Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many people ?

Default How many people ?

Is there anyone else out there like me that spends way more than they should every year on fireworks ? I go beyond my means but honestly its an addiction ! I can't help myself and if you left me alone at the wholesalers I would have to have money wired to me just for gas to get home ! Ok maybe not that bad but damn close .

It's definitely a problem in some peoples eyes . It all makes it worth it though when I look at those same people jaws dropped in aww at what's in the sky ! When they smile I smile . When it's all said and done I don't regret the decisions I made and look forward to making them again !

Funk

Default Re: How many people ?

Quote Originally Posted by Superbang View Post

It all makes it worth it though when I look at those same people jaws dropped in aww at what's in the sky ! When they smile I smile . When it's all said and done I don't regret the decisions I made and look forward to making them again !
    That's what it's all about, imo. I love fireworks, but I'd never spend this much on fireworks if I was the only who enjoyed them.

well if it something that you and enjoy and makes you happy..i see nothing wrong with spending your hard earned money on pyro..I spend at least 1k every year..which my freinds and fam think is crazy but I dont care because it makes me happy!
    You have to go through hell to get to heaven!

I to spend beyond my means. Of course i've never been real good at self control.

I definitely spend more than I should, but way less than I want. I shoot my July 4th show on my friend's property, and he was saying how this year he is going to start charging people to come watch so I don't "waste" all of that money . But whether or not 50 people see the show or just myself, I would still be spending the money, so I would never accept money for people to watch.
    KCAP, Charter Member, Board Member
    http://kcap.us/
    Safety glasses have prevented me from an eye injury. Never forget them!
    Cobra Firing Systems

Name a hobby (besides masturbation) that is not "expensive"

or

that someone else would not say "that is a waste of $$$"
    www.pyinthesky.com & www.i-match.us
    BATFE Licensed Mfg of Explosives
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

Member Array

There are millions of people out there who think we are idiots spending over $1000.00 just to watch it all go up in smoke and then turn around and spend twice that much a year on cigarettes. At least pyro doesn't cause cancer!

Member Array

Same situation here man. By no means is my budget huge, but I normally spend around $1k/year on pyro, and even though my girlfriend thinks I'm insane, the show is always a hit on the 4th and it's something that makes me happy so to me it's worth it. I tend to go for the cheaper stuff so I can get the most bang for the buck, so typically I buy very few 500g and instead get a ton of 200g so I feel like I have more haha.
    Network Administrator: PM me if you need computer-related advice!
    Flickr

Member Array

If I divide the amount of money I spend by the hours of enjoyment I get from researching, planning, buying, setting up, talking about, reading about, and shooting the fireworks, it probably comes out pretty cheap per hour. That said, I'm sure I spend way too much. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to stop any time soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalbooomer View Post
    There are millions of people out there who think we are idiots spending over $1000.00 just to watch it all go up in smoke and then turn around and spend twice that much a year on cigarettes. At least pyro doesn't cause cancer!
    I used to work with a guy who would buy a bag of pot everyday, but then call me a moron for spending money on fireworks that just go up in smoke. But in the end, don't we get the same effect? I know I do.
    KCAP, Charter Member, Board Member
    http://kcap.us/
    Safety glasses have prevented me from an eye injury. Never forget them!
    Cobra Firing Systems

I'm pretty sure most people on here are this way. I used to be content with couple hundred dollars in retail, now i'm over 1000 wholesale. I would spend more if i had somewhere local to shoot legally, but at least i made a couple friends on here.

Purveyor of Cosmic Debris Array Jimbo's Avatar

I find that people who question, make fun of, or otherwise don't understand spending money on a hobby don't have a hobby themselves, and that is a shame! Like Willi said....pretty much any hobby is going to be expensive, but the rewards are HUGE! (like making friends & sharing time with like-minded people as well as the awesome feeling of accomplishment)
    PGI & BPG Member

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced."
    ― Frank Zappa

Member Array

I've heard this from some relatives, "oh I wouldn't spend any money on fireworks, it's literally burning your money" and they're the ones all into it when I'm blowing up my stash. Oh for some reason they're the ones spending $160+ on their kids Jordan shoes

At the end of the day it's my money and I'm not begging them for any either. I'll spend it how I want. Once they start paying my bills then they can tell me what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilli View Post
    Name a hobby (besides masturbation) that is not "expensive"

or

that someone else would not say "that is a waste of $$$"
    Mud Trucks, racing snowmobiles,and drinking beer!!!!
    All cheap entertainment when compared to marriage. (I had to ask if I could post this)
    "No Brains-----No Headaches"
    "I'm not a pilot, but I used up a lot of runway in my younger days"

Member Array

I agree with all of you, I spent last year around 2000.00 wholesale. I do side jobs and with that pay I purchase my fireworks, I like to purchase 50-60 500g cakes and around 350-400 reloadables. My wife would rather me spend it on her but since I never used my regular pay check, only side work pay she really has no idea how much I spend. She tells me I am nuts but then when the show is over, her along with all my friends and relatives that saw the show say it was awesome. She gave me the evil eye when I found a photographer on craigslist to do the video, came over with her camera. If I would have more cash I 'd have a bigger and better show, firing system, etc. I would do it for 1000 people or just by myself either way I have a blast.

