Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Ban for CDL drivers

Default Cell Phone Ban for CDL drivers

I know we have quite a few CDL drivers here that could be affected by this new regulation by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The FMCAS has imposed a cell phone ban for Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) drivers. The new regulation will apply for
    the following drivers:

• All Interstate CMV drivers (drivers that cross state lines)
    • All CMV drivers that carry a placarded amount of Hazardous Materials

If a driver is caught using a cell phone while operating a CMV, he can face
    federal penalties up to $2,750. It is also considered a “serious traffic violation” and could
    result in a disqualification for 60 days. Additionally, company fines could reach $11,000
    per occurrence.

The new rule prohibits drivers from…

• Using at least one hand to hold a mobile phone to conduct voice communication.
    • Dialing or answering a mobile phone by pressing more than a single button
    • Reaching for a mobile phone in a manner that requires the driver to maneuver so that he is no longer seated, belted, driving position.

It will only be a matter of time before they ban cell phone usage for all CMV drivers.

Default Re: Cell Phone Ban for CDL drivers

They're (NTSB) working on banning cell phone use by ALL drivers.

I thought hazmat drivers were already banned from using cell phones without hands free devices.
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

I saw that too. I Blu-tooth to the NAV or the Jawbone anyway.

Wonder if it applies to Police and Scale Patrol using their cellphones, walkie-talkies, car radios, computers, etc.

Oh wait...of course not!
    www.pyinthesky.com & www.i-match.us
    BATFE Licensed Mfg of Explosives
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

KCAP Charter Member Array mattrod's Avatar

we cant use our cel phones while operating a train, but somehow its ok to use the company supplied radio...
    KCAP Board Member/PGI/MAPAG/MAFF
    Cobra18R-Pyromate P45
    youtube.com/ratrodford
    BATFE TYPE 54 - MO/KS DISPLAY OPERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by ratrodford View Post
    we cant use our cel phones while operating a train, but somehow its ok to use the company supplied radio...
    Same thing with our ambulance, unless we don't have radio reception in which we can use the company supplied Nextel phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ratrodford View Post
    Same thing with our ambulance, unless we don't have radio reception in which we can use the company supplied Nextel phone.
    Last edited by JoeRatman; January 18th, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Merge sequential posts
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

Member Array

just applied for a permit to allow me to take a shit . hope i get approved .
    Last edited by glazier; January 18th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

Cell phone use without a hands free device has been illegal for all drivers here in WA since 2008. It was originally only a secondary offense which meant you couldn't be pulled over for it but could be ticketed for it if you were pulled over for something else. In 2010 they made it a primary offense so now you can be pulled over for it too. Fine is $124 and is a major cash producer for the police in this state.

Member Array

I just read in another forum that an ABF driver got nailed with that $2750 ticket in AZ. He got caught using his cell phone. He stated to the officer that he was using it to get directions for his next delivery. The officer didn't care and handed him the citation. He could've pulled over for that but even if he did that, the officer still could've considered him to be "operating" the vehicle since he was on duty. Basically the driver has to be out of the vehicle if he wants to use his cell phone to be on the safe side. Hope he fights it to at least reduce the fines and points towards his CDL. IMO the fine doesn't fit the crime.

AZ is by far the strictest state for CDL drivers. Thanks to the CSA2010 it made matters worse, especially in the Eloy area on I-10. The DPS officers will pull you over for no reason and they'll used that to do an inspection.

Not that I like new laws and stuff but can anyone point to a study that doesn't show using a cell phone when driving dramatically increases the risk of causing an accident? I can find plenty of studies that say how bad it is. I've done it myself before and I can tell you that it does effect my driving.....maybe I'd better stop doing that

I do agree that pulled over along side the side of the road should not be a ticket. That is absurd.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

A big part of the 'statistics' have to do with the fact that it is looked for as a cause for accidents and fairly easy to point to.

Sure a distracted driver is by definition less attentive to driving....

But to single out use of phones is really pretty dumb.

