Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAFF April 2012 Coachtimmyj "Rise to the Challenge"

Default MAFF April 2012 Coachtimmyj "Rise to the Challenge"

Here's a video taken by cobz of the display I put together for this past MAFF. For the first time, I gave my little backyard production a "name". Not sure if that was corny or not, but I thought it sounded kind of cool and was trying to go for a little more "professional" type of production. Anyway....

Had some problems with the audio so I had to overlay the sound. Unfortunately, due to the audio issue, Pete didn't realize my show was even starting and didn't get the camera on quick enough (definitely NOT his fault as I'm surprised he got it on to even catch part of the intro).

Want to thank my son for his huge efforts in helping me get it set up as him and I landed about 90% of the cues ourselves prior to the event. To Tozz for coming out on Thursday and helping me run the long gerb and comet sequences in the front area. To Mark Hensell and Dave Hoyt from Extreme Pyrotechnics, Laura, Kenny, and Dave's friend whose name is eluding me now for their efforts in helping with the 1.3 setup on Saturday and Mark and Dave for handling the firing of the show while I was running around dealing with the crowd, fires, etc, etc. And also to Pete for actually capturing the show on video so I could actually see it for the first time lol. Oh yeah, thanks to nepyro for his help with the voiceover for the intro, truly a pro.

Also HUGE thanks to John Kemps from Celebration Fireworks for once again trusting me with his equipment in order to put this show together. Also to Dominator Fireworks (Ed and Scott in particular) for getting the sequencers, cables, and batteries to me.

Little about the show:

31 Firing positions not including the long cable sequences (12 close prox, 15 frontage, 4 rear)
    Approx 1600 cues using 48 Fire One modules
    Scripted using Finale Fireworks Pro Version

Product Used:

1.4 Mostly Dominator, Vanguard, Vulcan, and Spirit of '76 house brand product.

1.3 Mostly Yung Feng for the shells, although there was a little Dancing and Celebration's private label in there. The 1.3 cakes were from Ace Pyro with the exception of the Whistling cake which was Dancing product.

If anyone sees something in here they like and would like to know what product it was, give me a time point in the show and I'd be happy to share it with you.

Hope you all enjoy the show.

Last edited by coachtimmyj; April 18th, 2012 at 04:22 AM.
    Maryland Certified Outdoor Display Operator
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member
    Minions of M.A.F.F. Pro Am Competition Display

Default Re: MAFF April 2012 Coachtimmyj "Rise to the Challenge"

From a guy who was sitting in the front row center, no video could do this show justice. Many ground effects and timing effects that unless you had five camera angles you couldn’t capture. Tim this was awesome I enjoyed it immensely. When my son and I returned home it was one of the main things he was talking about. I'm sure you will hear it many times; you always entertain above and beyond.
    Last edited by carp271; April 18th, 2012 at 05:22 AM.

Awesome show coach. It's not too often I get goosebumps from watching a fireworks show. Perfect music... Perfect product .... Perfect timing ........That my friend was ...... PERFECT!

Great Show! Excellent product and great timing !

CoachTimmyJ ROCK!!!!!!!
    MOPYRO Member
    BATFE Type 54
    Giggle like a school girl with tears running down your cheeks LOUD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thymer View Post
    Awesome show coach. It's not too often I get goosebumps from watching a fireworks show. Perfect music... Perfect product .... Perfect timing ........That my friend was ...... PERFECT!
    I thought I had seen an awesome show to begin with but finally hearing it with the music............

Tim,

OMG!!!!

