Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 451

Thread: wacky tabacky

  1. #31
    Member Array sparkdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PA.
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    i'm relatively still a pyro. newbie but, ... that sure looks like 1.3 to me ... i do however, like this in any case ... brothers in general seems to put out very solid pyro .

  2. #32
    Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    How do we explain the extra shots?

    Is it possible that it won't even resemble the video at all. I mean, just the finale part of it doesn't make any sense at all. I think I counted 5 shots in the finale alone (maybe 4).

  3. #33
    Member Array mgh1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in a shack down by the river
    Posts
    1,819

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkdog View Post
    i'm relatively still a pyro. newbie but, ... that sure looks like 1.3 to me ... i do however, like this in any case ... brothers in general seems to put out very solid pyro .
    They do, you just have to be careful with their demo vids, as well as the demo vids of other companies when the product is shot in China. There are countless times where you look at the product that comes stateside, and it is no where near what it was in China, and I know of a few instances where the demo vid of Brother's cakes that go to europe is used by vendors to sell their product. With technology where it is now, lots of stands and stores put a small TV by their product and loop demo vids from China. To the unknowing consumer, who makes up the majority of the pyro consuming public, grab what looks good on vid. Take it home, shoot it on your Fourth of July backyard, it doesn't look the same. What is one to do? Return it? Probably not.

    Many on here assume that we are the prime consumers of pyro in this country, honestly, we consume alot, but the major consumer of pyro during the Fourth of July are people who only think about pyro maybe twice a year (once to purchase it, the other time when they're shooting it). These people will buy what ever they think is good, and will usually pay hefty prices for their works. Why? well, I tend to think there is a little one up manship out there. You always want to have the best fireworks on the block, period.

    For me, I heavily rely on word of mouth, and on occasion, I will take a chance on a cake, which turns golden. I would say a little over half of my favorite 1.4 cakes out there, don't have widely circulated demo vids out there, if there was, that would be the end of that cake.
    -PGI member
    -HPA member
    -peace through superior firepower
    -crack doesn't smoke itself

  4. #34
    Member Array FireBug270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    1,417

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    I agree with your last statement 100% Now if some guys on here and in general would learn to keep their mouths shut or learn that not everything needs to be posted on youtube, we would still have some better options out there.

  5. #35
    Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northeast
    Posts
    2,921

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    It doesnt really look like 1.3 either. the height and burn time are much shorter. its very nice 1.4.
    NHPA www.nhpyro.org

    To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true. -aristotle

  6. #36
    Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Youtube is a great tool... most people on here won't buy something unless they can see it first (or has a positive review from a trusted source).

    I just wish that they would have made the videos private... and shared them the correct way.


    I'm obviously new here, but just in the past few days I've seen "set up" pictures on this forum that are littered with OL's. Awesome product, but I don't see the need to advertise them.

  7. #37

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    This cake is getting too publicized.

  8. #38
    Member Array St1dinoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    toledo, ohio
    Posts
    9,438

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by r1dermon View Post
    It doesnt really look like 1.3 either. the height and burn time are much shorter. its very nice 1.4.
    couldn't agree more. just as nobody should assume that every video they see is exactly the way it will come in, nobody should assume that every china video they see is inaccurate or misleading.

    in fact, damn near every "china vid" is exactly what we get, the problem is people spend a lot of time on this forum making a lot of noise about the few times over the years where things don't look identical to the china vid... so the end result is a bunch of paranoid people have an uninformed/misled view on the subject.

    all i know is there is a damn fine looking single effect NOAB coming to the states this year, and half the people on this site are already saying it's fake and bullsh*t.

    when you hear how nice it looked at the demo, and come to the shop looking to buy them and they are sold out, you'll have no one to blame but yourself and the negative nancy's who constantly poopoo any and all "china vids" they see.

    everyone orders from china vids... so think of all the product you shoot and love, and remember that all of it was sent our way based on china videos.
    www.millerfireworks.com

    PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

  9. #39
    Member Array mgh1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in a shack down by the river
    Posts
    1,819

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by SLAP View Post
    Youtube is a great tool... most people on here won't buy something unless they can see it first (or has a positive review from a trusted source).

