Thread: Scripted Firing System

Member Array

Default Scripted Firing System

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at building a computer fired pyromusical system. I really like the look of Joe's 32 cue slats and I believe there is Arduino code to run them with Pyro Ignition Control. I see quite a few people talking about "Joe Ratman's Special" but it seems that he has hundreds of them. Is there a particular design? Would Joe Ratman Specials, combined with Pyro Ignition Control support 100+ cues? I realise this will be moderately expensive but it will still be far cheaper than FireOne or similar.

The other possibility is a program like IonFire.Music coupled with Merlin SE boards. What are your opinions on this?

Thanks heaps
    Sam
    Last edited by SamIAm; May 10th, 2012 at 06:11 AM.

Default Re: Scripted Firing System

yes it is possible, the trick on the hardware side would be interfacing the aurduino to high powered signals, if you can get that working the basic aurdunio code and pyroignition control software could the be used to control slats and cues, the easiest would be using the pyrotronic plugin that comes with the base software, I would use the Ardunio mega, that gives you 54 digital I/O pins to work with, minus 0,1,13 you are left with 52 pins you could have 36 slats (ground switched) of 16 cues each giving you 576 uniqe cues, or 32 slats of 20 cues each giving you 640 cues, or 20 slats of 32 cues giving you 640 as well, or any combo you wish. the system (software)can code for 99 slats of 99 cues each.

Member Array

Sam are you planning on trying to make this for the upcoming 4th????

Member Array

I'm in Australia so the 4th is just another day here. It's for what you guys would call a 'county fair' or something similar. For a town of around 120,000 people in March next year. We usually hand fire the show with an e-fired finale but we'd like to do something different.

Hi Sam,

I think you may want to PM runsv00 about a project that is underway.. kind of a cheaper Merlock that does it all, but just looks a little different, and you'd be the guy doing the assembly.. as it would be sold as a kit. Also, I don't carry the MMSE anymore, but we carry the new MKII board which is an improved solid state unit with improved functions and an LCD port.

If you just want to script simple stuff and have FinalePro, I'd recommend FinaleFirer, which is a barebone software. If you don't have FinalePro, you can upload the times into a blank .CSV file and upload that way also. (FF is much cheaper than Ion.Music)

Quote Originally Posted by runvs00 View Post
    Sam are you planning on trying to make this for the upcoming 4th????
    Owner PYRODLITE LLC
    PGI Member

Member Array

I like at Pyro Ignition Control software because it is free and supports audio. Ideally I'd like to run the system from ~200m (650ft) wirelessly but am happy to run a wired usb connection directly from the pc. I think 5 slats of 32 cues would be more than enough for the moment.

Sam, did edit your entire post? you went from talking wired Ardunio, to wireless? Well if you are interested in wireless take a look at Dewey's systems (remotefiringsystems.com) they are well built, are FCC certified, and there are some things in the works as we speak for his S-12 remote, in the way of computer controlled through the pyro ignition software. stay tuned.

Member Array

OK, So I'm looking towards a main control box with an arduino mega in it, then a number of firing stations with 32 cues each. There'll probably be some sort of serial cable running from the main box to the firing boxes and the cues will be fired with relays and 11.1V Lipo batteries in each box. My understanding is I could use 32 I/O pins for cues and further pins to switch between boxes. Is there any way I could fire from more than 1 station at once?