Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Orbiter Girandola

Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array

Default Re: American Orbiter Girandola

Quote Originally Posted by skid_68 View Post
    This was the first one that didn't try and take off SLAP's head.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI11P...ature=youtu.be
    And the headhunting one...

These things were AWESOME!!! Even my wife thought so and has no problems me spending some money if I find some. We have a 'DolaFloat in design stages right now for launching from the water. From what I witnessed this weekend, these particular 'dola's unpredictability is largely due to their launching platform/pin. It seems to me that if you were make your "pin" much longer (2' or so) and drill a hole completely through 'dola's frame so it will fit over the pin this would help. By being able to slide the 'dola completely over and down the guide pin we have now given the 'dola plenty of trajectory "guidance" by the time it is rotating fast enough to remain stable in it's flight path. Just a few thoughts...
    "Men don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

I was thinking the same thing... but worried that "messing" with it would only create more problems.

I couldn't even find the base after the first one... took us almost 5 minutes to locate it. You could see a perfect black burn mark from where it had launched, but the stand was almost 3-4 feet away from that. Strange...

I tried to stomp the stand further into the ground on the second one, but that one was even more erratic.

Not sure when I'll see you again, but I'll put some aside for you if you want... just let me know.
    Last edited by ddewees; April 28th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAP View Post
    I couldn't even find the base after the first one... took us almost 5 minutes to locate it. You could see a perfect black burn mark from where it had launched, but the stand was almost 3-4 feet away from that. Strange...
    The problem with erratic launches really is the poor engineering of the base. As you can see in the photo's in the first post, the bottom of the rocket motors are about a half inch above the metal feet. Because the launch rod is so short, the dola wheel often wobbles before it get's the speed to lift and then it catches on it's own launching base. I'm sure that's why you found the base knocked several feet away.

Member Array

The "American Orbiter" is a well made girandola. The base is very sturdy. I have fired off about 2 dozen of them and never had 1 take off at an angle other then straight up. I always secure the base to a board somehow or use a piece of metal rod pushed into an adequate sized drilled hole. But I've never had one fly "outta control".

Quote Originally Posted by Ribrown View Post
    The "American Orbiter" is a well made girondola.... I always secure the base to a board somehow or use a piece of metal rod pushed into an adequate sized drilled hole. But I've never had one fly "outta control".
    That's all well and good, but there are a number of very experienced users here (including myself), that have witnessed first hand, how erratic and unreliable this particular girondola can be. The average seasonal buyer out there would have no clue as to the need to modify the launch base by securing it to a board, or constructing a different type of launch rod as you described. I'm a bit curious here; If think it's well made as is, and you've never had any problems with this brand of girondola, why did you feel the need make modifications by fastening the base to a board and constructing an entirely different launch rod ?

Did you see the various vids here, where the thing is taking off sideways ?
    Last edited by graybeard; April 28th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    That's all well and good, but there are a number of very experienced users here (including myself), that have witnessed first hand, how erratic and unreliable this particular girondola can be. The average seasonal buyer out there would have no clue as to the need to modify the launch base by securing it to a board, or constructing a different type of launch rod as you described. I'm a bit curious here; If think it's well made as is, and you've never had any problems with this brand of girondola, why did you feel the need make modifications by fastening the base to a board and constructing an entirely different launch rod ?

Did you see the various vids here, where the thing is taking off sideways ?

W-T-F are you talking about Gray? I secure "Everything" i shoot to boards and E-Fire it all as many of us do when we put on shows. Not only have I shot off many American Orbiters, but I've also witnessed many others go off by others.

It's "MY" humble opinion that the AO is a good piece and not some cheesy little homemade Girandola. If you don't agree, then that's your problem. What do you want me to say, "Oh you're right Gray, The American Orbiter really does suck. No one should ever use it".

The directions for using any firework are always printed on the box and I'm sure anyone using this forum is not an "Average Seasonal Buyer".

Quote Originally Posted by Ribrown View Post
    I secure "Everything" i shoot to boards and E-Fire it all as many of us do when we put on shows.
    Cool, so what? I hand lit my dolas in the past, same with the AO.
    Stop the bashing and listen to everyone else that may have a lot of experience with them. Again, they won't all fly straight...

Not only have I shot off many American Orbiters, but I've also witnessed many others go off by others. It's "MY" humble opinion that the AO is a good piece and not some cheesy little homemade Girandola.
    It seems like you may have only shot off one of the versions of American Orbiters. Yes, one has a better structure/base, however that one costs more and IMO was not the one mentioned above. Perhaps a PM is all you need to send and many will be willing to show you all versions, but not when you appear "high and mighty." Lets cut the crap and focus again on the OP and other stories/vids people posted to share with others. I think this thread paints a good picture and message to many.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hooked_on_pyro View Post
    Cool, so what? I hand lit my dolas in the past, same with the AO.
    Stop the bashing and listen to everyone else that may have a lot of experience with them. Again, they won't all fly straight...

It seems like you may have only shot off one of the versions of American Orbiters. Yes, one has a better structure/base, however that one costs more and IMO was not the one mentioned above. Perhaps a PM is all you need to send and many will be willing to show you all versions, but not when you appear "high and mighty." Lets cut the crap and focus again on the OP and other stories/vids people posted to share with others. I think this thread paints a good picture and message to many.
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here. The guy asked me a question about why I secure the base of the thing and I answered him. How does that make me seem "High and Mighty" Mr. Fireworks Genius? Maybe you should stop the bashing and focus on the OP. Since when am I not allowed to express my opinion about a firework in question. If you disagree with my opinion, then great! Express your own!

woohoo, pyro fight!

relax boys, it's not that serious.
    Last edited by coachtimmyj; April 30th, 2012 at 04:01 AM.

I did not see any around this year, and I have only shot off two, but they both went fairly straight up.

Member Array

what was the one pyro predater made it had a small one in it

Quote Originally Posted by pyrohead View Post
    what was the one pyro predater made it had a small one in it
    You mean this one?

Last I heard, those were delayed... containers aren't supposed to arrive until late fall/early spring.

I have only one left... but there should be some around. They are very nice...

Delayed? I was under the impresion the CPSC removed all girandolas from the 1.4 catagory this year. But maybee (and hopefully) I was misinformed.
    Last edited by moparman; July 14th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Sweet...

Who knows... I probably just made it up.

Quote Originally Posted by moparman View Post
    Delayed? I was under the impresion the CPSC removed all girandolas from the 1.4 catagory this year. But maybee (and hopefully) I was misinformed.
    any word on whether this happened or not?