Goosebumps?!?! Hell, i don't think I even took a breath for the last 5 mins of the video! All i can say is , Thank you.
    NLPC Member

2012 FALL MID-ATLANTIC FIREWORKS FESTIVAL

"Those voices in your head~~~~Well,Tell them that I miss our little talks!!"

wow: 10++++
    Member;
    Northern Lights Pyro Club
    PGI and Certified
    WNYPA/NYPA
    The Fireworks Alliance

Member Array

What can be said about this production? Tim, this was truly a work of art performed by a master. It had so many hi-lights.
    I, like so many others, was holding my breaths anticipating how the next sequence would unfold. This was a masterful work. Thank you for sharing with us.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2 - - MAFF
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant
    Have Fun. Be Safe. SALUTE

Member Array

Ok, that was a great show. Nicely done. I can only imagine how much time you spent planning and then setting up. Makes it all worth it when everything turns out that perfect.

Great job!!!

When I grow up I want to be like Coach Tim.
    NEOPG
    Wicked - Tron
    Oh Long Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Wykedtron View Post
    When I grow up I want to be like Coach Tim.
    You? Grow up? Perish the thought.
    9th Annual St. Louis Group Shoot | Ohio Fireworks Law | Northeast Ohio Pyros
    Ohio Licensed Lead Exhibitor | BATFE Type 54 | PGI Member/Certified | President NEOPG

Excellent work. Top shelf. Are you ready for a vacation??! The amount of preparation looks staggering. I'm tired just thinking about it.....
    www.nhpyro.org/forums
    100% Red Blooded American Constitutional Libertarian

Member Array

Yeah, when you get goosebumps, shivers and maybe a little tear in the eye you know the technician did a bang up job. Great display coach and selection of music.
    KCAP - Charter Member
    Pippa Middleton Ass Appreciation Society
    Remote Firing Systems
    FJpyrosystems
    Py in the Sky non-sparking tools

Show definitely made me get goosebumps....being there to see it - was amazing, just amazing.

Holy bajeezus! Tim! That was absolutely amazing!
    AKA "Tim Lawnchair"
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
    Become a supporting member!

Quote Originally Posted by taz5king View Post
    Ok, that was a great show. Nicely done. I can only imagine how much time you spent planning and then setting up. Makes it all worth it when everything turns out that perfect.

Great job!!!
    Member NLPC/PGI/MAPAG

MAFF 2011 One Fuse
    MAFF 2012 "Music of the Night"
    PGI 2013 Class C Unlimited

I missed the first half of the show due to not being able to see from the bright lights but it was still amazing
    I am just a thump junkie avoiding rehab

PGI Member 2012
    Rebel Leader NEOPG

Thunderstruck Array jonkelley82's Avatar

Absolutely outstanding job Tim. You can tell this is a true passion because that is way to much work for most "normal" people. Great product choices there too. The teal to green/yellow falling leaves cakes looked awesome, as well as the rainbow front of what appeared to be swimming mines. The front of rainbow crossette fans were killer. Good job on the timing and choice of effects at 5:44 - 5:49! I have to ask, what effect/device softly broke 2x while rising to a waterfall parachute combo starting at the 7:02 mark and drifting left on screen until the 7:43 mark? It's 1.3g I'm assuming? Some of the colors were amazing, was that the way the camera picked them up or were they really that vibrant? Again, great job and thanks for sharing.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. I don't know if less is more, but I am constantly trying to do more with less!

Our 2012 Finale - Our 2011 Finale - Our 2010 Finale

I have to ask, what effect/device softly broke 2x while rising to a waterfall parachute combo starting at the 7:02 mark and drifting left on screen until the 7:43 mark?
    6" Lidu Waterfall Parachute shells with 3 rising effects courtesy of Bill (pyroxtreme).

He used these shells in his St. Louis display last fall and I fell in love with them. I was talking to Bill about them and he offered to donate (4) of them he had left to my display. Great guy to say the least.
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member

Tim, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this to you yet, but as a guy that was also sitting front row and dead center I can tell you that you literaly made the sky cry..... I could see stars in the sky through the smoke, and yet i was getting drops of rain falling on me. Simply amazing.

For the folks that didnt get to see this in person this video is like a flake on your shoulder. I pity the fool that missed this show.

