Thread: Is this really safe?

Default Is this really safe?

I received an e-mail from Skylighter today that included this article. http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/...ks-Mortars.asp

The part I'm curious about is where he attaches the tubes to a base. Would this hold up after repeated use? Would it be ok for just firing festival balls and other ball shells? I realize that it would have to be inspected after each use, but if its safe it could save a little time and money.

-Andrew
    Come to the pyro side, we have things that go BOOM!

Bacon & Fireworks certified.

Default Re: Is this really safe?

there is nothing wrong with cardboard mortars. they can last a long time if you treat them right. the bases should be fine as long as the are secure, i would probably just cut a wood plug and rack them up.

one thing, it might not be saving time or money in the end, especially if you found some used mortars or scrounged the good ones from kits to make poor mans racks
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

I just didn't know if the seal would stay intact after repeated use. Normally the tubes would have a plug glued and stapled to secure it, it just seems like it might give after a while. I know that cardboard tubes are fine to use, I just didn't know if that technique would hold up.

KCAP Charter Member Array mattrod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pyro92 View Post
    I received an e-mail from Skylighter today that included this article. http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/...ks-Mortars.asp

The part I'm curious about is where he attaches the tubes to a base. Would this hold up after repeated use? Would it be ok for just firing festival balls and other ball shells? I realize that it would have to be inspected after each use, but if its safe it could save a little time and money.

-Andrew
    how does this SAVE TIME AND MONEY?
    KCAP Board Member/PGI/MAPAG/MAFF
    Cobra18R-Pyromate P45
    youtube.com/ratrodford
    BATFE TYPE 54 - MO/KS DISPLAY OPERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by ratrodford View Post
    how does this SAVE TIME AND MONEY?
    Alright so maybe it doesn't really save time and money.
    I just wanted to know if it was safe. It's a different way of doing things than you normally see so I wasn't sure.

I just didn't know if the seal would stay intact after repeated use. Normally the tubes would have a plug glued and stapled to secure it, it just seems like it might give after a while. I know that cardboard tubes are fine to use, I just didn't know if that technique would hold up.
    Why do you glue and staple your plugs?

I have guns up to 16" with plugs that are held in with screws (6" and smaller) or lag bolts (8" & up), no glue needed here, what kind of shells are you shooting???
    Licensed Display Operator: CT, MA, MD, NH, NYC (E-20 & E-18), NYS (Type A)
    Type 20 Licensed
    PGI Certified
    Safety Officer - Northern Lights Pyrotechnic Club, Inc
    PGI & NHPA Member

Purveyor of Cosmic Debris Array Jimbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pyro29 View Post
    Why do you glue and staple your plugs?

I have guns up to 16" with plugs that are held in with screws (6" and smaller) or lag bolts (8" & up), no glue needed here, what kind of shells are you shooting???
    I believe the OP is talking about the cardboard tubes that come in 1.4 artillery kits.
    PGI & BPG Member

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced."
    ― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I believe the OP is talking about the cardboard tubes that come in 1.4 artillery kits.
    Yeah, I'm talking tubes for 1.4 ball shells. I'm mostly referring to unplugged cardboard tubes. Is this a safe alternative to plugging and racking them?

it is not dissimilar from the way the tubes are made in kits or cakes. a better plug certainly wouldnt hurt. the chinese just ram clay in the bottom of them. i think it would be just fine the way harry mentions. but i still dont think it would save time or money. he offers a solution to an uncommon problem, just being a good salesman.
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

Quote Originally Posted by nater219 View Post
    it is not dissimilar from the way the tubes are made in kits or cakes. a better plug certainly wouldnt hurt. the chinese just ram clay in the bottom of them. i think it would be just fine the way harry mentions. but i still dont think it would save time or money. he offers a solution to an uncommon problem, just being a good salesman.
    Alright, like I said I was just curious, I wasn't doubting his method. I didn't think about the kits that are made in a similar fashion.

Member Array

I think the answer as to if it is safe to use this process to construct a poor-man's rack is......... why not, I have purchased plenty of 1.4G product that had mortar tubes and bases of much lower quality than this example. The question of, would I use this method of "rack construction"; not now but for a low/no cost backyard low volume solution, why not.

"Glue and screw"; I don't know how many volume manufacrures "glue and screw" for 1.4G but I would suspect few. Most put a couple of staples in them and off they go. The underlying question of safety is, what condition is the rack upon time of use? .....TBD..... Liquid nails attaches to wood and cardboard well when dry. Are there better ways of construction? You betcha....