    I just wish that they would have made the videos private... and shared them the correct way.


    I'm obviously new here, but just in the past few days I've seen "set up" pictures on this forum that are littered with OL's. Awesome product, but I don't see the need to advertise them.
    you are new, but wise in so many ways!
    -PGI member
    -HPA member
    -peace through superior firepower
    -crack doesn't smoke itself

  10. #40
    Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by mgh1980 View Post
    you are new, but wise in so many ways!
    heh... Not wise, just frustrated like so many others.

  11. #41

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by St1dinoh View Post
    everyone orders from china vids... so think of all the product you shoot and love, and remember that all of it was sent our way based on china videos.
    With the relative cost of a NOAB .v. any other cake type, it's understandable to be questioning. There are ppl on this board who would feel bad about buying a crappy 200G cake. At least with just about any 200g, you could throw up 1/2 or all the case and have a somewhat decent segment. When you drop 2-3 times the cost of your typical 500G, it just plain sucks more. We all have budgets to literally set on fire, when a bigger portion of it goes to crap, it sucks.

    What happens w/ a lot of "china videos" is they are used in the retail shops more and more. And while the FIRST year of the cake may be damn nice, the subsequent years just don't measure up. Sure, they are pretty nice, but not as nice. I can easily name 10 500G cakes which were stellar their first year and slowly got "worse". Our OCD and die-hardness of being pyro-hobbyists mean we aim to get that great first year product for our stashes.

    That being said, I'm a cheap bastard. I am OK w/ missing out on a few items b/c I don't trust video XYZ. That said, I am a member of a local guild and attend shoots, so I don't necessarily have to wait until demos and them being sold out to obtain them So, <shameless plug coming> by joining a local guild you can get the skinny on some incoming product. Hell, join PGI and and participate in pyro heaven every year!!!
    -2 cents

  12. #42
    Member Array St1dinoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    toledo, ohio
    Posts
    9,438

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
    With the relative cost of a NOAB .v. any other cake type, it's understandable to be questioning. There are ppl on this board who would feel bad about buying a crappy 200G cake. At least with just about any 200g, you could throw up 1/2 or all the case and have a somewhat decent segment. When you drop 2-3 times the cost of your typical 500G, it just plain sucks more. We all have budgets to literally set on fire, when a bigger portion of it goes to crap, it sucks.

    What happens w/ a lot of "china videos" is they are used in the retail shops more and more. And while the FIRST year of the cake may be damn nice, the subsequent years just don't measure up. Sure, they are pretty nice, but not as nice. I can easily name 10 500G cakes which were stellar their first year and slowly got "worse". Our OCD and die-hardness of being pyro-hobbyists mean we aim to get that great first year product for our stashes.

    That being said, I'm a cheap bastard. I am OK w/ missing out on a few items b/c I don't trust video XYZ. That said, I am a member of a local guild and attend shoots, so I don't necessarily have to wait until demos and them being sold out to obtain them So, <shameless plug coming> by joining a local guild you can get the skinny on some incoming product. Hell, join PGI and and participate in pyro heaven every year!!!
    yeah, i understand all of that, doesn't change the fact that chinavidaphobia is just silly.

    when someone asks me for a recommendation, and i say "i like this cake" and then they want to watch the video, and then they won't buy it because it's a "china vid"...

    yeah, thats just silly to me.

    like i said, almost everything you have ever shot gets ordered from china vids, but you don't see people bitching about every single cake in existence, they are bitching over and over again about a dozen or so instances over the last decade.

    yet if you ask some people here, anything with a china vid is some sort of scam and they won't buy it.

    lol

    the whole thing just makes me laugh.

    i understand there have been instances in the past, but people only remember the exceptions to the rule, and seem to ignore the rule.

    yes, it's possible you can get struck by lightning, that doesn't mean you should never walk outside.

    the biggest thing i worry about in a "china vid" is if the cake or item will shoo tthe effects in the order i see them on the vid. in a multi effect cake, that is a concern, in a single effect cake... yeah... silly.
    Last edited by St1dinoh; March 14th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
    www.millerfireworks.com

    PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

  13. #43
    Member Array floridapyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    1,309

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Well China video or not if it gets close to me I'm buying it.
    Member CFP

  14. #44
    Member Array maltapyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    308

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    ATF sells wacky tabacky they are down in kentucky

  15. #45
    Member Array pyropeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    indy-west
    Posts
    1,778

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by St1dinoh View Post
    when someone asks me for a recommendation, and i say "i like this cake" and then they want to watch the video, and then they won't buy it because it's a "china vid"...
    Stoney when you say "I like this cake" and recommend it to someone have you seen it in person, or are you recommending it just from video...I might buy something for myself from video, but would never recommend it to someone else unless I have witnessed it's performance myself. Videos(shot in China or stateside) can be misleading.
    MEMBER OF THE P.G.I.
    MEMBER OF HPA
    HPA 1%ER
    ORIGINAL "RED SOLO CUP CREW" MEMBER....
    SUPPORT THE 2nd AMENDMENT AND THE REST OF YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

  16. #46
    Member Array Catfish25p2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Where do you live?
    Posts
    1,829

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by SLAP View Post
    I'm obviously new here, but just in the past few days I've seen "set up" pictures on this forum that are littered with OL's. Awesome product, but I don't see the need to advertise them.
    I don't see the problem with this. Can you explain please? What is the harm in showing an OL in a "set up" video? All you are showing is the wrapper on the cake. I could see if someone is saying "this is the wrapper on cake X, now here is what it looks like", but I don't see the problem in showing a cake sitting on a board. If your not saying this cake is an OL, and here is what it looks like, then who cares. There is no difference between that and them sitting on a retail shelf, and there is no way to tell if is watered down or overloaded by looking at a wrapper.
    This is the greatest Country on earthLets celebrate!!
    Illinois explosives license
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

  17. #47

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish25p2000 View Post
    I don't see the problem with this. Can you explain please? What is the harm in showing an OL in a "set up" video? All you are showing is the wrapper on the cake. I could see if someone is saying "this is the wrapper on cake X, now here is what it looks like", but I don't see the problem in showing a cake sitting on a board. If your not saying this cake is an OL, and here is what it looks like, then who cares. There is no difference between that and them sitting on a retail shelf, and there is no way to tell if is watered down or overloaded by looking at a wrapper.
    Exactly. No one knows which one are spiced. Anyone can slap a new label on a cake.. What matters is what's on the inside

  18. #48

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Actually, a lot of posts about Brothers products, are that "I didn't like the cake in the video from the Brothers DVD, but when I saw it shot live I changed my mind about it."

    I'd take a chance on it. Brothers cakes are usually pretty good the first year. After that...
    Rudy


    Member of H.P.A.
    Member in good standing of Double D's PPP club

  19. #49
    Banned: AKA SLAP, UtahPyro Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish25p2000 View Post
    I don't see the problem with this. Can you explain please? What is the harm in showing an OL in a "set up" video? All you are showing is the wrapper on the cake. I could see if someone is saying "this is the wrapper on cake X, now here is what it looks like", but I don't see the problem in showing a cake sitting on a board. If your not saying this cake is an OL, and here is what it looks like, then who cares. There is no difference between that and them sitting on a retail shelf, and there is no way to tell if is watered down or overloaded by looking at a wrapper.
    I'll try to explain the way I see it...


    Generally, if someone here posts a thread about their setup... I usually go there looking for ideas. If it's a reputable member (such as yourself) I'm even more interested, since there is liable to be great ideas and great product. Someone who has been on this forum for 5 year, with 1000+ posts isn't likely to be buying the latest Phantom products.


    Now... don't get me wrong, this is how I go about it (maybe most people don't)... and I've found some real gems this way. But I assume most people do the same thing, and that leads to more individuals posting "Hey look at this" type Youtube Videos.


    So... I don't know if the problem is actually posting pictures of the OL items, or the fact that once you know the name of it, it's usually pretty easy to find a video of it online.