The only flaw of all of MAFF was the audio setup. I was in the first row right behind the caution tape and the audio was so low I couldnt make out what was going on with it. IMO audio emotion is much stronger that visual emotion for something like this. Many of these guys, and expecialy Tim have an amazing ability to use their visual presentation with audio to draw very strong emotions out of people. This is a gift. I know the first time I saw a video of Tims april 2011 show my heart sank into my stomach it was so good. Im not sure if it was just a lack of knowing how to properly use the equipment since the sound guy wasnt there, or the equipment simply wasnt powerful enough. I cant tell since this was my First MAFF. The best thing I did all show was park my butt in from of the speaker near the audio booth for the last show. It completely changed everything and I was in total awe with the powerful music and video effect.

If I could have heard the music to Tim's show I would have probably cried. It was that good!

Im not sure if it was just a lack of knowing how to properly use the equipment since the sound guy wasnt there, or the equipment simply wasnt powerful enough
    I can assure you it wasn't the lack of knowing, several guys busted their humps getting what they could out of the speakers, they just didn't have enough ass to get the job done. You are 100% spot on though, it's the audio and the visual together which make the production, without one, the other looks lost.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, it's really humbling to read the nice things everyone has to say about the show. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have been truly blessed to have had the opportunity to surround myself and meet some of the best in the business over the last few years and I've done the best I can to learn everything possible from them.
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member

Me and my buddy were in the front row. We really, really liked this show, Tim.

Big, big props man.
    Neopg
    PGI

Visit www.StarFireSales.com

Tim, that show was the sickness! Im so so glad i was able to make it down for that (thanks pyroextreme for the lift) i had a phenominal time at my first MAFF and will certainly be back for many more!
    CDL-B w/ HAZ-MAT

Nice show! In the setup video it looks like there are a lot of Monster cakes. Starting around 5:00 are those all Monster White Strobes or bigger shells for the next 45 seconds?

Absolutely amazing!!! I remember sitting there watching the simulation on Finale and I was speechless, I knew this was going to be a spectacle not soon forgotten. Great job Bro!!!
    Ladies and Gentlemen
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by matttmatttmattt View Post
    Nice show! In the setup video it looks like there are a lot of Monster cakes. Starting around 5:00 are those all Monster White Strobes or bigger shells for the next 45 seconds?
    Monster Strobe is kick ass, but not quite that They were 5" Yung Feng White Strobe Peony until the final shot of the segment where I added Monster strobe shots underneath.
    NLPC President
    Member Team Dominator
    PGI Member
    PA Pyro Artists Member

Quote Originally Posted by coachtimmyj View Post
    Monster Strobe is kick ass, but not quite that They were 5" Yung Feng White Strobe Peony until the final shot of the segment where I added Monster strobe shots underneath.
    Yeah it is a nice cake and I figured it couldn't be it, but then I didn't see any other white strobe in the show. It is hard to tell the depth on the video.

Tim, I love to soak in your work and I truly appreciate all of the time you've spent to put that together. It is this type of show that demonstrates the artistry involved with pyro. I only hope that I will get the opportunity to see your work in person in the future. Thanks for sharing and inspiring the rest of us! It was absolutely stunning! I loved what you did with the comets during minute 6 of the show especially the end of the 6 minute mark and 8-8:30. Awesome!

Coach Timmy:

Simply Said \/ \/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOMERUN.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	20789

Quote Originally Posted by Thanke View Post
    Tim, I love to soak in your work and I truly appreciate all of the time you've spent to put that together. It is this type of show that demonstrates the artistry involved with pyro. I only hope that I will get the opportunity to see your work in person in the future. Thanks for sharing and inspiring the rest of us! It was absolutely stunning! I loved what you did with the comets during minute 6 of the show especially the end of the 6 minute mark and 8-8:30. Awesome!
    If everything works out you'll get your chance in September!
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

Quote Originally Posted by coachtimmyj View Post
    Some salesman you are!
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com