other distributor for resale; or
    (ii) a holder of a single public display permit, a multiple public display permit, or another fireworks
    permit.
    Illumination Fireworks, LLC
    www.IlluminationFireworks.com
    Full Service Fireworks & Special Effects Company

Member Array

buy in state if you don't want to risk anything.
    Options:
    --Alamo (links and major details already posted by El Presidente o' Alamo, MGirdley) Solid products. Reaper, Fight club, Boomzilla, Big Poppa, Jet Propulsion, Freak Nasty, Real Deal, Dirty South, Viper, Kaos, Plumbers Crack-le, Diamonds in the Dark, Razr mines, the Impact cakes, Voodoo balls, Make it Rain (smoke and mirrors), Code Red, BFG candle, Tomahawk Rockets, and many others are on my list of favs.

--Jakes (in Athens, Texas) World Class product. They do have certain requirements be met before they sell to you from what I've been told. Gorilla Warfare, Fighting Rooster, Sexy Rider, Smokin Hot, Excals, super magnums w/o tails, are nice ones.

--talk to David Rosenbaum @ Illumination (NorthTexasPyro, IlluminationFireworks.com) I know they were once considering doing insured shipped 1.4 shows. you pick the product, set it up, etc, they ship, insure, and sell to you. They'll even rent equipment from my understanding. Cobra Firing systems, mortars, etc... David?

there are other wholesalers out in Texas, most are escaping my mind right now, but if you do some digging around in a yellow pages, google, etc, you'll come across a few more.
    also, if you hit up a small fireworks stand, make some casual conversation and story telling while you're buying and if you buy a large quantity, they'll be likely to cut some sort of deal, sometimes.
    Canyon Lake Pyros, Member
    Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas, Member

Member Array

We were playing around with the idea of doing 1.4G ship shows and renting out firing equipment earlier this year but nobody seemed interested. There were a few other things contributing that didn't make it worth it, as well.

I'd also recommend checking out Alamo for wholesale. Low minimum purchase and great service.

So if I wanted to get a retail permit to sell at a stand in Texas, I would have to buy from a Texas wholesaler,like Alamo or Jakes? And if I wanted to place a wholesale order say from victory or hales and have it shipped in , I would have to buy a $1750 importers license and be considered a distributer?I thought importing meant more like bringing in a container from China, not just shipping in from a wholesaler out of state. I have a hard time believing all of these roadside stands have a distributors license and I know I have seen them carry product that came from victory or millers because of the product lableling.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
    So if I wanted to get a retail permit to sell at a stand in Texas, I would have to buy from a Texas wholesaler,like Alamo or Jakes? And if I wanted to place a wholesale order say from victory or hales and have it shipped in , I would have to buy a $1750 importers license and be considered a distributer?I thought importing meant more like bringing in a container from China, not just shipping in from a wholesaler out of state. I have a hard time believing all of these roadside stands have a distributors license and I know I have seen them carry product that came from victory or millers because of the product lableling.
    We have bought wholesale from Mike and Alamo for 7 years running. They have very nice products, but we also buy from Texas Outlaw and American Fireworks. We threw around the idea about buying from Spirit of 76. but have kept our business in state. One thing we love about Alamo is that we can always add on to our order if we see something else we like.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by KellyR View Post
    Just relaying what the law says...an importer is someone who imports fireworks into this state. Not, imports fireworks from outside the country. I asked for interpretation from the Fire Marshal a few years ago and this is what I was told. I can't speak for the roadside stands you mentioned.