Thread: graphic photos of fireworks INJURIES as a training aid / reality check

Default graphic photos of fireworks INJURIES as a training aid / reality check

I was looking at the other thread in here about "fallacy of ematching" etc. and decided to google images of fireworks injury images.

quite convincing and shocking and worthy of consideration / observation for anyone in order to keep in mind what can and might happen with even 1.4 pyro .

i know that police academies will require cops in training to look at stuff like this as they will eventually see it in their line of work.

good to know what can happen and best if it doesn't !

Member Array

Default Re: graphic photos of fireworks INJURIES as a training aid / reality check

Things can go wrong in a hurry. I treat fireworks both 1.4G and 1.3G like I do a gun; always loaded. When handling or working with them always keep the business end pointed in a safe direction. Never work over a cake or loaded mortar.

Accidents usually happen when someone is careless or untrained.

Food for thought.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI CERTIFIED MEMBER
    COBRA 18R2
    MAFF ANYWHERE North East Ohio Pyros HANG OUT
    Have Fun. Be Safe. SALUTE

Default Re: graphic photos of fireworks INJURIES as a training aid / reality check

there is a video floating around that is quite disturbing...

just search "kid blows off hand" and you'll find it. look for the one where the kid is standing down beside a river, it's very graphic and hard to watch, the kids screams are something that makes my skin crawl.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

KCAP Charter Member Array mattrod's Avatar

when used improperly Anything can cause serious injuries.
    A lot of the photos/videos out there are exaggerated/staged, Made to show extreme dangers (from misuse) so the gov't can restrict fireworks even more.
    You defiantly need to treat 1.4 with respect, but don't believe everything you see on the internets....
    KCAP Board Member/PGI/MAPAG/MAFF
    Cobra18R-Pyromate P45
    youtube.com/ratrodford
    BATFE TYPE 54 - MO/KS DISPLAY OPERATOR

Member Array

Not this one again.....................

Quote Originally Posted by St1dinoh View Post

just search "kid blows off hand" and you'll find it. look for the one where the kid is standing down beside a river, it's very graphic and hard to watch, the kids screams are something that makes my skin crawl.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI CERTIFIED MEMBER
    COBRA 18R2

I have seen more graphic traumatic injuries than most people on this board. I have seen the pictures and video of it in school as well. I don't think those kind of images are helpful in preventing poor judgement from the average person. It is nothing but shock value, and some find it "cool".

I had lifeguard training that used home video of a kid drowning in a public pool as part of the instruction. The intent was to scare people to do their job properly so they wouldn't have to deal with someone drowning. Where it failed was when a guy washed up on shore who had fallen overboard on a recreational boat a week or so earlier. His death had nothing to do with the beach I worked, but we a bunch of guards still quit feeling they failed somehow.

I felt the same way with some of the videos shown during drivers ed about drunk driving. They shock some and others are amused by the gore, but there is no real educational value. A couple don't text while driving videos and slideshows ae the same.
    Member of HPA

"They said: There's too much caffeine in your bloodstream"

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Sky View Post
    Not this one again.....................
    yup, that one.

the kids screams is what sells it... it's one of those things you can't un-see/un-hear.

i don't care if people think it's "fear mongering" or "anti-fireworks propaganda", facts are facts, there are a lot of idiots out there who make things improperly (shiny fuses) and a lot of idiots out there who use them improperly...

from time to time those two meet and someone looses his hand.

i'm not saying fear the device/composition, just saying everyone should respect the potential.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

^ Amen!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^

BigMO
    MOPYRO Member
    BATFE Type 54
    Giggle like a school girl with tears running down your cheeks LOUD!!!

That was f$%ed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    That was f$%ed up!
    yup

shiny fuses are a bad thing.
    www.millerfireworks.com

WOW never seen that one before.

Member Array

Yup again, i saw that one a few weeks ago. Extremely graphic!

I'm with Nater, my job involves me seeing alot of that type of injury, as well as gsw's, stabbings, car wrecks, etc. Just had one come in a few days ago, kid had a 2 in salute go off in his hand. If a picture is worth a 1000 words, this one is worth 1000000000000 words. Basically, it looks like the guy got a 2 in salute and modified it to go off on the ground, I agree not hard. Anywho, he lit the qm and boom. Thought the quick match would be slower. Blew his whole hand off, and had a thread of a thumb hanging. The blast fractured the midshaft of his radius and ulna.

While graphic, I think it serves a lesson. There are alot of dumb people out there, I don't get the excitement of taking a salute lighting it and chucking it, when it would look perfectly beautiful in the air. I think lighting shells and salutes on the ground is popular in europe, but it is quickly spreading here.
    -PGI member
    -HPA member
    -peace through superior firepower
    -crack doesn't smoke itself

Northeastern Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Region. Avatar: "The Anthracite King"

What better place to come for anti- fireworks ammo than to a PUBLIC fireworks site like Pyro Universe? I'd refrain from doing this on a fireworks friendly forum such as this. Use PM, don't make the case for the anti-fireworks crowd. Let them do the work themselves.
    Member,
    Crackerjacks: 2nd Vice President/Safety Chair
    BATFE Type 54 Permittee
    http://www.coalregion.com/

Quote Originally Posted by matandch View Post
    What better place to come for anti- fireworks ammo than to a PUBLIC fireworks site like Pyro Universe? I'd refrain from doing this on a fireworks friendly forum such as this. Use PM, don't make the case for the anti-fireworks crowd. Let them do the work themselves.
    what blew that kid's hand off is not a firework, it's a federally banned explosive device, it's no different than a kid blowing his hand off lighting a pipe bomb.
    www.millerfireworks.com

KCAP Charter Member Array mattrod's Avatar

what blew that kid's hand off is not a firework, it's a federally banned explosive device, it's no different than a kid blowing his hand off lighting a pipe bomb.