Why not make it illegal to eat, drink, hold a coversation, put on makeup, read, listen to the radio, have kids in the car.....any of which can be easily as distracting as talking on the phone.

And how is a hands free phone any less distracting than holding one in your hand....generally speaking it is the conversation that would be distracting not holding the thing to your ear.

BTW, don't most over the road drivers use CB radios....haven't they used them for over 30 years.....doesn't it take the use of a hand to key a CB microphone....?

Somehow phones have become a technological boogeyman being banned from use under various conditions most of which are besed on little or no evidence or fact.

GK
    Carpe Noctem

Quote Originally Posted by GK View Post

Why not make it illegal to eat, drink, hold a coversation, put on makeup, read, listen to the radio, have kids in the car.....any of which can be easily as distracting as talking on the phone.

GK
    sshhh don't give big brother anymore ideas...logic is futile
    Permitted section 212 in the 242

How pyro-u works...
    FireBug270 " I would freely help him out because he clearly isn't one of the guys who shows up twice a year and asks for sh*t."

A big part of the 'statistics' have to do with the fact that it is looked for as a cause for accidents and fairly easy to point to.

Sure a distracted driver is by definition less attentive to driving....

But to single out use of phones is really pretty dumb.

Why not make it illegal to eat, drink, hold a coversation, put on makeup, read, listen to the radio, have kids in the car.....any of which can be easily as distracting as talking on the phone....
    GK
    I've responded to a lot of car accidents and have been able to tell the cause, either by admission or obvious clues. I can't recall any significant accident that was caused by just talking on a cell phone. I'm sure I have seen one, but they weren't memorable. Texting, using email or the internet on a cell phone while driving is a whole different story. While I can't recall as many serious accidents caused by this as drunk driving, it is still causes more than anything else I can think of off the top of my head.
    Member of HPA

We've told our guys to get in the habit of not using the phone while driving. Of course, their response is...well what if I used this or what if I used that? I told them...do you really want to take a chance being pulled over, given a $2,700 fine and potentially lose your job? Why risk it? Every DOT, State Trooper and even local law enforcement officer interprets the regulations differently.

As a nurse occasionally in ER, I can think of at least one MAJOR accident caused by a cell phone. No major injuries, but when the pictures are seen that's surprising. Though - many of the accidents I have seen have been caused by DWI - influence can include prescription meds...
    Since we ban everything else, can we ban ignorance?

Ill Operator Cert.
    Ill Explosive Cert.
    APA Shooter's Cert.

I just attended a DOT safety class and they emphasized the cell phone rules a lot. We were told that you had to pull completely off of the main road, such as off the road, on an exit or on-ramp, and be parked with the brakes on, to be considered "off the road". Our instructor suggested only making calls from a rest stop or similar location. They also talked about the various versions of the log book rules that seem to exist, depending on state or area, and how hard it was to comply completely with all of the rules if you only drive occasionally, since you have to document the last 7 days of your time for every date you drive. If you only drive hazmat once a week, you still have to document your work hours for the entire week...

I just need to find a teleportation device to move my product with... That might be easier than figuring out all of the rules.

We were also told that some drivers had been told (by police, DMV, DOT, etc) to only transport e-match in the cab, others were told it could not be in the cab, others had been told it had to be with the 1.3 product, and several other variations. Even the instructor could only suggest that we keep it in the rear of the truck, separate from the 1.3 product, well secured from moving, and in its original DOT approved box, even if we only have one inner box of ematch. I usually just put it on top of the cab and hope that it does not blow off. :-)

Thanks to all who have posted what they hear about the rules, as they are doing a 2 day "driver distraction" enforcement exercise in NC this week, so the rules will get a lot of enforcement now.

Bob
    NC Licensed Lead Pyrotechnics Operator - CDL w/ Hazmat
    --------
    Burning the fuse at both ends...

