Thread: Question about Legalities of shooting class C show for Hire in Mississippi.

Default Question about Legalities of shooting class C show for Hire in Mississippi.

I recently did a small Wedding show at the Bay Waveland Yacht Club in Bay St. Louis.
    After the show I was approached by the President of the Yacht club and he asked if I would be interested in doing a show for the 4th of July. I have never been asked to do a show for an event such as this. It will be a private party for yacht club members.

My question is:

Are there any laws or limitations that have to be followed?
    Do I need to have some kind of insurance?

I was thinking of writing up a contract stating that I am not a professional, liscensed, or insured operator. It will state that I am just a hobbiest.

I am hoping Heavy D can chime in on this since he lives in this part of Mississippi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mods: If posted in wrong section please move.

Default Re: Question about Legalities of shooting class C show for Hire in Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by pyro-dave View Post
    I recently did a small Wedding show at the Bay Waveland Yacht Club in Bay St. Louis.
    After the show I was approached by the President of the Yacht club and he asked if I would be interested in doing a show for the 4th of July. I have never been asked to do a show for an event such as this. It will be a private party for yacht club members.

My question is:

Are there any laws or limitations that have to be followed?
    Do I need to have some kind of insurance?

I was thinking of writing up a contract stating that I am not a professional, liscensed, or insured operator. It will state that I am just a hobbiest.

I am hoping Heavy D can chime in on this since he lives in this part of Mississippi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mods: If posted in wrong section please move.
    Question 1: Yes there are laws in every state that you would have to follow.
    Question 2: Yes, to be legal for a public display, even though it is private, you would need insurance.
    Statement 3: I am quite sure that such a contract would give you no protection. Whether you are a hobbiest or not, you would still be liable if burned up someones Yacht.
    Statement 4: Someone more familiar with Mississippi laws would be more likely to be precise on your particular state's legal stances.

Closing comment: If you are receiving any type of compensation or financing for this show from anyone, you are now in commerce and the DOT will be involved now. And DOT is far more complicated than the ATF is concerned, by far.

Default Re: Question about Legalities of shooting class C show for Hire in Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star Pyro View Post

Closing comment: If you are receiving any type of compensation or financing for this show from anyone, you are now in commerce and the DOT will be involved now. And DOT is far more complicated than the ATF is concerned, by far.
    Which means get compensation in non-sequential small bills. Provide no receipt to the president of the yacht club. Use a fake name, if possible.

Ditto what Shooting Star said. I looked into this for Missouri awhile back and found that insurance is required for a public audience or an audience exceeding some threshold number (50?). Also, your contract would be of no help. Not only will it not be written in a legal format (unless you happen to be a contract lawyer) but if it violates any laws, then it is automatically void. This makes it a pretty weak defense in court, should something go wrong.
    BATFE Type 54 Licensee

Member Array

Whether you consider yourself a professional or not, he is interested in hiring you. ENJOY IT! We're talking consumer fireworks, distance should keep you out of trouble. I hope this is all you need to know, being that I don't know the details of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by nhboom View Post
    Whether you consider yourself a professional or not, he is interested in hiring you. ENJOY IT! We're talking consumer fireworks, distance should keep you out of trouble. I hope this is all you need to know, being that I don't know the details of the situation.
    Absoultely incorrect advice.

SSP is correct, it does not matter if you are using consumer or display product. If you are being compensated in any way, you are in commerce and need to follow every law regarding permits, insurance, transportation, and storage.
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."