The OP was talking about legal 1.4.....

Quote Originally Posted by sparkdog View Post
    I was looking at the other thread in here about "fallacy of ematching" etc. and decided to google images of fireworks injury images.

quite convincing and shocking and worthy of consideration / observation for anyone in order to keep in mind what can and might happen with even 1.4 pyro .
    KCAP Board Member/PGI/MAPAG/MAFF
    Cobra18R-Pyromate P45
    youtube.com/ratrodford
    BATFE TYPE 54 - MO/KS DISPLAY OPERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by matandch View Post
    What you don't understand is that every time someone goes to the hospital with even a suggestion of a firework injury, whether it be a bootlegged salute, fuse burn to the hand, stepped on sparkler, banned explosive (m-80, etc) it gets catalogued. A report gets sent to the local PD, who sends that off to the ATF, and God knows what happens from there.

So search all you want on a public fireworks site, fact of the matter is that data is being collected all over, and the stuff they have is a ton worse than anything posted on here. Further more, Pyro U, honestly, is the mouthpiece for the safe use of pyro. While I sometimes make fun of the scissors people, they have your safety in mind, which is very respectable.

You wanna fight the anti-pyro crowd, you should be getting mad at the yahoo posting a you tube vid showing a bottle rocket war, or a roman candle war, or lighting salutes on the ground, launching shells from the crotch. Last I checked, many of the comments posted about these read something like : cool, where did you get that from?, man, that rocked!, I want some of those. How many comments do you see bashing these behaviors, they're far and few in between, and far outnumbered by the previously mentioned coments.

So, a post on pyro u will not do anything for the anti-pyro crowd, but morons using pyro improperly for the world to see will, then they visit the hospital, and the paperwork all starts. Trust me, I know. I've actually had to fill out these questioneers, what kind of device? where was it purchased? who gave it to you? how did it look (complete with pictures).....
    -PGI member
    -HPA member
    -peace through superior firepower
    -crack doesn't smoke itself

Member Array

I forbid anyone near any of my displays to light anything while holding it in one hand and lighting it with the other. I got into a heated argument with my brother in law because he lit and threw a crackling ball. I might have looked a little crazy arguing this with him but I know I got my point across he has never done it again in front of me. I have a zero tollerance for that. My best friends dad lost most of his hand when he was 16 he lit a federally banned explosive device went to throw it on the deck and the screan door was closed . You could do the math from there . Needless to say they amputated his big Toe and attached it as a thumb and that along with the other 2 partial fingers he could grip things....

Northeastern Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal Region. Avatar: "The Anthracite King"

Quote Originally Posted by mgh1980 View Post
    What you don't understand is that every time someone goes to the hospital with even a suggestion of a firework injury, whether it be a bootlegged salute, fuse burn to the hand, stepped on sparkler, banned explosive (m-80, etc) it gets catalogued. A report gets sent to the local PD, who sends that off to the ATF, and God knows what happens from there.

So search all you want on a public fireworks site, fact of the matter is that data is being collected all over, and the stuff they have is a ton worse than anything posted on here. Further more, Pyro U, honestly, is the mouthpiece for the safe use of pyro. While I sometimes make fun of the scissors people, they have your safety in mind, which is very respectable.

You wanna fight the anti-pyro crowd, you should be getting mad at the yahoo posting a you tube vid showing a bottle rocket war, or a roman candle war, or lighting salutes on the ground, launching shells from the crotch. Last I checked, many of the comments posted about these read something like : cool, where did you get that from?, man, that rocked!, I want some of those. How many comments do you see bashing these behaviors, they're far and few in between, and far outnumbered by the previously mentioned coments.

So, a post on pyro u will not do anything for the anti-pyro crowd, but morons using pyro improperly for the world to see will, then they visit the hospital, and the paperwork all starts. Trust me, I know. I've actually had to fill out these questioneers, what kind of device? where was it purchased? who gave it to you? how did it look (complete with pictures).....
    I'd still stay away from this type of stuff on this forum. Yahoo isn't a fireworks dedicated venue. They don't represent the fireworks community. For many years the tobacco industry denied using tobacco was dangerous. Most polluting Industries deny they might be the cause of cancer, global warming. etc. Why do we need to be promoting the dangers of fireworks publicly. The CPSC already does a good enough job. As a community we can say what we want in private, doing it publicly implies that ALL fireworks are dangerous and ergo they should be banned. We're hurting our own cause otherwise. Take a lesson from the tobacco lobby.
    Last edited by matandch; April 26th, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Member,
    Crackerjacks: 2nd Vice President/Safety Chair
    BATFE Type 54 Permittee
    http://www.coalregion.com/

Member Array

I sure wish I could close this thread.

Until then.

Let it die
    BATF Type 54
    PGI CERTIFIED MEMBER
    COBRA 18R2