Thread: New, "hot burning" artillery fuse?

Default New, "hot burning" artillery fuse?

Has anyone used this newer type of fuse yet? Just wondering if it passes fire better or what?

Default Re: New, "hot burning" artillery fuse?

Quote Originally Posted by lil_jason17 View Post
    Has anyone used this newer type of fuse yet? Just wondering if it passes fire better or what?
    I am unsure what you are referring to, can you post a link?

Member Array

I have used the Big's quick fuse which burns at .4 sec/ft and had no passfire issues. This stuff should pass fire just fine.

Member Array NW Fireworks Lover's Avatar

I've used the yellow. It is just like artillery shell fuse, burns pretty hot. I like the hot pink fast stuff a little better, imo it burns a little hotter and I like the 1spf rating vs the 4spf for the artillery stuff.
    "I am so smart, s-m-r-t, I am so smart" -Homer Simpson

Member Northwest Pyrotechnics Association

I have some ....it's comparable with the fast pink fuse.
    Member NLPC/PGI/MAPAG

MAFF 2011 One Fuse
    MAFF 2012 "Music of the Night"
    PGI 2013 Class C Unlimited

I have some of that. To be honest, most of these sites call everything Hot Burning. The truth is, it all burns "Hot". To my knowledge, there is no specific measure of temperature that they test with. I guess what I am saying is that I have never had a problem with fuse not being hot enough as long as it is connected right. To quote what many sales people will tell you, they are "selling the sizzle" and not the physical qualities of the fuse itself.

Member Array NW Fireworks Lover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peeplwtchr View Post
    I have some of that. To be honest, most of these sites call everything Hot Burning. The truth is, it all burns "Hot". To my knowledge, there is no specific measure of temperature that they test with. I guess what I am saying is that I have never had a problem with fuse not being hot enough as long as it is connected right. To quote what many sales people will tell you, they are "selling the sizzle" and not the physical qualities of the fuse itself.
    Yeah really. I look for the quality of "side spit" of a fuse. the more sparks thrown out the better in my book.
    "I am so smart, s-m-r-t, I am so smart" -Homer Simpson

Member Northwest Pyrotechnics Association

Quote Originally Posted by crackerman70 View Post
    I have used the Big's quick fuse which burns at .4 sec/ft and had no passfire issues. This stuff should pass fire just fine.
    x2..Dang good fuse..Absolutely zero probs! I just ordered 300 ft..hehe

A significant problem with a lot of these 'Fast Artillery Fuses', is that the the open braid in the construction of the fuse can be penetrated by a small amount of moisture. Heavy dew on a summer evening can soak into the fuses while they're sitting there waiting to be fired. That type of moisture can slow the fuse down to a crawl, even slower than regular Visco. Some brands of fuses are more prone to this than others. Tenting your fused boards and racks with plastic can create the same problem with moisture. The plastic holds in the moisture coming up from the grass, steams your fuses, and the fuse slows down. You can top the fuse runs with tape, to prevent falling dew from penetrating the fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    A significant problem with a lot of these 'Fast Artillery Fuses', is that the the open braid in the construction of the fuse can be penetrated by a small amount of moisture. Heavy dew on a summer evening can soak into the fuses while they're sitting there waiting to be fired. That type of moisture can slow the fuse down to a crawl, even slower than regular Visco. Some brands of fuses are more prone to this than others. Tenting your fused boards and racks with plastic can create the same problem with moisture. The plastic holds in the moisture coming up from the grass, steams your fuses, and the fuse slows down. You can top the fuse runs with tape, to prevent falling dew from penetrating the fuse.
    Very good information there. Reps to you!

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

A significant problem with a lot of these 'Fast Artillery Fuses', is that the the open braid in the construction of the fuse can be penetrated by a small amount of moisture ... You can top the fuse runs with tape, to prevent falling dew from penetrating the fuse.
    Many of non-coated fuses can have this issue. As mentioned the moisture can slow or stop the burning of the fuse. I usually cover stretches of exposed fuse with duct tape. You just fold a narrow piece of duct tape fuse. The process is rather quick. It also has the added advantage protecting the fuse from premature ignition from sparks from other pyrotechnic devices, especially fountains and gerbs.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    Exactly, this is why I 100% cover all fuse with silver/aluminum tape! I like the foil tape because its easier to tear.
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    God bless the USA

The new fuse that you talking about is really just the same as pink fuse, they just made it ORANGE Color so you can see it better at night. pluse if you have different types of fuses of different speeds you whould know witch one you have! and useing. you have green, Pink Visco Fuse ,FAST YELLOW,FAST Orange, and like said befor use foil tape or aluminum foil to cover your fuse. i have used aluminum foil works great. most companies are coming out with different color HDPE DR11 tubes and 1.3 tubes also.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Rikerz View Post
    Exactly, this is why I 100% cover all fuse with silver/aluminum tape! I like the foil tape because its easier to tear.
    Any change in burn speed doing this? Do you end up with a faster fuse as the foil channels the burn - sort of a quickmatch effect?

Quote Originally Posted by MishaZub View Post
    Any change in burn speed doing this? Do you end up with a faster fuse as the foil channels the burn - sort of a quickmatch effect?
    I haven't been able to make that work, I have tried many many times. I even tried that paper leader pipe you can but, it did not speed it up either-just examples of the unlikeliness of speed increase.

Quote Originally Posted by peeplwtchr View Post
    I haven't been able to make that work, I have tried many many times. I even tried that paper leader pipe you can but, it did not speed it up either-just examples of the unlikeliness of speed increase.
    You can only get that effect with the paper style fuse (which is black match based vs powder core). I have used the paper leader pipes fitted with the paper fast fuse and then coated in alum. tape(loosely) and you will get a notable speed increase. For any finale chain with shells I wouldn't use anything other than the 3mm pink/orange/yellow fast fuse, seems to give the best pace and for sure always cover in alum. tape, been doing that for years and never had anything not fire.