Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder over Louisville 2012

Default Thunder over Louisville 2012

Time to start thinking about it. Who plans on going? Where do you plan on watching from? Since the world is supposed to end in 2012, this might be a good one...

And don't forget about Thunder before Thunder too.
    www.pyinthesky.com & www.i-match.us
    BATFE Licensed Mfg of Explosives
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

Default Re: Thunder over Louisville 2012

I will be at both. I'll be watching TOL from the Galt, I hope it's a good view.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

I have never been, because of work, but plan on going come hell or high water. I would really like to know a good viewing area as well as how to get to it (viewing area not Louisville). Also, what are some good items to bring and how early to go before the crowd really starts arriving?

Quote Originally Posted by indianahx View Post
    I have never been, because of work, but plan on going come hell or high water. I would really like to know a good viewing area as well as how to get to it (viewing area not Louisville). Also, what are some good items to bring and how early to go before the crowd really starts arriving?
    Ditto!

I'm only a few hours from Louisville so I was hoping to spend the day, watch the show, and then drive home late that night. Any suggestions on good viewing areas that don't require any $$?

What is "Thunder before Thunder"?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttrack View Post
    ...What is "Thunder before Thunder"?

Cheers!
    Thunder before thunder is ATF's (Advanced Technique Fireworks) demo displays and takes place on Thursday (1.4g) and Friday (1.3g) before the real Thunder on Saturday night. ATF is a half hour or so from Louisville in Goshen, KY.

As far as places to view go, it is all about how you personally like to view fireworks. Being from Indiana, you may enjoy the view from that side of the river as it is farther back and you can take in the whole spectacle and won't have to hassle with trying to get back over the river afterwards. On the KY side, the park down by the waterfront is "free" but it gets quite cozy down there with 1 million of your closest friends oohhing and ahhhing with you and you need to get there crack of dawn and stake out your territory and guard it all day long. People use folding chairs, blankets, police "do not cross" tape etc. to try to hold their real estate. The Galt Hotel is the traditional "center of the universe" down there but a view room for 6 will run around $650. There is a Marriott with twin towers that has view room packages around $300.

Go to google earth, type in Louisville and scout you out a good space.

Me, I like being right underneath it all so I will be at Joe's Crab Shack on the waterfront.

This is a view from the Galt looking north:
    Last edited by WildWilli; December 30th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

I live in Louisville, and the Galt House will be a GREAT place to watch the show.

I have only been once so far, but the view from just east of the bridge on the Louisville side was quite good. Since the barges are o both sides of the bridge, you get a reasonably good view from either side of the bridge. The best view would be from the Bridge, which I would love to see someday. There are few places that would let you see every shell, as the display is so wide. You need to have fly eyes for that anyway. And I didn't see any more than 600,000 people there.

It works best to get a spot by about 9am, but people were very polite if you put a blanket or chair down, they did not seem to bother it, so you don't have to be there all day long non-stop. But you will want to be in place by about noon or 1pm as by then the crowd grows for the airshow at 2 or 3pm. The airshow was great just by itself. Then you have a few hours to get dinner (from one of the 1000+ food tents) and then the evening airshow was about 7-8pm. The fireworks weren't until about 8:30, but they are amazing.

I hope to be there this year, but not sure yet. It's been another crazy year, so never sure. Maybe we can just all carpool from MAFF and go by Thunder before Thunder on our way... Maybe we can get a PyroU group together there. The Galt is nearly impossible to get a room in or even get into once night falls. They were slammed full of people when I was there before.
    NC Licensed Lead Pyrotechnics Operator - CDL w/ Hazmat
    --------
    Burning the fuse at both ends...

Thanks for the great info Willi, will definitely take it all into consideration.....budget wise though I think free viewing will be my only option

What date is the event? Do we want to do a PyroU gathering for those attending?
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

BATFE Type 34
    HPA Member | PGI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    What date is the event? Do we want to do a PyroU gathering for those attending?
    I might be interested in this.
    Neopg
    PGI

Visit www.StarFireSales.com

April 21st is Thunder and the ATF demos would be the 19th and 20th.

Here is some more info:

http://thunderoverlouisville.org/fre...questions.html

Joe's is $200 per seat but includes a seafood/crab buffet and only sells about 300 tickets and you will have a reserved seat inside all day and an outside seat on the balcony (expect some rice hulls in your hair). We could certainly have a Pyro-U party there. The GM there told me we can add to our group as necessary until all the tickets were sold. I asked him about a group rate but he explained this is his "Christmas" and every one of those seats is in no danger of not selling out so it's pretty much full price for this one. I certainly understand his position.

If anyone does want to join me, Mrs. Willi and the rest of our party, feel free. The more the merrier!

You just better opt in sooner than later...
    Last edited by WildWilli; December 31st, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

I've watched from the Galt....also from the bridge

Galt is a great view...

GK
    Carpe Noctem

The problem I had with the Galt (or any of the hotels on the waterfront) was if you are in a room watching through glass that you cannot open to feel, smell, really hear, and wear the fireworks, you could just as well watch it on TV. And you would "see" it alot better as the news crews have dozens of live cameras from the very best vantage points and even helicoptors.

Two years ago we watched from inside Preston Point and here is the video I got.

