Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opening

Default opening

I have opened my last few shows with a barrage of 200 gram cakes shooting from my center station. My last show my friend said oh it started like the last one. Not as an insult just his observation even though the cakes were different. For my next show I'm toying with opening with a case of 234 shot SMB's I have laying around. Any thoughts? I don't want it to be cheesy but I feel I need something different. I have some cakes that can add some noise as well. Honestly I'm finding it real hard to get motivated on my planning for the 4th. I've started and stopped for a few months now.
    Member CFP/FPAG

Default Re: opening

Quote Originally Posted by floridapyro View Post
    I have opened my last few shows with a barrage of 200 gram cakes shooting from my center station. My last show my friend said oh it started like the last one. Not as an insult just his observation even though the cakes were different. For my next show I'm toying with opening with a case of 234 shot SMB's I have laying around. Any thoughts? I don't want it to be cheesy but I feel I need something different. I have some cakes that can add some noise as well. Honestly I'm finding it real hard to get motivated on my planning for the 4th. I've started and stopped for a few months now.
    I hear ya bro, it depends on if you want an intense opener or a slower opener and gradually speed up the pace throughout the show. I've decided to open my show with a front of Pure Fantasy, 15' x 20sec gerbs, and most likely some reloadable 'dolas at the end of the opener to direct the crowds eyes to the sky.

What have you done as an opener and what haven't you done? Maybe put a big twist on your usual opener and go with a barrage of rockets?

super member Array Duncanbullet's Avatar

put up a mini puke, of crap shells. like maybe 40 shells all QM'd or fast fused.
    2 Things always on my mind, God and Fireworks
    DuncanPyro L.L.C.
    Certified Pyrotechnician by Pyroextreme L.L.C.
    http://Duncanpyro.webs.com

I say light a whole case of your pink fountians that should throw every one for a loop and start it off with a bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    I hear ya bro, it depends on if you want an intense opener or a slower opener and gradually speed up the pace throughout the show. I've decided to open my show with a front of Pure Fantasy, 15' x 20sec gerbs, and most likely some reloadable 'dolas at the end of the opener to direct the crowds eyes to the sky.
    What have you done as an opener and what haven't you done? Maybe put a big twist on your usual opener and go with a barrage of rockets?
    I may go slow this year. I have alot of intense fast 500 gram cakes. But may go with comets and waterfalls. I don't do rockets at home, just at shoots. They are to unpredictable for my liking at home. This year just has me bummed out. Middle of the week, wife may have to work, blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanbullet View Post
    put up a mini puke, of crap shells. like maybe 40 shells all QM'd or fast fused.
    I do have a bunch of crap shells.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersfan View Post
    I say light a whole case of your pink fountians that should throw every one for a loop and start it off with a bang.
    Ya the man will shut me down before I start.
    Member CFP/FPAG

I was thinking about opening my show with a couple wheel towers with a line of cone fountians on top to make a waterfall, or I was going to sub the fountians for a wall of firecrackers just don't know how to stop the wheels from setting them off to soon.

I've angled a boat load of pearl cakes / \ then had mines go off every 10 seconds or so stepping towards the middle then finish it off with a bright red peacock cake.
    Gets the crowd good and pumped before the body of the show starts!!!!
    If you see me running, try to keep up!!
    Member-N.F.A.
    P.G.I.
    http://en.freakpyromaniacs.com/forum
    http://www.maff.ws/

Fountains / Strobes are a great opener.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

I debated on doing a giant crackle opener for this years show. I was going to have a case of all crackle fountains, a case of mighty cobra, a case of a cheap all crackling 200g cake, and a case of massive crackle. I decided against it both because of costs and I thought it would be a little too intense. I've decided on opening with half a case of Mighty Cobras and some shells.
    Come to the pyro side, we have things that go BOOM!

Bacon & Fireworks certified.

I plan on some fountains to get the attention, then several mine combinations, followed by 8 salute cannons. Simple, but I'm hoping it make's an impact.
    Is there ever enough Pyro?

Last year i opened with 2 fiery eye's and 1 dark magic fountain togather. I spaced the eye's 4' apart and raised the dark magic about 2' above the wheels. After the eye's went i used 2 4' fronts of killer bee and cuckoo fountains, i liked it and so did my crowd. This year to keep it differant, i'm going with a 5 angle candle barage fast fused. I have never opened my shows with any cakes or shells, alway's fountains. Might have to try it sometime myself.

Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    Fountains / Strobes are a great opener.
    gotta agree with shrap here, a nice mellow opener to introduce everyone to the "idea" of a fireworks show is a good way to go. it sorta wakes em up to the concept, but doesn't overwhelm them. a nice gentle lead in allows you to transition/crescendo into something more active and sky filling.

sorta like entering a room full of people you know.

you don't just walk in the door and start screaming at everyone, you work your way in, introduce yourself into the convo, then add something interesting.

depending on the show (music or not, and if so what song you open with) the show will dictate to you what works best for that situation. but i've found a good way to start things off is a nice wall of 500 gram fountains. if you pick one that transitions into an intense crackle finale, you can use that timing to introduce a more active show segment of louder effects overhead.

shooting a wall of criss-crossing crackling comet cakes over top of the crackle finale of a fountain looks real good.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by St1dinoh View Post
    you don't just walk in the door and start screaming at everyone.
    Just pictured this, a guy walks in and just screams,"AHHHH!"

