Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 feet safe enough for reloadable mortars??

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

Default Re: 20 feet safe enough for reloadable mortars??

I live in the city, where we have 40' wide lots. According to the 40' diameter rule, it would be "safe" to launch shells, cakes and any aerials in my back yard. Would I? No. Would I feel safe if one of my next door neighbors started shooting aerials in their backyard? No. I have shot fountains and ground items in my back yard and I believe that is safe enough for most S&S and ground items. Though my yard is also surrounded by a thick 10'-15' high hedge as well. I also brace or barricade the fountains when possible.

For aerials, I want to have at least 75' for tubes 1" and under and 70' per inch for tubes larger than 1". I will take more distance if I can get it. This is basically the NFPA 1123 standard.

Whenever I am shooting any fireworks, I use the "family rule" for the spectators. If one of my family members (wife, son, daughter-in-laws, brothers, sisters, etc.) was in the audience, where would I want that family member to be or how far away would I want that family member to be away from the fireworks, if something would go wrong.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRatman View Post
    Whenever I am shooting any fireworks, I use the "family rule" for the spectators. If one of my family members (wife, son, daughter-in-laws, brothers, sisters, etc.) was in the audience, where would I want that family member to be or how far away would I want that family member to be away from the fireworks, if something would go wrong.
    I like that rule Joe. I shall remember that.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that is has taken place." (George Bernard Shaw)

Quote Originally Posted by GK View Post
    ...Most of us enjoy this to please an audience...the first step in pleasing them is to not hurt them

GK
    So true. We use that line in my *other* line of work as well. Reps.
    BATF 54, PGI, BPG, Dad, The Coaster Guy

People keep referring to the "common sense" rule... but sadly enough common sense is no longer common.

Quote Originally Posted by tradami View Post
    People keep referring to the "common sense" rule... but sadly enough common sense is no longer common.
    I disagree, most people shooting pyro have some sort of common sense... It's whether you choose to use it or not that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    I disagree, most people shooting pyro have some sort of common sense... It's whether you choose to use it or not that makes all the difference.
    I disagree with this. Go drive through a neighborhood. In Toledo, we get people shooting off 500g cakes in the street, next to cars, next to houses. Groups of people standing around it like a fire pit.

People of pyro u have common sense. Most consumers don't. Just my opinion.

I disagree with this. Go drive through a neighborhood. In Toledo, we get people shooting off 500g cakes in the street, next to cars, next to houses. Groups of people standing around it like a fire pit.

People of pyro u have common sense. Most consumers don't. Just my opinion.
    I am not pointing any fingers here but when they went and purchased whatever pyro they are using, do you think they were provided with a user manual and the most common ABC tip? They buy cakes and shells under the assumption that they don't need anything but a lighter.

Either learn and live or live and learn.

I am not pointing any fingers here but when they went and purchased whatever pyro they are using, do you think they were provided with a user manual and the most common ABC tip? They buy cakes and shells under the assumption that they don't need anything but a lighter.

Either learn and live or live and learn.
    Unless I misread your post, shooting cakes next to vehicles is NOT common sense. People buying cakes and shells under the assumption that they don't need anything but a lighter clearly displays that they have no common sense.

Unless I misread your post, shooting cakes next to vehicles is NOT common sense. People buying cakes and shells under the assumption that they don't need anything but a lighter clearly displays that they have no common sense.
    You completely missed my point. The bigger picture is, consumers don't want to go find a big open area to light off a few things. They like being able to have people over and entertain them by lighting off some shells and a cake or two.

Not many start off knowing the safe and correct way to use "farrrrworks"..

...quit acting like you were never in their shoes..
    Last edited by Dude; April 16th, 2012 at 06:14 AM.

That doesn't make it any more safe...

I'm not referring to the people shooting in their yards. I'm not referring to the people who aren't being as safe as they should. I'm referring to the people being stupid with fireworks.

There's a difference between working with what you have and complete ignorance to safety.

I don't think it's required I give a huge list of fireworks accidents.
    I don't think videos of idiots with fireworks are welcome here.

Also, if you would've actually let my post up above settle in, you might've understood it a bit more, rather than jumping the gun to disagree.

I said, everyone has some sort of common sense, whether you choose to use it or not is what makes all the difference. I will use your video for example, that guy knew that rocket was meant to be launched out of a tube, not a bush. He didn't automatically assume they were meant to be shot out of shrubs...

As far as those two pictures you posted, are those firework friendly areas? If so, what do you think of the people that shoot right there in the middle of the street? Are they idiots? too lazy to go to a field?

Where do you shoot when you need a quick fix? Do you travel to a field to light a single shell? I SURE hope so! Or you are lacking common sense

Fireworks and the safety that goes with them is treated differently with everyone. I don't want to derail this thread any further but.. Someone might let their child hold a sparkler and someone else might make them stick it in some sand and then they will light it for them. Same goes for shells and cakes. Some ABC, some don't. Does that mean the person letting their child hold a sparkler is lacking common sense?
    Last edited by Dude; April 16th, 2012 at 07:27 AM.

for can shells, probably best to observe at least the 40-50 feet from people as the labeling suggests but if you go by PGI guidelines/ATF then it's a bit more than double that distance ? The noise from the lift charge alone will hurt some people's ears if they're within 20 feet .... I was very close (no more than 10 feet away) from the area that people were doing can shells @ Kellner's open-shoot and my ears were hurtin' for a good while, afterwards. That was my risk/choice to be that close, however . I was trying to learn by observing . Had eye protection .

and with the wide dispersal of crackle-sparks from big 500 gr. fountains, I tend to get same distance away if I don't have eye protect. on . My back-yard is fenced and I can spray down the grass and fence with the hose, just prior to eliminate risk of grass burning . this is done at smaller community fireworks displays by the local fire dept. in some cases. a radial wet-down .