Thread: Making a List....Checking it Twice

Member Array

Default Making a List....Checking it Twice

I am going to be making my final purchase in a few weeks and I am going to a business that carries a lot of World Class product. The show will take place in a large clearing in a residential neighborhood so it will have to be fired from a single station due to space limitations. There will be approximately 100 people attending the block party and come show time that section of the subdivision will become packed with about 400 people (based upon what happened last year). I am trying to put together a selection of 200g and 500g cakes that will show off a wide variety of effects. I have a large number of shells, cannisters, and #500 (LOL) tubes that are going to provide a sufficient number of large single bursts to where I don't really need any NOAB type cakes or cakes that have you standard 9 single shots with a final volley of 3. Most of the cakes will be put on boards and quick fused. I am listing the cakes I am considering and the number of cakes that will be on the board. If you think I need more/less for that board or you see items that are better displayed with something else please feel free to offer your suggestions.

200g

Anger Management (4)
    Bada Bing (4)
    Bam Bam (3)
    Beware (2)
    Boiling Point (2)
    Bugging Out (3)
    Crazy & Exciting (3)
    Fistful of Power (3)
    Matrix Pyro (2)
    Pyro Gumbo (2)
    Pyro Magic (2)
    Ready to Rumble (4)
    Red White & Blue Salute (3)
    Super Stock Car (2)
    Wreckless (4)

500g

American Celebration (2)
    Extreme Machine (2)
    Fighting Rooster (2)
    Ghost Rider (2)
    Hustler (2)
    Legend (2)
    Return to Glory (2)
    Smokin Hot (2)
    Special Forces (2)
    Stinger (2)

If you think some of the 500g cakes would look just as good if shot as a single item please let me know, or if you think it needs to be paired with something else.
    I really want each board to look somewhat different from the last. I also need some suggestions for a few good World Class fountains to use in the opening. Are there any that start as a fountain that transition to an arial?

As a side note: The host of this party is a good friend and we have been doing this every year for the past 10 years. Each year it gets bigger and bigger. He supplies
    all of the food and drink and I supply all of the fireworks. He doesn't like to shoot them but goes crazy when they are going off. Every time we get together he is always asking what I am going to do this year. I am telling you all of this because he is currently taking chemo for an aggressive cancer that they thought was gone 2 years ago. The doctors are hopeful that they can get it out but most of us think that this may be his last year with us. I want to give him a show just in case. With your help I hope we can make this something special. I'm having somebody make a video so he can have a copy to keep and I'll post it here after the 4th. due to the amount of product we will be shooting and the limited space available we have decided to hand fire the show. I suggested moving it to a nearby ball field so I could e-fire it from multiple locations by the host wants to keep it in his neighborhood so I am going to comply with his request. Basically there will be nobody but the shooters within 150 feet of the product.
    Last edited by Digitalbooomer; April 28th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Default Re: Making a List....Checking it Twice

looking at your list of 500g cakes, any chance you can grab any sexy rider or asian sensation? those are 2 staple items i get every year for a small backyard show i do at a friends house. everyone seems to love the crackling tails on asian sensation. another side note, when is your actual show planned? there has to be a way to talk them into moving it to give you more space, which sounds like it would be safer and end up a better show as you can fire from multiple stations.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FireBug270 View Post
    looking at your list of 500g cakes, any chance you can grab any sexy rider or asian sensation? those are 2 staple items i get every year for a small backyard show i do at a friends house. everyone seems to love the crackling tails on asian sensation. another side note, when is your actual show planned? there has to be a way to talk them into moving it to give you more space, which sounds like it would be safer and end up a better show as you can fire from multiple stations.
    I could pick them both up but may need to replace something else on the list due to budget restrictions. I haven't seen either cake but the videos look like any other 12 shot (9/3) cake. I do realize that in many cases the videos don't do it any justice. If I picked up 2 of each of those, what would you take off the list?

My friend does live on a cul de sac street and there is a large asphalt area at the end where we will set up. The lots are quite large and the homes are a good 200 to 250 feet back of the edge of the road. I will have 2 stations but they will only be about 20 feet apart. That is why many of the 500g cakes are in pairs. I have other stuff to shoot, I made a post in the Phantom section about a recent purchase there. I put that information in here but edited it out because it made the topic too long to read. If you want to check into that topic you can see what else I will be shooting.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...rip-to-Phantom

where are you buying from?
    You have to go through hell to get to heaven!

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    where are you buying from?
    Carolina Fireworks in Easley, SC

20' is better then nothing to some people, but since you cant angle the cakes due to houses on both sides, your still going to have some overlap. As a result, your audience wont get to see 2 big full breaks from the 500g cakes, rather about 1/2-3/4 of one and 1/2-3/4 of the other with some overlap. All in personal preference but i like to have 2 completely seperate. I also understand sometimes we have limitations, just seems like you have the option to resolve the issue.

Member Array

I haven't seen either in person but videos look like really good.
    Very Evil has a variety of effects in one cake
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCgq...720&height=400

Also somewhat similar is too much for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzMxh...0&feature=plcp

Or you could look at frozen by fire as well

Member Array

20' is better then nothing to some people, but since you cant angle the cakes due to houses on both sides, your still going to have some overlap. As a result, your audience wont get to see 2 big full breaks from the 500g cakes, rather about 1/2-3/4 of one and 1/2-3/4 of the other with some overlap. All in personal preference but i like to have 2 completely seperate. I also understand sometimes we have limitations, just seems like you have the option to resolve the issue.
    I know what you mean, I'm even considering just putting the 2 cakes on a single board and quick fusing them and firing from a single station like a single cake but with twice the effect. That is why I'm asking you guys because you have much more experience than I do. Or would I be better served by buying a greater varierty of cakes and just shoot them one at a time? Another idea is 2 cakes from a single station but with 2 different effects so it is more layered. The problem with that is finding cakes that complement each other and have similar timing. In the past when I have tried that the end comes up week because 1 cake runs out before the other one.

With limited space could you try to time the cakes a second or so apart for a fuller affect and not so much overlap from double breaks?

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mortor View Post
    With limited space could you try to time the cakes a second or so apart for a fuller affect and not so much overlap from double breaks?
    Now we're cooking with grease! Good idea, fire 2 cakes from the same station but fused seconds apart.

20' is better then nothing to some people....your still going to have some overlap. As a result, your audience wont get to see 2 big full breaks from the 500g cakes.....
    I agree with FireBug270 on this point.
    If you only have 20' separation between big breaking 500 grammers you will have substantial overlap in the sky.
    If a 500g is nice enough to stand on it's own (and you have space constraints) I would shoot it from a center location as a "single". You'll get to enjoy the break, won't be "over saturating" an area of the sky, and won't be wasting a 2nd cake (saves money).
    I'm not in to the "as much as you can put into the sky at once" approach to doing a show. But "to each his own", so do it your way .

Another option is shooting 2 200g on angles and 1 500g straight up, all from a single position. You would have to figure timing on which cakes to shoot together, or you could just randomly pick and go with it. Yes 1 effect is going to end sooner then the other, but your crowd isnt going to care, they are just going to be happy they are getting to see a good show.