Thread: Major issues with e-made boards

Default Major issues with e-made boards

ok a month or so back I received 3 of the 8m4l boards from another member to expand my systems after encoding all of them, they will not function with the older remote only the new remote, and vice versa, old boards will not communicate with new remote(new remote was encoded for testing the regular remote is computer controlled now) the creates a massive problem, has anyone seen this issue? I did not think there were any differences in the ook boards and remotes to cause this problem? I double checked ALL the encoding and it is correct.

Ok looking at every detail of the boards, I found 1 resistor different. Right above encoding pins 3 and 4 is a resistor (it is labeled R1 and is next to the "VR" printed on the board) the old boards have a resistor value of "204" the newer ones say "824". This is linked to the encoding chip I have a feeling that this plays a part in it, if it does I am screwed, with a show in three weeks I now have 128 less cues. I was all ready to install the boards and do final testing today.
    Last edited by JoeRatman; April 7th, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Merge sequential posts

Default Re: Major issues with e-made boards

I have boards I can send you if that helps. I don't know if these would be the new or old ones, but if you need to use them, your are welcome to. I have 4 of them. I also have a desktop I made with selectable encoding if that would help. Let me know if you need anything.
    This is the greatest Country on earthLets celebrate!!
    Illinois explosives license
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

Thanks Catfish, is there anyway you could look at the board and see the resistor I am describing? Although I am not 100% sure this is the issue I looked up the data sheet for the decoder and they are osc pins 1 and 2, these (according to the data sheet) are the fundamental frequency of PT2272 chip. So I am almost certain this is the issue.

"824". Also, like I said, I have the remote reboxed already with selectable encoding if that would help too. Let me know. I may have 5 boards, gotta double check, but 4 for sure.
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

I would like to hear what Stephen has to say, but just in case are you willing to trade? I have 4 older boards and 1 remote, I would not need the control desk as mine are hard encoded and simply turned on by 1 channel boards from e-made (another issue earlier) and all computer controlled.

I don't really want to trade as those boards would not work with my already re-boxed remote. Maybe stephen can shed some light on this for you.
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

Thats cool, I just don't have alot of spare cash, and my oldest duaghter had a car wreck last night and thats more fuel to the fire, where's the smiley face with a gun to the head when you need it.

What frequency? You double checked, made sure they sent you the correct frequency?
    Every ook board I have in the pile has the "824".

I have 6 boards here and they are all 824, i got half of them a year ago and the other half over last 2 months.
    Celetial Displays - TX SEO & FPO Licensed Shooter
    Cobra® Show Creator - Developer

433 mhz, I got 2 working, I switched out the 824 chip resistor with some "204" ones from one leftover single channels boards and that solved it, so tonight I will get the third working. I bought the first 4 boards in 2008/2009. these I am assuming were made in 2011. so keep that in mind.

I'd take the first boards and change the resistor to 824. I have receivers ranging from 2005 to 2010 and all are 824. I guess it doesn't take much to switch them out, as long as you get them working for your use, that's what's important.

That interesting Dewey, I guess I got some oddballs?, either way the extra "204" resistors were on the single channel boards I will not be using at the moment, and trying to find the right resistors looks like a job unto itself, I searched mouser and digikey but many had different spec sheets, so without knowing exactly which ones to get, I decided to experiment, and they work now. Learn something new everyday. I am still curious what Stephen has to say.

I'm glad you got em working.
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

All my boards have 824 resistors.

The pins you refer to are the OSC1 (pin 15) and OSC2 (pin 16) pins on the decoder chip on the receiver. There are similar pins on the encoder chip in the transmitter. Here is the documentation I have on those pins.

A resistor connected between these two pins determine the fundamental frequency
    of the PT2264.

The resistor sets the Oscillating Clock Period. There are 32 clock periods per bit. A bit can be 0, 1 or Floating.

In effect this sets the baud rate that the transmitter sends at and what the receiver receives at.

The built–in oscillator circuitry of PT2264 (transmitter) allows a precision oscillator to be constructed by connecting an external resistor between OSC1 and OSC2 pins. For PT2294 (receiver) to decode correctly the received waveform, the oscillator frequency of PT2294 must be 2.5 ~ 8 times that of transmitting PT2264. The typical oscillator with various resistor values are shown below for PT2264 and PT2294.
    Last edited by JoeRatman; April 7th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Thanks Joe, wow I guess somehow I ended up with the most unique boards here. So far almost everyone has the 824 resistors and no 204 ones so far. I am wondering if I just got some oddball ones of the line or if there are more floating around out there. If there are I can tell you this, someone not as determined as I was to try and figure out the issues would pull there hair out (At one point I was close, hence the OP) I sucks that I had to hack up my single channels boards to get the 12 channels ones to work, I was going to use them later for another project, but this project was more important right now.If I had not looked into this, this thread would have gone nowhere fast.

Hello Firejunkie!
    It is due to that the value of the oscillating resistor of the receiver was not matchable with the transmitter. 204 means the value is 200K ohm, 824 means 820K. If you want the new receiver to work with the old transmitter, just use a 200K resistor to replace the 824 resistor. Also you can have both new transmitter and receiver work with old transmitter and receiver, you just need to replace the oscillating resistors of new transmitter and new receiver, they should be 1.2M and 200K respectively.
    Best regards,
    Stephen

Thanks Stephen That's what I did, I think my biggest question Is how come this happened? It seems as though everyone here has the resistor value 820k "824" and I seem to be the only one with oddball boards, they are stamped with a date code of 07/10/18, they are version 1.0, and have another code of 0848 stamped on them. If I bought any more boards I would have to switch out new resistor with old, or I will have to buy 820k resistors and install myself, very challenging for surface mount resistor with tweezers. and now I have 3 RR! boards that are inoperable so I could get my show in the air. I don't think I have ever seen this issue before here, and it seems as if I am the lucky one.

Quote Originally Posted by Firejunkie View Post
    Thanks Stephen That's what I did, I think my biggest question Is how come this happened? It seems as though everyone here has the resistor value 820k "824" and I seem to be the only one with oddball boards, they are stamped with a date code of 07/10/18, they are version 1.0, and have another code of 0848 stamped on them. If I bought any more boards I would have to switch out new resistor with old, or I will have to buy 820k resistors and install myself, very challenging for surface mount resistor with tweezers. and now I have 3 RR! boards that are inoperable so I could get my show in the air. I don't think I have ever seen this issue before here, and it seems as if I am the lucky one.
    Hello Firejunkie,
    The old board was manufactured in 2007. It should be the beginning we sold the RR12-8M4L board, and then later we changed the parameters. If you need the old parameters for future order, you can indicate the requirement, we will have the coming board work as your old boards.

Best regards,

Stephen

Will the new learning boards be able fully learn the encoding plus the fundamental frequency for the OSC pins? That would be wonderful if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Firejunkie View Post
    Will the new learning boards be able fully learn the encoding plus the fundamental frequency for the OSC pins? That would be wonderful if they did.
    Hello Firejunkie! The new board RR12-CONF works with new transmitter but not works with the old one. If you need it work with the old one, please send the requirement when you make an order.

Best regards,

Stephen