If you are planning to use paper towel rolls or wrapping paper rolls, I would say .... something like.... I HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING to be nice.

If they were prepackaged works tubes how about... have fun, be safe, adult supervision suggested, make sure your folks approve.
    Last edited by Northern Sky; October 24th, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
    BATF Type 54
    PGI Certified Member
    COBRA 18R2 - - MAFF
    NEOPG Ohio Assistant
    Have Fun. Be Safe. SALUTE

When I get cardboard tubes I make some into poor mans racks for a one shot only performance. The rest are used to hold my coffee creamer until the show is over. All get trashed every year.
    When I die, I want to be enbalmed with black powder and detonated over a nude beach!

Yeah, I'm talking tubes for 1.4 ball shells. I'm mostly referring to unplugged cardboard tubes. Is this a safe alternative to plugging and racking them?
    I knew that...my point is that I don't need glue and screws for big shells so why would glue and screws be needed for small shells. That was my point.

For many years shell kits have been coming with tubes with no plug and only a stapled plastic base. Many pre-loaded single shot tubes are also that way, even the older American made ones that were lifted nicely. No worries...
    Licensed Display Operator: CT, MA, MD, NH, NYC (E-20 & E-18), NYS (Type A)
    Type 20 Licensed
    PGI Certified
    Safety Officer - Northern Lights Pyrotechnic Club, Inc
    PGI & NHPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyro29 View Post
    I knew that...my point is that I don't need glue and screws for big shells so why would glue and screws be needed for small shells. That was my point.

For many years shell kits have been coming with tubes with no plug and only a stapled plastic base. Many pre-loaded single shot tubes are also that way, even the older American made ones that were lifted nicely. No worries...
    I don't always glue and staple, I guess I'm just paranoid. You can never be to safe though.

Yeah but the plastic base was the plug and it was stapled to the tube. No plug = no lift. If the tube is not secure the exhaust gases will drive the tube up making for a very low break. For what it would cost to waterproof the tubes and make plugs, you could buy pre assembled tubes that would last a very long time.
    Many of us do not put a price on our personal labor. I do and even at $10.00/hr (I'm worth more) you can buy a lot of tubes and just have fun.
    When I die, I want to be enbalmed with black powder and detonated over a nude beach!

Member Array

Did you notice who the Author of that tutorial was?

If Ned Giorski says it works you can take it to the bank.

Ned is the most thorough pyro I know, everything is researched and tested to the Nth degree
    HPA, BPG & PGI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Algenco View Post
    Did you notice who the Author of that tutorial was?

If Ned Giorski says it works you can take it to the bank.

Ned is the most thorough pyro I know, everything is researched and tested to the Nth degree
    He said it all. If Ned said you could shoot mortars out of pop cans, I would start building racks for my empties...
    This is the greatest Country on earthLets celebrate!!
    Illinois explosives license
    BATFE type 54
    BATFE type 01 FFL
    Member-PGI/Member-HPA

Member Array

ALL HAIL NED...
    if your not a member of Passfire you should grab a guest pass and come by and say hello.
    Doug

I didn't notice it was Ned's article, like I said, I think it would work and be safe, with Ned as the author, I am sure it is tested and trustworthy.

I still think skylighter is trying to sell cardboard tubes.
    Member of HPA

Member Array

Well yeah the theory would be Harry says Ned I have 10000 cardboard tubes to sell make a article on
    how consumers can use them and lets start selling them.
    Then PGI Grand Marshall Ned goes into his thinking chambers and constructs the article and it gets published.
    Bamm Harry gets alot of orders and is down to 200 tubes left.
    Its a great marketing strategy and has been working.
    LoL that's just a theory though....
    Doug

Member Array

Ned had done so many articles for Harry, he's always looking for subject matter.
    On the other hand Ned truly enjoys in depth researching of projects, he loves the challenge.
    HPA, BPG & PGI Member

Ok, so I guess it was a dumb question. Thanks for the reply's anyways guys, its appreciated.

Not a dumb question, you had a valid concern and got good answers.
    Member of HPA

i made this with wood, gorilla glue and 5 electric rain shells...it fired fine at MAFF a few weeks ago Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 shot poor mans rack.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	19283. not really worth the time, or the price of gorilla glue, easier to just buy a rack and tubes, but i wanted an extra 5 shells in the air and i had the tubes and wood. ill prob fire it a few more times and then use it for candles or big rockets