Thread: Noobie wireless questions

Default Noobie wireless questions

Hi. I've built my own wired system and have read many posts about wireless control being the way to go. I have a few questions about wireless.

Do the professional pyro displays use wireless?

Are wireless systems operating in one way mode or is duplex available?

Other than not hearing or seeing a satisfying BOOM, how would you know if continuity was lost on a cue using a wireless system if it operates one way only?

Do any wireless system controls utilize GSM cellular? I am thinking Android app that allows you to control your show from a smartphone.

Is there a FAQ on PyroU for wireless systems? I realize I can check out the mfg's web sites but just being lazy at the moment and there are so many.

Bob O

Default Re: Noobie wireless questions

I think that wired system are trusted by professionals more then wireless and wireless is employed when longer distance is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    Hi. I've built my own wired system and have read many posts about wireless control being the way to go. I have a few questions about wireless.
    Do the professional pyro displays use wireless?
    - I think they can go wireless, hard wired via two or multi conductors. Some have a wireless transmitter and
    receiver that then sends out the signals via a two wire cable with dc voltage and modulated signal on the line.

Are wireless systems operating in one way mode or is duplex available?
    - There are wireless units with half and full duplex. some have no recognition of the output cues or the
    status where others have feedback that is sent back to the transmitter in real time. This can be a good thing
    and bad as it can make the system that more complicated.

Other than not hearing or seeing a satisfying BOOM, how would you know if continuity was lost on a cue using a wireless system if it operates one way only?
    - You would have no way to tell that the cue did not fire other then the No Boom scenario on a non duplexed system.
    Unless you are able to see the remote box LED lights for each channel to give you a visual indication.

Do any wireless system controls utilize GSM cellular? I am thinking Android app that allows you to control your show from a smartphone.
    -I have not seen a GSM cellular system but there are some relay control units in the market. http://www.waferstar.com/en/GSM-RELAY.html

Is there a FAQ on PyroU for wireless systems? I realize I can check out the mfg's web sites but just being lazy at the moment and there are so many.
    -Lots of wireless reading material here on do it yourself setups: http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...atman+wireless
    The system you choose will also be based on pricing, price range can run from mild to wild depending on the
    complexity of the system.
    Some offer basic hand remote wireless firing will other offer timed musical firing at a much higher cost.
    Last edited by not2melo; May 7th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

If you have a wireless system that only transmits in one direction, the system can be so designed that you get your feed back from the LEDs on the module that is out in the field. In a way this is a two way transmission. You push a button on the transmitter, the transmission is received by the remote in the field. The remote has a status change and the lights on it change. This is transmitted back to the shooter in the "visual frequency" that is detected by your eyes, which then feeds the information to your brain.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRatman View Post
    This is transmitted back to the shooter in the "visual frequency" that is detected by your eyes, which then feeds the information to your brain.
    Don't know about others on here but these old eyes of mine sure couldn't see lit LED's from 100 feet away. However, you did give another idea for "visual frequency" or feedback in the form of a wireless security camera aimed at the module or slats.

As not2melo pointed out, the wireless systems then becomes a bit more complicated.

Wanted to thank you again for your inspiration which pushed me to build the wired system. I've also been reading your wireless thread which prompted me to ask these questions. Been toying with ideas for wireless fire control but think I'd rather be out lighting something instead of sniffing more rosin and lead fumes.
    Bob O

There are countless threads on here about a number of wireless systems, commercial and custom made, that can do many of the things you ask. Just read back through the posts. Also, try googling "wireless fireworks firing systems" and you will find many hits, including a lot of them here.

But as an example, the Cobra system has bidirectional communication, so it can check continuity via the remote, but be aware that in a real commercial show, there are always things that can go wrong, like a wire coming loose, an e-match not firing when powered (rare, but it happens), a fuse failing or breaking,
    failing debris lighting items early, forgetting to arm a module, batteries dying, and numerous other issues, which require having backup plans, redundant equipment, and a flare handy. Also, planning your show to have multiple items is a help then, as if one cake fails among three, no big deal, but if you are only shooting one cake and it fails, it is much more noticeable.
    NC Licensed Lead Pyrotechnics Operator - CDL w/ Hazmat
    --------
    Burning the fuse at both ends...

Member Array

http://www.cobrafiringsystems.com/

Wireless, two way, continuity on the the remote and 18M mod and with the 18R2 remote real time while firing.

In my opinion, if not the best system, give it time. It will be.

"forgetting to arm a module, batteries dying"............ These are covered with the 18R2.
    Last edited by Northern Sky; May 9th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
    BATF Type 54
    NEOPG, NLPC, PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant
    Have Fun. Be Safe. SALUTE

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Sky View Post
    Sweet!

Just watched the videos at the site. Looks like it does everything a wireless noob would want and at decent cost.

But you guys are right, I need to check around other sites and compare. I do like what I see in the Cobra system though.

Thanks for the heads up.

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

Don't know about others on here but these old eyes of mine sure couldn't see lit LED's from 100 feet away. However, you did give another idea for "visual frequency" or feedback in the form of a wireless security camera aimed at the module or slats.
    Well I have been wearing glasses since I was 2-3 years old and I am well past middle age. Senior Citizenship is in sight. The trick is to use some bright LEDs with a wide viewing angle. I had one that was supposively used in LED billboards. I had to tone it down with a 2K resistor so there was less than 6 millamps flowing thru it to lessen the brightness.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRatman View Post
    I had to tone it down with a 2K resistor so there was less than 6 millamps flowing thru it to lessen the brightness.
    Know what you mean. The tri-color LED's I used were too bright for close up work. Had to try and tone them down with 15k resistors and still they are bright @ 2ma draw.