Quote Originally Posted by stuntborg View Post
    Not that I like new laws and stuff but can anyone point to a study that doesn't show using a cell phone when driving dramatically increases the risk of causing an accident? I can find plenty of studies that say how bad it is. I've done it myself before and I can tell you that it does effect my driving.....maybe I'd better stop doing that

I do agree that pulled over along side the side of the road should not be a ticket. That is absurd.
    You beat me to this. Accidents and deaths are all over the papers here, I have had countless people change lanes into me on the freeway, because they are concentrating on their phones. A few weeks ago after work I was waiting to pull out of a gas station, and I counted 16 of 20 cars that passed by were texting or dialing.

Member Array

Because of work, im on the road quite often. To be honest, banning cell phone use while driving isnt a bad idea.
    Ive seen people swerve lanes, slam on brakes cas they were not paying attention to the car in front of them, sit at lights long after it turned green and so on.
    Chicago Lights Pyro

Quote Originally Posted by azzip View Post
    As a nurse occasionally in ER, I can think of at least one MAJOR accident caused by a cell phone. No major injuries, but when the pictures are seen that's surprising. Though - many of the accidents I have seen have been caused by DWI - influence can include prescription meds...
    Quote Originally Posted by peeplwtchr View Post
    You beat me to this. Accidents and deaths are all over the papers here, I have had countless people change lanes into me on the freeway, because they are concentrating on their phones. A few weeks ago after work I was waiting to pull out of a gas station, and I counted 16 of 20 cars that passed by were texting or dialing.
    Quote Originally Posted by strobes View Post
    Because of work, im on the road quite often. To be honest, banning cell phone use while driving isnt a bad idea.
    Ive seen people swerve lanes, slam on brakes cas they were not paying attention to the car in front of them, sit at lights long after it turned green and so on.
    How many of these incidents do you all suppose were caused by texting, dialing, or anything else that would require a driver to look at the small screen on a cell phone. I've responded to plenty of accidents involving texting or other distractions while looking at phones, but I can't recall any accidents that were caused by someone specifically due to talking on a hands free headset.
    Member of HPA

You can do everything else but use a cellphone...LOL.....ridiculous......lame

Quote Originally Posted by Thatsit View Post
    You can do everything else but use a cellphone...LOL.....ridiculous......lame
    So the solution is to do nothing rather than address a know issue? Just a guess here but I'd be willing to bet a police officer could pull you over for various reasons related to distracted driving. Perhaps just to give you a warning but it is pretty easy for them to find something that you have done wrong if they follow you for a mile. I've actually been pulled over for driving five miles under the speed limit. I was driving suspiciously??? He didn't have anything to charge me with and when I filed a complaint I was basically told to go away.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI

Stunborg, you said something similar to a post I typed out and never posted, just in a much nicer way.
    Member of HPA

Member Array

I have to agree with the ban on cell phones, when I'm talking on my cb radio I don't seem as distracted as If I'm talking on a cell phone. When talking on a cell phone it seems 80% of my attention is on the conversation and 20% of my attentions on the road. Now whenever I get a call I just say I can't talk I'll call you back. I don't like all these rules and laws but,cell phone use and drunk driving should be enforced. I just don't like it when drivers drift into my lane when I'm hauling 8,000 gals of gas.
    member WPA
    member PGI
    CA CDL haz mat

Spoke w/enforcement agent last week about the ban. He states that this is the real deal and they are actively enforcing. Drivers are given warnings at this time, but as news get out, they will eventually start writing tickets. He said fines will start at $100 and work there way up from there. Obviously repeat offenders will be hit harder.

This is just another law that people will ignore....occasionally they will catch and ticket a small percentage of offenders.

In NY for example phones are banned while driving...so when you see a cop you lower your phone until you are out of sight.

I have seen people reading books and watching movies while driving....there is no wat to legislate in common sense...look at the seatbelt laws.

GK
    Carpe Noctem

This is just another law that people will ignore....occasionally they will catch and ticket a small percentage of offenders.

In NY for example phones are banned while driving...so when you see a cop you lower your phone until you are out of sight.