This year I am going to do a wall of fire for my opener. 1 case silver razzle, 1 case+2 red razzle, alternated left to right.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_jason17 View Post
    This year I am going to do a wall of fire for my opener. 1 case silver razzle, 1 case+2 red razzle, alternated left to right.
    Man I would love to get my hands on some Razzle's. Excellent looking comet cake.

Everytime I hear/see "Razzle" I think of the candy from when I was younger

But staying on topic, I am thinking of opening with a wall of Pure Fantasy....12+ or so.

Quote Originally Posted by spicy View Post
    I am thinking of opening with a wall of Pure Fantasy....12+ or so.
    That would be a good opener.

I also like using a wall of mines, or cremoras... also a bunch of quick thunderking or salute shells work good.
    Fireworks....yay!

I hear ya Erik. Im in the same boat, Ive always opened up with a case or so of 96 shot Color Pearls but this year Im gonna change it up. Im thinking something with noise or bright color. Not sure yet.
    Member CFP aka Central Florida Pyros

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanbullet View Post
    I'd do this get the audience attention from the start.

The thing with fronts and walls is I only have 48 ques. I plan on fusing a couple boards so they only need one Que, but don't want to go overboard with that. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do now, and it will be a nice change from my last several shows.
    Member CFP/FPAG

So what are you going to do inquring minds want to know.

All in good time. I'll show you next time your over, that is if your wife doesn't kill you tonight if you ask about the shoot.
    Member CFP/FPAG

Yes Erik inquiring minds want to know!
    Member CFP aka Central Florida Pyros

I'm gonna keep my opener simple. I like to build up through the show. Gonna do 2 500g Party Pyrometer fountains with about 20 smiley face shells timed to them. I may not be able to resist putting something loud in there somewhere though.

Member Array

Going to start out with 4 world class gorilla warefare quickfused together than right into american power by black market

I say start slow with some fountains or strobes like others have said. This way you make sure everyone is paying attention. And then you could go into a slow song and add some comets and mines and just soft effects. I used to start out hard and then slow down but it doesn't build up as much. Last year I started slow and slowly built up and had much more sucess.

I would go like 4 or 6 strobe pots spread out to start. Then maybe add some fountains with a slower song if using music. Music really can help set the tone for the show. If you have a good slow song use it and then do some soft effects like comets, mines, and fish. These put together in a good combo with music can really grab someone's attention. Then after your song if using music you could get into something big.

For instance last year I started with 6 strobe pots with some evanescence song can't remember. Then had 6 stations of those single shot mines which are a small fountain and then a mine and shells. Then had some fountains and wheels. Then when the song was almost over and just kind of getting intense I had a 15 shot angled rack with 10 destroyer shells which break huge and 5 salute shells all quick fused so they went almost instantly and it really set the pace. I then sped up the next song and added candles and stuff like that.

Sorry this is getting long but I am on a thought now haha. Also when you start with music and something slow like that it gets people's mind kind of like loopy idk how else to describe it then at the end of the song the big bang makes them realize it is getting real and adding a faster paced song after gets the crowd going. At least this is what I have experienced in 6 years of doing shows and is my opinion. But definately don't be afraid to change it up and even try small weird things. Changing it up is a good thing.

Member Array

Some strobes and smoke to some slow opening music and right as the song takes off, a couple of cremoras in 5 gallon buckets usually gets everyone's attention. Doesn't matter what you put up next because they're still oohing and aahing about the cremoras!

Nothing says hello like a Lidu 36shot 2.5" salute cake in 4 seconds , BUTTT if your looking for a good 1.4 opener, well I like the idea of using some strobes and then maybe going into a bunch of mines. Personally, the opener has always been the hardest thing to decide upon. I know I've changed my mind about 10 times now as I'm sure most people have.

I let the opening song dictate how I open.

I started with flame pots and fountains to Evanescence's Bring Me To Life at the Fall 2011 MAFF..... but a few years ago I opened a 4th show with Pink Floyd's In The Flesh. Tough to start slow with that song.
    Member NLPC/PGI/MAPAG De. shooters license
    MAFF 2011
    MAFF 2012
    PGI 2013
    MAPAG 2014

That is very true ^.

The song can change a lot. And I too have changed my mind about 10 times on my opener. Although there have been some good ideas on here. Just got a new idea of what I might do. I might have some small fountains going spread out over the site and play the jaws them song and fire mines going towards the middle every time the shark sound goes. Then when it gets fast have like a z cake or else some fast paced cakes fire from the center like.