It was alright but you had to go outside for the better experience. As far back as we were, which wasn't that far, did skew the timing for matching the sight with the sound.
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

Member Array

Thunder IMO is one of those events every person should do once. Reason why i say that is because its just one big Chinese carpet bombing that looks the same year after year.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by strobes View Post
    Thunder IMO is one of those events every person should do once. Reason why i say that is because its just one big Chinese carpet bombing that looks the same year after year.
    it looks like a repeat of the repeat brand of shells from repeat china . all the majors do that
    Last edited by glazier; December 31st, 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strobes View Post
    There usually a couple moments that are nice each year but for the most part just a sky puke.

Product is almost all Chinese (Sunny and TB) with some shells from Grand (American made) thrown in. There are usually a few high end shells (to burn up budget) but they often get buried in the barrage.

As of about 7 years ago Zambelli actually made some of the product....but that was only the waterfall tubes and the mines (made with bought stars from Knighton).

When I watched from the Galt there were balconies for viewing set up with sound. The view from command (top floor of the Galt) is kinda cool but you really feel disconnected there. Watching from the bridge sometimes gets to smoky to see after a few minutes.

GK
    Last edited by GK; January 13th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Carpe Noctem

This would be a good place to watch.

Molon Labe
    Founder & Charter Member, KCAP (Kansas City Area Pyrotechnicians)
    www.kcap.us
    Non-Sparking tools by pyinthesky.com
    Kansas City Senior Portraits

Sky puke or not, it is touted as the largest fireworks display in North America and it is still an event that everyone here needs to see in person at least once in their lifetime. The air show is icing on the cake.

So who else wants to join us at Joe's?
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilli View Post
    Sky puke or not, it is touted as the largest fireworks display in North America and it is still an event that everyone here needs to see in person at least once in their lifetime. The air show is icing on the cake.

So who else wants to join us at Joe's?

Next year Willi, gonna stay local for all of the demos this year. Something I've wanted to do, just not in the cards this year.
    "No Brains-----No Headaches"
    "I'm not a pilot, but I used up a lot of runway in my younger days"

Willi, do you have a phone number, address, or email for Joe's so that if anyone is considering making a reservation, they can do it? I am not familiar with Louisville or Joe's. Thanks.
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

BATFE Type 34
    HPA Member | PGI Member

The General Manager's name is Mike McDowell. His number is 502-568-1171. His e-mail is: cslo at joescs.com

Tell him you are with the Pyro Universe group.
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

I am from Indianapolis, and I go every year. i go under the bridge on the Kentucky side. I get there at about noon, get my spot and watch the air show, (the jets are awesome) I have a video of the finale from this year and haven't posted it but will soon. It is absolutely something every body needs to do once. Pudding face everytime!
    Rockets red glare gets me every time.

Member Array

Wow... I am gonna have to go this year. I think I saw a part of it on a TV show, but I always thought that it was on the 4th of July for some reason, lol.

Some have it backwards. You should do Thunder Over Louisville every year but only do ATF once. It only takes one time to learn you'll never go back to him.

Anyway, I'll be there. Ive got access to the second st ramp. Who wants to join me?

I plan on going to Thunder Before Thunder but not sure about TOL, I have been 3 times and it's a long day and alot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Stibnite View Post
    Some have it backwards. You should do Thunder Over Louisville every year but only do ATF once. It only takes one time to learn you'll never go back to him.

Anyway, I'll be there. Ive got access to the second st ramp. Who wants to join me?
    Is that the spot that the police and emergency people get to watch from?

I hope to make it again this year, but not sure yet. It may be a giant sky puke, but it is a REALLY big giant sky puke. And the scale of it allows you to see fireworks in any direct you look if you are close enough. There aren't many shows that give you a front a mile long to look at. It is nearly 180 degrees of pyro. (360 if you are on the bridge :-)
    NC Licensed Lead Pyrotechnics Operator - CDL w/ Hazmat
    --------
    Burning the fuse at both ends...

Purveyor of Cosmic Debris Array Jimbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    Willi, do you have a phone number, address, or email for Joe's so that if anyone is considering making a reservation, they can do it? I am not familiar with Louisville or Joe's. Thanks.
    Another nice thing about watching from Joe's...and the area around it, is the party. The lawn behind Joe's has a stage w/ music all day and lots of beer/liquor/food vendors. You have to buy a "party pin" in get in this area, but if you want to consume alcohol and hear good music, this is one of the public places that permit it. I think the pins are $10 day of show & $5 pre-sale.

I'm gonna try to make it down this year after missing last year. I'll be sure to come to Joe's

BTW....TOL is kind of a sky-puke...but it's a VERY good one, and like Willi said....definitely worth attending! The Air Show is killer as well. So are the lovely southern ladies dressed to the hilt and friendly as a baby bunny in a grassy meadow. They make a mean Mint Julep there as well. Overall....YOU WILL HAVE FUN!
    PGI & BPG Member

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced."
    ― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Is that the spot that the police and emergency people get to watch from?
    Thats the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Stibnite View Post

Not everyone likes Mike Korbylo, but there are plenty of people willing and happy to do business with him over and over again.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try and get a reservation for myself and one of my Pyro Partners. I'm really looking forward to putting faces to some of the Pyro U people I've been talking to. It would be great to see a lot of you guys there!
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilli View Post
    The General Manager's name is Mike McDowell. His number is 502-568-1171. His e-mail is: cslo at joescs.com

Tell him you are with the Pyro Universe group.
    Chris,
    BATFE Type 54-User of Fireworks (DISPLAY) Permitted 2/1/2011
    Co-Owner of Ky Pyro Creations,LLC