I have seen people reading books and watching movies while driving....there is no wat to legislate in common sense...look at the seatbelt laws.

GK
    Good point. Look at the seatbelt laws. When I was a kid noone wore their seatbelt. Including me. Now I'd guess 90% of the people wear their seatbelts. I can't remember the last time I got in the car with someone that didn't wear their seatbelt. Guess that law, combined with obnoxious beepers wasn't very effective.

MEMBER PGI

GK
    Like Stunt was saying, with the laws on the book that are difficult to enforce, we can only hope for voluntary compliance. Even if half choose to comply with the laws regarding cell phone use while driving, that lowers the chance of them causing an accident. No laws and no penalties will stop everyone, but even unenforceable laws seem to have a greater effect on people than education of the dangers of distracted driving.

I've had restaurant jobs while I was finishing medic school where college age coworkers would brag about driving drunk. I could tell them first hand stories of gruesome accidents and show them pictures, but it wouldn't change their behavior. DUIs (and subsequently loosing their liquor licence to serve drinks) did.
    Member of HPA

One must always do a cost/benefit analysis. CMV drivers have been operating without cell phones for how long, damn near a hundred years?

Does the benefit of using a cell phone while driving outweigh the attention it steals from the actual act of driving? Many studies compare using a cell phone to being impaired. From what I've seen, I believe 'em.

(for the record, for many of you young-un's out there, many of us managed to live wonderful and full lives without cell phones. Hard to believe, I know, but trust me, the day will come when you'll wish they didn't invent the damn things...)

Quote Originally Posted by stuntborg View Post
    Good point. Look at the seatbelt laws. When I was a kid noone wore their seatbelt. Including me. Now I'd guess 90% of the people wear their seatbelts. I can't remember the last time I got in the car with someone that didn't wear their seatbelt. Guess that law, combined with obnoxious beepers wasn't very effective.
    I think you are giving way too much credit to the laws.

Seatbelt use, DUI, etc. have been reduced through social pressure not laws.

Take for example something as simple as littering, yeah there have been laws on the books for many years...There were even littering laws 60 years ago. But there was a change in the way people acted. When I was a kid everyone just threw stuff out the window of their car, there was much more litter on the roadsides. Today most people wouldn't even think about littering.

I believe seatbelts, DUIs, are the same thing. There are still plenty of people that don't use seat belts. The majority that do use them do it because it is safer not because its the law.

I am in no way endorsing texting or watching a video while driving.....I do think that is ridiculous to believe that a hand-held phone is more dangerous to use while driving than a hands free one.

I also think there are already too many unnecessary, meaningless laws for commercial drivers to deal with. Most of the laws are effctive only in making it more difficult to safely do their jobs.

GK
    Carpe Noctem

Member Array

I think you are giving way too much credit to the laws.

Seatbelt use, DUI, etc. have been reduced through social pressure not laws.

Take for example something as simple as littering, yeah there have been laws on the books for many years...There were even littering laws 60 years ago. But there was a change in the way people acted. When I was a kid everyone just threw stuff out the window of their car, there was much more litter on the roadsides. Today most people wouldn't even think about littering.

I believe seatbelts, DUIs, are the same thing. There are still plenty of people that don't use seat belts. The majority that do use them do it because it is safer not because its the law.

I am in no way endorsing texting or watching a video while driving.....I do think that is ridiculous to believe that a hand-held phone is more dangerous to use while driving than a hands free one.

I also think there are already too many unnecessary, meaningless laws for commercial drivers to deal with. Most of the laws are effctive only in making it more difficult to safely do their jobs.

GK
    Which will you have more control in an emergency. 1 hand on the wheel or 2

haven't truckers had CB radios forever? If hands-free cellphones are banned shouldn't they be as well?
    Last edited by minor; February 15th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Permitted section 212 in the 242

How pyro-u works...
    FireBug270 " I would freely help him out because he clearly isn't one of the guys who shows up twice a year and asks for sh*t."