Thread: Why Does My Sticky Match Keep Blowing Up?

Default Why Does My Sticky Match Keep Blowing Up?

Hi all-

I am experimenting with Sticky, and it keeps blowing up. I am using clear 2 inch wide tape. I am not folding it over, it's just strip on top of strip. I am using break Charge from shells instead of B.P., could this be the issue?

Thanks

Default Re: Why Does My Sticky Match Keep Blowing Up?

Quote Originally Posted by peeplwtchr View Post
    Hi all-

I am experimenting with Sticky, and it keeps blowing up. I am using clear 2 inch wide tape. I am not folding it over, it's just strip on top of strip. I am using break Charge from shells instead of B.P., could this be the issue?

Thanks
    That'll do it. Get yourself some BP from the local gunshop, and you should be ok.
    PGI Member
    HPA Member

Member Array

break charge from shells could be a KP mix. couple that with a very small grain size, and you've got a very energetic mix that's going to burn real fast.
    NHPA www.nhpyro.org

To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true. -aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by r1dermon View Post
    break charge from shells could be a KP mix. couple that with a very small grain size, and you've got a very energetic mix that's going to burn real fast.
    What's KP mix?

What's KP mix?

I didn't know either until I looked it up.
    Last edited by missinglink; April 29th, 2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: TMI

Quote Originally Posted by missinglink View Post
    I didn't know either until I looked it up.
    Thanks for answering my question. I searched here and googled it before I asked.

Member Array

its a stronger oxidiser than KNO3, which is used in black powder. it burns a lot faster, and as a result, is a great choice for breaking small diameter shells.
    NHPA www.nhpyro.org

To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true. -aristotle

its a stronger oxidiser than KNO3, which is used in black powder. it burns a lot faster, and as a result, is a great choice for breaking small diameter shells.
    Now that's an answer, thanks. I am actually waiting on 1.5" shell casings, I will be sure to use B.C. instead of B.P. for the breaks. It seems that I have a lot of Happiness Fountain B.P. on my hands, which I was going to use to get rid of it, not any more.

If you are going to do that go buy a can of "black powder". You can purchase it around here at most gun stores. A can would cost you 15 to 20 bucks maybe. Or just go buy it. I do not believe stiky is federally regulated. At least the kind comparable you what you are attempting to make.
    9th annual Saint Louis Shoot - Sept 11 - 14
    Midwest Fireworks Festival - Mentone, IN. Sept. 12-15
    www.WikiFireworks.com

PGI Member | HPA Member
    BATFE 54 | CDL B w/Hazmat

Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array

Quote Originally Posted by QMAN View Post
    If you are going to do that go buy a can of "black powder". You can purchase it around here at most gun stores. A can would cost you 15 to 20 bucks maybe. Or just go buy it. I do not believe stiky is federally regulated. At least the kind comparable you what you are attempting to make.
    I agree with this...

While purchasing GOEX is obviously more expensive than making it yourself, it is still an outstanding product... and I don't think you will need 50lbs of it.

Quote Originally Posted by QMAN View Post
    I do have some B.P., I m just trying to make use the B.C. I have left over from harvesting stars for use in mines. I did see that Firefox sells sticky, but it is more expensive than making it (at least I assume it is). They are charging about 25 cents per foot plus shipping. Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by SLAP View Post
    I agree with this...

While purchasing GOEX is obviously more expensive than making it yourself, it is still an outstanding product... and I don't think you will need 50lbs of it.
    I do have a can of this, I will use it instead. Thanks!

Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array

I do have some B.P., I m just trying to make use the B.C. I have left over from harvesting stars for use in mines. I did see that Firefox sells sticky, but it is more expensive than making it (at least I assume it is). They are charging about 25 cents per foot plus shipping. Thanks for the response!

I don't think you want to "manufacture" firework devices by dismantling other items. You really don't know what's inside, and the hobby is more rewarding "building" those items yourself.

Also... I'm sure this thread has already gone into "No Mans Land", but be careful with what you are doing. You start dumping "powders" into a tube, with some stars you "harvested"... and you may find that you will now have tubes "blowing up" rather than just pieces of tape doing it. :/

Quote Originally Posted by SLAP View Post
    I don't think you want to "manufacture" firework devices by dismantling other items. You really don't know what's inside, and the hobby is more rewarding "building" those items yourself.

Also... I'm sure this thread has already gone into "No Mans Land", but be careful with what you are doing. You start dumping "powders" into a tube, with some stars you "harvested"... and you may find that you will now have tubes "blowing up" rather than just pieces of tape doing it. :/

+1 for you.... Definitely want to get the proper training to do this stuff safely.

Member Array

when you say BC, what are you referring to?
    NHPA www.nhpyro.org

when you say BC, what are you referring to?
    Rhymes with thirst charge. Lol. Lock
    9th annual Saint Louis Shoot - Sept 11 - 14
    Midwest Fireworks Festival - Mentone, IN. Sept. 12-15
    www.WikiFireworks.com

PGI Member | HPA Member
    BATFE 54 | CDL B w/Hazmat

Understood. I have heard enough here to be cautious. I gram of break charge in a 1/4 walled tube should be safe. Plus (thanks to P.U., I have Lolly poke, anvil cutters, safety glasses, the whole nine) I only play with little things to test theory, and of course I am shooting them out-of-state next month.

Member Array

just for safety's sake...dont think burst charge will act the same as BP. it is can be more sensitive depending on whats in it. dont go ramming it or anything. lol.
    NHPA www.nhpyro.org

just for safety's sake...dont think burst charge will act the same as BP. it is can be more sensitive depending on whats in it. dont go ramming it or anything. lol.
    Thanks for the concern. I actually do know that, I think it was in a J. Ratman post.

Let's keep the talk to making fuse only, anything beyond that is going against forum rules.

Moved to fuse forum.
    Maryland Certified Outdoor Display Operator
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member
    Minions of M.A.F.F. Pro Am Competition Display

Sorry! I am still a bit unclear on the manufacturing rules, I will find them.

Sorry! I am still a bit unclear on the manufacturing rules, I will find them.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forumrules.htm

No posts on making/dissecting fireworks, synthesizing/mixing chemicals. Do not post instructions on how to construct, modify, or disassemble fireworks (legal or illegal), rocket motors, salutes, bombs, etc. Especially M-80s or other flash-powder devices. This includes discussion on procuring, preparing, and mixing pyrotechnic chemicals such as black powder, whistle mix, star composition, etc.
    Maryland Certified Outdoor Display Operator
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member
    Minions of M.A.F.F. Pro Am Competition Display

there are other sites like passfire that get into the details of the creation of Fireworks. . not such a good idea to discuss here
    My old catalogs can be found here
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...y.php/cat/1220
    and old and new flyers and ads here
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...y.php/cat/1268

Hi all-

Thanks
    No offense bro but I think you should seriously reconsider dismantling any firework to harvest anything if you needed to ask ^^^^ that question. You could get hurt and or cause a fire. I'd suggest you go to skylighter's website and look up rubber stars the next time you need some stars.

As for the sticky match I always use 2 fg black powder from my local gun store.....with good results.
    Member NLPC/PGI/MAPAG

MAFF 2011 One Fuse
    MAFF 2012 "Music of the Night"
    PGI 2013 Class C Unlimited