The way I look at it is, I work for my money and as long as I am not creating a hardship on my family, I see no problem spending $1000 on fireworks if I want to. Spend what you can afford. I usually spend about a $1000 on wholesale at Schneitters. I would spend more but I can't find the time to set up more than that. I have a few guys at work that tell me I am crazy for spending that much, but then usually about a week before the 4th of July they say "Can you get me a deal on some fireworks?" I tell them "Just go to a tent on the 4th, I don't want to waste you money".

As long as your family doesn't suffer over it- flip a coin.

It's an addiction-plain and simple. Is it worth a marriage-no way.

Be smart on how you spend and finding the best costs and it miminize the damages.

This is the mean circle- everyone comes and sees YOUR show and brags on how great it is, now you have to be better next year, means more money because rarely fireworks go down in price and you have to have MORE. Now, they way you shoot will have to change also-electrical systems are not cheap-more money, reloading is out-more mortars-more money.

Now- hey I need MONEY!!! well people don't mind in donating-but they want a better show-more time also. Less time for family because you will have to script the show now. Oh no-looks like rain.

Be smart and when you are not enjoying yourself anymore-do not risk things because of it.

I did put my wife through hell after the accident-everytime I shot.

It not worth risking your marriage-end of story.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Member Array

good for $1000 every year myself.my wife says a am like a kid in a candy store.REMEMBER LIFES TO SHORT ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love the WHUMP! of the lift charges when we hand-fire a show... the smell of black powder... the BOOOMMMM!... the awesome beauty of lighting up the sky! It's.... magical!
    NY Certified Pyrotechnician
    BATFE Type 54 Permit
    Type IV Mag

I take in scrap metal on the weekends to pay for my habit. That way the wife can't complain when I spend it all on fireworks. Made $130 today with 2 loads in about 1 hour.
    ~Josh
    BATFE type 54 permit
    Kansas licensed display operator
    Kansas City Area Pyros charter member

Oh to be able to keep it at $1000....... Luckily it's just me and the little lady. She loves pyro too so it works out well. Lugs cases around like nobodies business and can fire and reload with the best of us. Best of all she'll sneak around and buy the cases I hemmed and hawed over.
    No risk to family? I say spend what you want and enjoy. Hell, we could all just sit around and smoke or drink it away. Where would the fun in that be???
    VA Certified Pyrotechnician-Aerial
    New Hampshire Pyrotechnics Assn.
    Crackerjacks
    MAPAG
    NLPC
    PGI

No- what you got to love is when the fruits of your labor is filled with cheers. It is something when right after the finale goes off- you take your helmet/phones off- the quiet , and then the cheers/ car horns/ and so on.

It really is something and worth it.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Yep, that too!
    NY Certified Pyrotechnician
    BATFE Type 54 Permit
    Type IV Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrohobie View Post
    No- what you got to love is when the fruits of your labor is filled with cheers. It is something when right after the finale goes off- you take your helmet/phones off- the quiet , and then the cheers/ car horns/ and so on.

It really is something and worth it.
    Shot a bunch of shows for nothing more than a few slices of pizza. Always found the crowds reaction to be the best part. Always made sure to focus on it as it made all the work worth it.
    VA Certified Pyrotechnician-Aerial
    New Hampshire Pyrotechnics Assn.
    Crackerjacks
    MAPAG
    NLPC
    PGI

If you divide the time you spend researching, planning, shooting or just thinking about pyro, then its a fairly cheap hobby.
    At least that's what I tell myself.
    Last edited by sirblaze; January 22nd, 2012 at 03:13 AM.

Only spend what you can afford to spend. Cash. Buying pyro, or anything that has no long term value on credit is stupid. Sucks to be still paying for last years shoot when the forth rolls around this year.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by stuntborg View Post
    Only spend what you can afford to spend. Cash.
    Yep! I find it best to buy year round in little bits when I have some spare cash and when something I want is available.
    Life down here is just a strange illusion......

APWC

Weather shooting public displays or your backyard shows- once you lose the "feeling" Loving of what your doing-get the hell out! It's not worth the money for the dangers that you are doing.

You have to love the taste of sulfur- the thump in your chest-the "rush" you get before and during the show.

That is priceless.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
    Yep! I find it best to buy year round in little bits when I have some spare cash and when something I want is available.
    This is what I do the most part. Sometimes a pyro friend will say they have half a case/case of whatever for sale. If I have the money I buy it. I buy my shooting wire and ematch blanks this time of the year so I have stocks for pretty much all year. I do go to Sizz Boom's for buys in March - this year since I do not need shells it will be mostly cakes, comets and mines. I need to get another 32 cue box from Dewey in the next couple of weeks but that will be handled by part of tax refund. I am also single, but I do have a commitment in keeping my horses and my cat fed. It is addicting and especially when one first starts off buying mass quantities it is time to get things in check. Remember though, always have fun !!!

Tom

Snakes and Sparklers Array HerrLoll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superbang View Post
    Is there anyone else out there like me that spends way more than they should every year on fireworks ?
    I don't feel like I spend nearly enough... I've got Truckloads of Johnny Walker Blue dreams on a Cases of Johnny Walker Black budget.
    Asking a true pyro how much a show cost to put on is like asking an artist how much a painting costed to paint... It's a ridiculous and stupid question.