Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screwed by Father-in-Law

Default Screwed by Father-in-Law

I was just informed that my father-in-law has decided to not let me use his truck to haul a trailer this Saturday to pick up my order at Victory. Needless to say this throws my plans way off. If I break down my 32 cases of product, will they fit in a 2009 Honda CR-V. I can also have my buddy bring his Ford Fusion. I wish he would of just told me weeks ago that the answer was no.

Default Re: Screwed by Father-in-Law

Ouch, doubt that would fit in a CR-V w/o strapping cases to the roof; I'm sure others will chime in. How about renting a pickup truck or small truck with enclosed bed from home depot, lowes, u-haul or somewhere else?
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Jefferson

really all comes down to product selection. No way even breaking it down it will fit in your vehicle alone. But if you have your car and your buddies, you might be in luck. If you have mostly 500g cakes though, im gonna say your probably screwed.

Rent the truck from home depot if feasible , uhaul or enterprise rents pick ups and vans
    Member NLPC/PGI/MAPAG

MAFF 2011 One Fuse
    MAFF 2012 "Music of the Night"
    PGI 2013 Class C Unlimited

I have fit 20+ cases in my Ford Fusion, so CRV and Fusion would be no problem. CRV may be a stretch if you have 32 cases of 500g cakes and no shells to easily break down or small 200g you can shove between the seats. I also have to ask 0 are you by yourself going to Victory, or do you have to pick up a chick or bring the wifey or a kid?

See, there are many variables to take into consideration...I suggest reading this thread that was posted prior to yours --
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...-a-midsize-car

Member Array

I would also inform said father-in-law that he is not invited to see the show.

Member Array

Do what I did go to u haul get a trailer hitch installed rent a 4 x 8 trailer and tell your father in law to take a Hike..........

Member Array

Get a u-haul for $20 and invite the whole family to enjoy the festivities. Or find another buddy. Don't foul up your relationship over fireworks.

Be the bigger man.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2 - - MAFF
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant
    Have Fun. Be Safe. SALUTE

I would piss in his wheaties and laugh.

Geek, Pyro, Patriot Array BobThePyro's Avatar

I'd be more worried about the weight of 32 cases even if you did manage to cram 'em in. You gotta be over 1,000#, easy, possibly as high as 1,400#. Can you say "overload" and not the fun kind?

Dunno if there is much point to getting a hitch. 2009 CR-V is only rated for (*GoogleGoogleGoogle*) 1,500# towing capacity. Really? That low? My little red BoomWagen can do 1,680#. Eh, still might be feasible if you can also get your hands on a trailer lighter than a U-Haul beast. The 4x8 cargo trailer weighs 800#. It's obviously over-built but I guess it has to be since people will treat it like the rental it is.

Buddy with a Fusion is the easy way to go for the short term.
    WARNING: May post before caffeine is installed.

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." - Derek Bok

Last one to become a supporting member is a vegetarian!

Member Array

You can always tell your buddies and the guy at the bar to bend over and hold your rocket but is different with your Father-in-Law. Chances are if you are lucky you will see him often. He is your wife's daddy, your kids Grand-Father etc, etc.

Be the man your wife married not the A-Hole your father-in-law warned his daughter about.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2 - - MAFF
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant

You have a CR-V... If you dont have a hitch on it, put one on!

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-hitch-ins...honda-crv.aspx

~$200 will get you a hitch and wiring kit. ~$20-30 to rent an enclosed trailer from uhaul and you're good to go.

....or rent a van
    Fireworks....yay!

How many of those cases are shell kits? Those are 75% dead space and can be broken down big time. I can seen some amazing pyro tetris games at group buys over the years. Don't forget you can get several 200 gramers under each seat and screw the spare tire!!!
    9th annual Saint Louis Shoot - Sept 11 - 14
    Midwest Fireworks Festival - Mentone, IN. Sept. 12-15
    www.WikiFireworks.com

PGI Member | HPA Member
    BATFE 54 | CDL B w/Hazmat

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalbooomer View Post
    I would also inform said father-in-law that he is not invited to see the show.
    Thats being petty and all that will do is cause problems with family.