  20. #50
    Member Array ziptie2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mid Michigan
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    I saw this in setup's and thaught That's one hell of a NOAB!!!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pabst rack.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	20262
    Is there ever enough Pyro?

  21. #51
    Member Array sparkdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PA.
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    what is 'NOAB' ??? forgive me, i'm learning ...

  22. #52

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    I May have mentioned this on other posts, but speaking to John Mo at Brothers , this item might be in short supply this season due to the cold/rainy season in China. We ordered this item this past July and may see some in late April early May..


    We did shoot other samples and finished product from Brothers the past couple months and both samples and stock items compared equally...good solid performers.

    We did not have any Wacky Tobacky to shoot as a sample..wish we did...

  23. #53
    Member Array ziptie2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mid Michigan
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkdog View Post
    what is 'NOAB' ??? forgive me, i'm learning ...
    (nine on a board), but this would be a OTFOAB.
    Is there ever enough Pyro?

  24. #54
    Member Array floridapyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    1,309

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkdog View Post
    what is 'NOAB' ??? forgive me, i'm learning ...
    Not sure if your joking or not but here.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...ry-quot-thread
    Member CFP

  25. #55
    Member Array pyropeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    indy-west
    Posts
    1,778

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkdog View Post
    what is 'NOAB' ??? forgive me, i'm learning ...
    Nine (shots) on a board, but nowadays they might be 8, 6, 12, etc, etc.. consumerly speaking of coarse.
    MEMBER OF THE P.G.I.
    MEMBER OF HPA
    HPA 1%ER
    ORIGINAL "RED SOLO CUP CREW" MEMBER....
    SUPPORT THE 2nd AMENDMENT AND THE REST OF YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

  26. #56
    Member Array killer57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    saint louis, mo.
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    all i know is if their in when i go so76 demo i'm grabbing a few

  27. #57
    Geek, Pyro, Patriot Array BobThePyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Surveillance States of America
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Quote Originally Posted by SLAP View Post
    How do we explain the extra shots?

    Is it possible that it won't even resemble the video at all. I mean, just the finale part of it doesn't make any sense at all. I think I counted 5 shots in the finale alone (maybe 4).
    Applying Occam's Razor, it's most likely the reason for the extra shot is that the person who edited the video sucks at editing video.

    LOL also has editing so poor/obvious, it gives a pyro the heebie-jeebies.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/1222/Lol.wmv
    WARNING: May post before caffeine is installed.

    "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." - Derek Bok

    Last one to become a supporting member is a vegetarian!

  28. #58
    Thunderstruck Array jonkelley82's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    I ♥ NY
    Posts
    1,171

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    I'm going to throw my two cents in here. I bet it will be a NOAB, and a nice one at that. If I were to guess why there are "extra" shots in the video is simply bad video editing. More than likely they had something go wrong with the first cake they were trying to record and had to record a second one.
    Jack of all trades, master of none. I don't know if less is more, but I am constantly trying to do more with less!

    Our 2012 Finale - Our 2011 Finale - Our 2010 Finale

  29. #59
    Member Array FiveSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    477

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    Seriously, I know you guys all have great intentions and are just trying to type away until the product finds it's way into you local shop/wholesaler. Patience my friends, patience. Soon this thread will die when people start buying the product. Whether it's good or bad. Then eventually late July or early August this thread will be revived. One person will quote themselves and say "I told you so!" If gambling were legal I would figure out some odds and start taking bets. Oh well. That kind of gambling isn't legal and this product isn't here yet. sorry Just trying to take the seriousness out of the thread. It's 1 friggin cake!



  30. #60
    Geek, Pyro, Patriot Array BobThePyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Surveillance States of America
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: wacky tabacky

    ^^^^^^^^^

    Who was being serious? I certainly wasn't. The cake will either pass PyroU muster or it won't, just like every other cake on the market. It's nothing to have a brain hemmorage over.
    WARNING: May post before caffeine is installed.

    "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." - Derek Bok

    Last one to become a supporting member is a vegetarian!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •