Thread: WTB : Unwanted mortar kit tubes for poor man's racks

Default WTB : Unwanted mortar kit tubes for poor man's racks

If you have any unwanted kit tubes that we can use for some poor-man's racks here please let me know.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Men don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

Default Re: WTB : Unwanted mortar kit tubes for poor man's racks

I have a good number of 1 3/4” cardboard tubes in storage. The only problem is I don’t think you would want to pay the shipping. If you get to the St. Louis area though I would be glad to give to you. You may want to check out the cost of tubes. I was going to build a poor man’s rack but just decided to go ahead spend the money and built a real set up. Now I don’t have to worry about the tubes getting old or wet.
    If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Light up the sky! Array PYROBOOM's Avatar

Chuck, you need some tubes? How about a dozen new DR11 12" HDPE tubes to get you started? 100% Free. Just send me a PM with your complete shipping address.
    PGI Member PYROBOOM, LLC

Wow great offer. I have a bunch of cardboard tubes also that I would give you if you're ever driving down i80 through Nebraska
    Burning Plains Pyros

Johnnyg1200 - Yeah when I had posted this I hadn't realized how small the USPS pre-paid "large" box was. I had pretty much forgotten about this posting really. But I agree, for paper tubes I just cannot see the expense. On the other hand, if someone's got say 20 Excal tubes and I can get them to my door for $20-$30 or so then I'm ok with that.

pyromike - Whereabouts are you on I-80? I have friends and family that are up and down that ribbon on a semi-regular occasion.

epyro - Thanks for the offer, PM sent.

pepsi pyro - Thanks for the tubes today bud. The 11-yr old and I sorted them tonight and we will be making some sawdust tomorrow. His eyes light up even just sorting them. Plus he knows since they are paper, we'll use them once...then they go in the firepit, a WIN-WIN as far as he is concerned LOL

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by ratrodford View Post
    good post eric.
    everyone knows I despise poor man's racks. this is pyrouniverse. there should be no reason IMO to utilize one
    I can just hear some guy on the staff at Hot Rod sayin' something like this. "eveyone knows I despise rat-rods. This is HOT-ROD MAGAZINE. Why would we ever feature one of these."

especially if you have to solicit free tubes. Now, if you have a shitload leftover from kits, and want to put them to good use before destroying, go ahead, if not then there's gotta be a better way to spend your time and resources.
    I don't recall having solicited anyone for free tubes. However, I have over time received what my wife considers a shitload of them from folks who have offered them to me for free. Generally speaking, my youngest son and I sort them, inspect them, make racks out them, he uses them to play army with him and his friends, etc. Once they have been used, been rained on, etc...when we have a fire, they all get burned, yet more time and fun for us together. I cannot think of a better return for my time and resources. On the other hand, someone just throwing shitload of them in the trash having never utilized them for anything....now that's a complete waste of resources for sure if you were to ask me.

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Chuck View Post
    pepsi pyro - Thanks for the tubes today bud. The 11-yr old and I sorted them tonight and we will be making some sawdust tomorrow. His eyes light up even just sorting them. Plus he knows since they are paper, we'll use them once...then they go in the firepit, a WIN-WIN as far as he is concerned LOL
    Your very welcome chuck. Glad you could use them for something.

Looks like you received the RatRod stamp of approval! FORWARD MARCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    Looks like you received the RatRod stamp of approval! FORWARD MARCH!
    !!!WOOOHOOOO!!! Thank the PyroGods!!!

touche sir.
    Indeed sir.

Why so confused? Heck man, you even re-posted my OP and NOWHERE does it ask for free tubes. The Thread title I might also point out starts with WTB.....not WFF. If I were to come on here and post that I was "looking for unwanted/unused Ruger 10/22 parts and accessories please PM me", does that mean I am soliciting for free stuff? No sir, it does not. It simply means, just as my OP did, PM me with what you have and we can go from there with prices, shipping, etc.

well maybe I read your post wrong. Now you don't want to make poor mans rack, you want to let your son play army with them. ok!
    I don't think you read them wrong at all, I simply think you need to stop reading stuff in to them that doesn't exist. For instance, never once did say I didn't want to make a poor man's rack and that they are only for son's army fun. I was simply throwing out some more uses for them rather than just throwing them away.

do what you want- I'm just sayin in the long run my time is better spent making a glass or hdpe rack I can reuse, than making a cardboard poor mans multiple times. Plus, depending on how you make it, is it really gonna contain a blast "should" a shell go bad? I think anyone who has been around pyro u long enough, should know better than to build poor man racks, MCRs, and the like. There is enough around here to offer help if you need it. I'm sure you and you son have a blast together. carry on.
    I know of several knowledged, skilled, and experienced pyros on and of PyroU here that feel the same way I do...a poor man's rack "can" be as safe as a "regular" rack if made correctly, and possibly safer mainly due to the spacing involved via the bases. Hell I have seen a few PMR's that I would trust long before many of some of the regular racks I have seen and heard of. When building whatever version that you prefer, safety can be factored and built right in. As far as the MCR's go...agreed.

To tie up the loose ends here I will again say that spending a few hours each year with my boys and getting them to learn and practice with math, tools and tool safety, pyro safety concerns, etc is a great time, and one I look forward to each year. It costs me next to nothing, literally as I have what seems to be an endless supply of scrap lumber and screws, and thanks to my fellow PyroU friends tubes come in cheap (and yes, sometimes free I apologize) every year Carry on we shall

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

Member Array NW Fireworks Lover's Avatar

You can make regular racks and fill with quality cardboard tubes with the bases cut off and at a later time you can replace with glass or hdpe tubes too.
    Last edited by NW Fireworks Lover; April 16th, 2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spalling
    "I am so smart, s-m-r-t, I am so smart" -Homer Simpson

Member Northwest Pyrotechnics Association

Thunderstruck Array jonkelley82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NW Fireworks Lover View Post
    You can make regular rakcs and fill with quality cardboard tubes with the bases cut off and at a later time you can replace with glass or hdpe tubes too.
    You beat me to the punch, I was going to say the same exact thing. We have at least a dozen racks with cardboard mortars in them right now. Despite someone despising a "poor-man's" rack - What the hell is so wrong with them anyway? It's more secure than "Place on hard & level surface. Light fuse and get away." They can't tip over, sure they can blow out and you might have some excitement on your hands if one or two come lose, but they are individually secured. (better than a blow out in a "real" rack with dimensional lumber and no spacers) After all, we are talking about 1.75" shells here, (preferably with adequate safety distances) not 5" ultra salutes.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. I don't know if less is more, but I am constantly trying to do more with less!

Our 2012 Finale - Our 2011 Finale - Our 2010 Finale

As long as it has a clay plug, and not just pins holding the plastic on, you can just hold it upside down, put a corner on your workbench, and then whack it right in the center of the base with a hammer, and the plastic around the tube will break off. You can get through the pretty quickly that way.
    PGI Member
    HPA Member

Plus, depending on how you make it, is it really gonna contain a blast "should" a shell go bad? I think anyone who has been around pyro u long enough, should know better than to build poor man racks, MCRs, and the like. There is enough knowledged, skilled, and experienced pyros around here to offer help if you need it. I'm sure you and you son have a blast together. carry on.
    I guess you've never been around any pro displays before. If you were, you'd notice a number of cardboard tubes. Many of the cardboard tubes in kits have a heavy wall (1/4") and, if treated properly, will give you years of service free use. Furthermore, YOU should know that the goal is not to "contain" a blast but to diffuse the energy of the blast. A cardboard gun, when it fails, is very safe. No shrapnel and the stars don't travel too far - the pyro still needs to be aware of the risk and cover up important areas against the danger of burning stars, but the liklihood of serious injury is small. HDPE and fiberglass are just waterproof versions of cardboard. If you want to contain the blast, you want steel mortars but then you run the risk of a fatigue failure and lots of shrapnel. A well built, spaced "poor man" rack will out perform some of the crap I see here that has glass guns in it.

If Chuck has fun building his poor man racks, good for him. Personally, I don't have time to make new sets of racks every year, but I do use the carboard guns in my kits to build additional poor mans to augment my 250 HDPE guns and 72 glass guns.

PyroChuck Check out my thread on preserving cardboard tubes. The process makes the tubes impervious to water, which is the issue with the longevity of cardboard. The gun powder residue is hygroscopic and absorbs water, which in turn disolves the glue and causes the tubes to peel. Treat the inside and then paint the outside or coat in mineral oil and lamp black, etc.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...cardboard+guns
    BATFE Type 54 Licensee

Thunderstruck Array jonkelley82's Avatar

Also FYI (for your information) The thread title clearly states "WTB" = Where To Buy. Doesn't sound much like "Soliciting free tubes". Now I will give you your two back, as there should no longer be any confusion about that matter.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. I don't know if less is more, but I am constantly trying to do more with less!

Our 2012 Finale - Our 2011 Finale - Our 2010 Finale

As others have said, properly built, PMR's can be safer than many of the regular racks we build; mainly because they have a lot of space built in to the design.

Furthermore, cardboard PMRs certainly need not be one-and-done deals. If they are not abused, and left out in the weather, they can be good for many year's use. Remember that the tubes are built to withstand much more than the 6 or 12 shells in the typical kit.

Not only that, but there are several instances where I prefer my PMRs. When I shoot slow segments of my shows with shells over 200g's the extra distance between the tubes actually makes fusing easier, and more reliable than in standard racks.

I donated a couple big boxes of cardboard tubes to two different members last year. The shipping wasn't too bad. If I remember correctly, it was about $15 to ship 40 or so tubes.
    if you trust in yourself...
    and believe in your dreams...
    and follow your star...
    you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

KCAP Charter Member Array mattrod's Avatar

I rescind my remarks, apologies to the OP for hijacking.
    KCAP Board Member/PGI/MAPAG/MAFF
    Cobra18R-Pyromate P45
    youtube.com/ratrodford
    BATFE TYPE 54 - MO/KS DISPLAY OPERATOR

It's all good ratrodford, thanks for caring enough about our safety and being enthused enough about pyro for being here brother

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

Well Chuck, I have some I would let go. I also have a boat load of 1.5" HDPE unplugged tubes I would gladly let go for the price of shipping to anyone who might want them. All it takes is a PM.
    Maranatha!

PGI Member

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Well Chuck, I have some I would let go. I also have a boat load of 1.5" HDPE unplugged tubes I would gladly let go for the price of shipping to anyone who might want them. All it takes is a PM.
    I will take them. Could you bring them to one of our shoots?
    Midwest Fireworks Festival
    Proud to be a Heartland member
    PGI member
    http://www.heartlandpyro.org/
    Type 20

What would be the shipping cost to 98107

Rep to Ratrod and Chuck for being such gentlemen. Ratrod does have a good point about the investment of time and the importance of safety. If you do build a pmr, make sure you put some thought into it.

^^^There I go again. I always sound like a pompous bastard. It's really not my intention.
    Last edited by Fasttrack; April 17th, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Hrumph
    BATFE Type 54 Licensee

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    Rep to Ratrod and Chuck for being such gentlemen. Ratrod does have a good point about the investment of time and the importance of safety.
    I would agree about the importance of safety; however, on the investment of time, I have explained that in my particular case it's no biggie, which negates it's importance here in my thread LOLOL

If you do build a pmr, make sure you put some thought into it.
    If you don't mind Fasttrack, I think it's simply best put like this...
    If you do build a mortar rack of any kind, make sure you put some thought into it.
    Sorry folks just havin' fun at this point Yeah see, who's the pompous arse now see

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

I was just tryin' to extend a hand to Ratrod and here Chuck goes ripping my post apart. I see how it is. I'm getting my ball and going home.

j/k
    BATFE Type 54 Licensee

LOL thanks Fast, it's all good up here in the pyro hood

"THE" Fireworks Song
    Nearly Naked Fireworks

KCAP Charter Member Array mattrod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    I was just tryin' to extend a hand to Ratrod and here Chuck goes ripping my post apart. I see how it is. I'm getting my ball and going home. j/k
    Hey leave me outta this! I made my peace with Chuck.
    KCAP Board Member/PGI/MAPAG/MAFF
    Cobra18R-Pyromate P45
    youtube.com/ratrodford
    BATFE TYPE 54 - MO/KS DISPLAY OPERATOR