As for how are you gonna pick them up, rent a van
    Chicago Lights Pyro

F-I-L and me are very cool so not an issue there. Just wish he would have told me earlier he had reservations about me using his truck. I respect that since it is his truck. Plans could have been made to rent truck or put hitch on CR-V. As to what I am picking up:
    Full Cases:
    Home on the Range 2 cases
    Grand Canyon
    Hit the road jack
    call fromouterspace
    Hollywood trip
    wild west
    Sexy rider
    fighting rooster
    boss
    smokin hot
    asian sensation
    #3000 tube
    super crackling rainbow
    breaking point finale
    city crasher
    gold brocade bash
    buck fever
    double lightning shells
    cyber candle 2 cases
    mighty cobra
    zillionaire bulk shells
    iron revenger 2 cases
    devils stairs
    juggernaut
    outta control
    30 sec flame

Split cases:
    hustle and bustle
    gold brocade bash
    american intensity

Thats the list. I guess impulse buys are out of the question. I appreciate everyones comments. Some how we will figure it out. Looks like 2 cars is the way we are leaning now. Renting a van from the Chicago area would kill us in mileage.
    Already told the wife a hitch is going on the Honda.
    Last edited by gmttnt13; April 26th, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Member Array

I live by O'Hare and rent a van when i go to victory. Just look threw the rental companies and get a van with unlimited mileage. Renting a van will be cheaper cas all you have to do is feed one vehicle gasoline instead of two.
    Another option is get it shipped. I shipped like 40-45 cases and it came out cheaper than when i drove out there. Have the product shipped to a truck terminal in either Wisconsin or Indiana, whichever is closer. Also you could have it shipped to a friend or family members house in those states.

I suggest you grab a 6 pack of beer here in Chicago ( local brand) and take it up to Victory with you. That small investment will pay off many times over for you.
    Wayne (boss/owner), Jeff and Rolf really like beer and have it stocked in the warehouse.
    Tell um Mark says hello and ill be up there soon

Quote Originally Posted by gmttnt13 View Post
    F-I-L and me are very cool so not an issue there. Just wish he would have told me earlier he had reservations about me using his truck. I respect that since it is his is truck. Plans could have been made to rent truck or put hitch on CR-V. As to what I am picking up:
    Full Cases:
    Home on the Range 2 cases
    Grand Canyon
    Hit the road jack
    call fromouterspace
    Hollywood trip
    wild west
    Sexy rider
    fighting rooster
    boss
    smokin hot
    asian sensation
    #3000 tube
    super crackling rainbow
    breaking point finale
    city crasher
    gold brocade bash
    buck fever
    double lightning shells
    cyber candle 2 cases
    mighty cobra
    zillionaire bulk shells
    iron revenger 2 cases
    devils stairs
    juggernaut
    outta control
    30 sec flame

Split cases:
    hustle and bustle
    gold brocade bash
    american intensity

Thats the list. I guess impulse buys are out of the question. I appreciate everyones comments. Some how we will figure it out. Looks like 2 cars is the way we are leaning now. Renting a van from the Chicago area would kill us in mileage.
    Already told the wife a hitch is going on the Honda.
    Chicago Lights Pyro

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by strobes View Post
    Thats being petty and all that will do is cause problems with family.

As for how are you gonna pick them up, rent a van
    I guess you are right, that was just the first though that came into my head. Should have thought it through before I spoke up.

Quote Originally Posted by BobThePyro View Post
    I'd be more worried about the weight of 32 cases even if you did manage to cram 'em in. You gotta be over 1,000#, easy, possibly as high as 1,400#. Can you say "overload" and not the fun kind?.
    Humm I don't know, it may be close, 30lbs x 32 = 960.,. / 35lbs x 32 = 1120 I thought per DOT you had to stay under 1000lbs per vehicle when transporting consumer fireworks without displaying 1.4 g placards on your vehicle... I know the stores in Pahrump add the weight when people by allot of cases and will not allow client’s to put more than 1000 lbs per car/van.
    APWC/ NPA/ WPA
    Tech copies: Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice shame on me!

Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array

lol at the Thread Title...

How do you think he felt when you started doing the same thing to his daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by SLAP View Post
    lol at the Thread Title...

How do you think he felt when you started doing the same thing to his daughter?
    Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Snakes and Sparklers Array HerrLoll's Avatar

I think you can do it. Just take out all the seats except the driver's. I just read in Popular Mechanics last night that you can take out all the seats out of a CRV in less than 30 minutes. I put 30 cases in my Chrysler Concorde and could have fit 2 more cases of shells (I only broke down one case of 200 grammers).
    Asking a true pyro how much a show cost to put on is like asking an artist how much a painting costed to paint... It's a ridiculous and stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by leeca View Post
    Humm I don't know, it may be close, 30lbs x 32 = 960.,. / 35lbs x 32 = 1120 I thought per DOT you had to stay under 1000lbs per vehicle when transporting consumer fireworks without displaying 1.4 g placards on your vehicle... I know the stores in Pahrump add the weight when people by allot of cases and will not allow client’s to put more than 1000 lbs per car/van.
    That's only if you're in commerce, i.e. operating with a CDL for a company. Joe Private Citizen can carry as much as he wants without placards.

