Thread: Testing - New Neighbors

Member Array

Default Testing - New Neighbors

About a half-hour ago I (finally) tried out the electrical system I bought from scooter along with some talon igniters. 2 small 200g cakes, 3 rings shells, a KOD, and a Gettysburg. The system worked sweet. Thanks again Scooter!

About the second shot into the first 200g cake the new neighbor kids behind me start screaming at us from behind a screen of trees. My kids tell me they were yelling to get me to stop. I told them they were crazy and lit the shells. There was more yelling, a pause when the first three shells ended, then someone yelled something about it not being the 4th of July yet just before the KOD went off. Then no more yelling. Somehow the Gettysburg went off about 3 seconds after that.

The 200g cakes were from Freedom First and were quite nice. I'd recommend them. The ring shells were pretty quiet as shells go, but as has been noted in other threads were nicely shaped. The Gettysburg wasn't too obnoxious either noise-wise.

It's Saturday evening and not even 8:30. I can't tell if they were serious with the yelling or not, but I have lots more testing I need to do to get the hang of this igniter system and figure out what the real limitations are. I thought I was being considerate. I hope things don't get too tense, but we're in the county and I can shoot every day of the year if I like. I don't. I also don't go late into the night. Still, if there's going to be a problem I'll have to work through it. Thankfully my stockpile is up to it (thank you Stoney for introducing me to Mr. KOD!).

Default Re: Testing - New Neighbors

They say it's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. But, maybe talk with them first and ask if they will have a problem with you running some "tests"

When in doubt, walk over and invite them to watch. Betcha the kids love it even if the parents don't.

Have you tried talking to the owners since.

If they are you can tell them its been a ritual to shoot on and off.

Invite them over when youre testing.
    Last edited by maxbear; April 28th, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
    PyroDogs Member
    Canyon Lake Pyros

KODs are nice. Hell if hes new why not introduce yourself and see if he is serious. Remember you still have to live by him.

Member Array

SO - It is now ~1 hour since I shot off 5 minutes worth of fireworks and I just got to introduce myself to the sheriff. It appears my neighbor called in a complaint. The sheriff confirmed I am doing nothing illegal. Etcetera... I didn't even know I had a new neighbor. Its too bad he didn't have the cajones to come talk to me in person. Instead when the sheriff told him the situation he created an unlikely scenario that the sheriff still can't act on because I was acting legally.

I suppose I'll have to talk with my neighbor before next Friday, but he's already established a pretty dramatic position, so I'm not real optimistic. Hopefully he will accept the invitation. Otherwise he is in for an unhappy Spring. And the 4th is a war zone around here, even without my contribution.

Ha, get yourself some of the tannerite cake, it is a articles of pyrotechnics, fire a case worth, he will like that.....@sshole. Sometimes you can't win, so you add fuel to the fire until you feel you have won, if you know what i mean.

If he accepts your invite just tell him how much you like your worx. If he declines show him how much you like your worx

If it was me, the gloves are off now. I'd be shooting every night for the next week before I talk to him to tell him that's what he can expect the next time he decides to be an ass as well.
    PGI Member
    HPA Member

WOW!!! This is so close to the situation I had at first with my neighbor when he was new. Except I was only lighting bottle rockets on July the 5th at about 4pm in my driveway. Same sh*t though, he leaned over the fence and was rude about it, so things have done nothing but get better or worse, depending on who's side of the fence you are on LOL. Hell last year he put in a complaint to my landlord and the sheriff's office. My landlord laughed about it. The sheriff came a visitin' and I happened to light a nice little 25-shot salute cake when the deputy was on my neighbor's porch LOL. Of course the sheriff told him I was doing nothing illegal so that was that. So over the next few weeks my neighbor walked door to door in my small town with a petition trying to get the town to pass a no-fireworks ordinance. He got 7 signatures I think...LOL...I haven't heard a complaint or peep since then from him. I am not rude, nor am I unsafe when it comes to this stuff here in town and most of the folks know, appreciate, and enjoy it all when I am lighting up. But if your going to be an arse about it with me, then I will likely retaliate as best I can within' the law
    "Men don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

My biggest run in was when the dude called in for a single shell.

One shell

It was in the middle of June, around 9:50.

He cussed us out from the safety of his compound, made a few threats. Then when the police rolled in, 45 minutes later, he decided to muster up the courage to come talk some more stuff to us and the 5-10 year old kids that were around. Total punk ass.

I guess you just can't expect to be able to reason with some people. Good luck with your situation though.
    "The only rational process those guys are interested in is their re-election strategy."

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Herm Edwards

Member Array

Hopefully talking to your new neighbor can resolve the issue going forward. Sometimes it is a valid reason like a new baby or the person has a strange work schedule. I've never called the police or had a desire to call them on anyone but I did talk with a neighbor about mowing his yard at 10:00 PM at night on the third time he did it several years ago since it was waking up our 3 month old.

I've also dealt with the police when a "noise" complaint was called in when at a friend's house for a birthday party with 10 adults at 10:30 at night. It's sad folks resort to calling in complaints instead of trying to work it out.