Herrloll's idea: Forgot about removing seats. Honda seat removal is real easy. That's prolly 150-200# outta the car right there that can be replaced with pyro. I changed my mind. To heck with your buddy. What Herrloll said, rip the seats out.

Victory will be able to tell you your total weight, BTW. Just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrLoll View Post
    I think you can do it. Just take out all the seats except the driver's. I just read in Popular Mechanics last night that you can take out all the seats out of a CRV in less than 30 minutes. I put 30 cases in my Chrysler Concorde and could have fit 2 more cases of shells (I only broke down one case of 200 grammers).
    Good call....

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=32633
    Fireworks....yay!

Member Array

The last time I checked it was for comp weight only. Cardboard and clay are pretty heavy. My last order of 1.4G the comp weight was about 22% of the gross weight.

You will be hard pressed 1,000 lbs comp any where near a van. That about 4,500 lbs gross.

I have that somewhere near 128 cases.

It also depends if you are in commerce or not.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong here.
    Last edited by Northern Sky; April 27th, 2012 at 06:26 AM.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2 - - MAFF
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by BobThePyro View Post
    Joe Private Citizen can carry as much as he wants without placards.
    That's not necessarily true...

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site...gnextfmt=print

Q4. Are there additional requirements for transporting large quantities of consumer fireworks?
    A4. Yes, for any shipment of Division 1.4G fireworks more than 1,001 lbs., gross weight, on a vehicle, the following additional requirements apply:

Transport vehicles must be operated by a driver with a CDL that includes a hazmat endorsement (see 49 CFR 177.804 and 49 CFR Part 383).
    Transport vehicles must be placarded on each side, and each end, with EXPLOSIVES 1.4 placards (see 49 CFR Part 172, Subpart F).
    Shippers and the carrier must both develop and implement security plans that include an assessment of possible transportation risks of the fireworks and appropriate measures to address the risks. At a minimum, security plans must address personnel security, en route security, and unauthorized access (see 49 CFR Part 172, Subpart I).
    Transporters/carriers must apply and hold a current hazmat registration certificate issued by PHMSA (see 49 CFR Part 107, Subpart G).

Q5. What are the potential Federal consequences for not following requirements for transporting consumer fireworks?
    A5. Persons found to be in violation of the HMR may be subject to significant civil penalties, criminal fines, and imprisonment. Maximum penalties depend on several factors, including the nature and circumstances, extent and gravity, and severity of the consequences of the violation, but can range up to $110,000 per violation for a civil penalty, and $500,000 and 10 years imprisonment for a criminal penalty.

Member Array

You skipped this part:

Background

Requirements governing the transportation of hazmat in commerce, including consumer fireworks, are contained in the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR; 49 Code of Federal Regulations Parts 171-180).

That's not necessarily true...

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site...gnextfmt=print

Q4. Are there additional requirements for transporting large quantities of consumer fireworks?
    A4. Yes, for any shipment of Division 1.4G fireworks more than 1,001 lbs., gross weight, on a vehicle, the following additional requirements apply:
    Last edited by Northern Sky; April 27th, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2 - - MAFF
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant

I was told here in Utah by the State Fire Marshall's office that I was not permitted to transport consumer fireworks in excess of 1000 lbs. Even if it was all for me, or being split up between 10 people.

Maybe they are wrong, but that is how they have interpreted it.

It's probably not a bad idea either... stuffing you seatless vehicle with as many fireworks as you can possible fit (potentially obstructing your view) may sound "cool"... but it isn't very intelligent.

Snakes and Sparklers Array HerrLoll's Avatar

I do not condone illegal activities, but honestly, who here has not transported more than 1000# of works in a private vehicle? I saw a guy at a demo last year that had at least 1000# stuffed into a Toyota Yaris. No, really.
    Asking a true pyro how much a show cost to put on is like asking an artist how much a painting costed to paint... It's a ridiculous and stupid question.

Member Array

Now that would be one "bangin" low rider.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrLoll View Post
    I do not condone illegal activities, but honestly, who here has not transported more than 1000# of works in a private vehicle? I saw a guy at a demo last year that had at least 1000# stuffed into a Toyota Yaris. No, really.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2 - - MAFF
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant

I was told here in Utah by the State Fire Marshall's office that I was not permitted to transport consumer fireworks in excess of 1000 lbs. Even if it was all for me, or being split up between 10 people.

Maybe they are wrong, but that is how they have interpreted it.

It's probably not a bad idea either... stuffing you seatless vehicle with as many fireworks as you can possible fit (potentially obstructing your view) may sound "cool"... but it isn't very intelligent.
    Well, I make the presumption OP isn't idiot and knows he has to be able to see out of the darned car. When I load my BoomWagen, visibility is priority 1.