Thread: Nebraska Class "C" 1.4g fireworks storage and display out of season

Member Array

Default Nebraska Class "C" 1.4g fireworks storage and display out of season

I've been approached by a private school in my area wanting me to find out what it would take to do a consumer fireworks show in Nebraska outside of the normal consumer fireworks selling period. They would like to do the show for a campus kickoff after hearing about the show I do during the June 25th - July 4th selling period in Nebraska. The timeframe when this would happen would be between August and September. I have a few questions that I need answers to and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shooting consumer grade fireworks outside of the legal selling periods in Nebraska.

1) If we were to purchase fireworks for a show to be shot at a later date and time what are the requirements for storing it? I don't see anything regarding storage in the ATF Orange book for consumer grade fireworks but then again maybe I missed it or misread it so please help me understand if there are any federal regulations regarding consumer fireworks storage.

2) What state regulations are there regarding a consumer storing consumer grade fireworks? I spoke with someone at the Nebraska State Fire Marshall's office over the phone last year regarding this and they said that as long as the fireworks were purchased during a legal selling period in Nebraska and you have a bill or receipt detailing your fireworks inventory, place of purchase, and date of purchase that you could store the fireworks year round on your own private property without any consequences from their office so long as the storage does not violate any county or city regulations on the storage of consumer grade fireworks. I would like to know if other people have gotten this same answer.

3) I have heard in the past from a few Nebraskans in the fireworks retail business that it is legal to shoot consumer grade fireworks year round in the country/rural areas of Nebraska so long as your county does not have any regulations limiting the time when you can shoot and you are not disturbing your neighbors. I would like to know if other people have came to this same conclusion from their research and if there is anywere in writting to prove this so I could keep a printed copy with my ATF Orange Book and other papers?

4) If we wanted to shoot consumer grade fireworks within city limits outside of selling periods how would you go about doing so legally? I'm sure other people within my state have done so before and there has to be a way to do this without having to higher a Class "B" technician to obtain a display permit.

If any of you made it through all of my questions and are wondering why would he bother doing a fireworks show with consumer grade fireworks its because of a couple different reasons.

1) I don't think its financially feasible for me at this time to maintain the display operator permits with the ATF, the State of Nebraska, and the insurance required for displays as a hobbiest. Maybe other people have the means to do so but I do not at this time. I make the best of what they give me and I do a good job of it.

2) I've had good success now doing simple class "C" fireworks shows for people and I would like to find a way to share my hobby/intrest with other people who would like to pay for the fireworks themself and have me design and shoot the show for their social gatherings.

Hope you guys can help out a Nebraska hobbiest out with filling in the blanks.
    Last edited by 888HUSKERS; September 18th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Default Re: Nebraska Class "C" 1.4g fireworks storage and display out of season

Quote Originally Posted by 888HUSKERS View Post
    I've been approached by a private school in my area wanting me to find out what it would take to do a consumer fireworks show in Nebraska outside of the normal consumer fireworks selling period. They would like to do the show for a campus kickoff after hearing about the show I do during the June 25th - July 4th selling period in Nebraska. The timeframe when this would happen would be between August and September. I have a few questions that I need answers to and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shooting consumer grade fireworks outside of the legal selling periods in Nebraska.
    There are alot of pyro nerds in NE always looking for a reason to shoot.

1) If we were to purchase fireworks for a show to be shot at a later date and time what are the requirements for storing it? I don't see anything regarding storage in the ATF Orange book for consumer grade fireworks but then again maybe I missed it or misread it so please help me understand if there are any federal regulations regarding consumer fireworks storage.
    The CPSC regulates consumer fireworks at the Federal level, so you won't see much from the ATF. There are no storage requirements for consumer fireworks for the consumers.

2) What state regulations are there regarding a consumer storing consumer grade fireworks? I spoke with someone at the Nebraska State Fire Marshall's office over the phone last year regarding this and they said that as long as the fireworks were purchased during a legal selling period in Nebraska and you have a bill or receipt detailing your fireworks inventory, place of purchase, and date of purchase that you could store the fireworks year round on your own private property without any consequences from their office so long as the storage does not violate any county or city regulations on the storage of consumer grade fireworks. I would like to know if other people have gotten this same answer.
    There are no State regulations about storing consumer fireworks by consumers.

3) I have heard in the past from a few Nebraskans in the fireworks retail business that it is legal to shoot consumer grade fireworks year round in the country/rural areas of Nebraska so long as your county does not have any regulations limiting the time when you can shoot and you are not disturbing your neighbors. I would like to know if other people have came to this same conclusion from their research and if there is anywere in writting to prove this so I could keep a printed copy with my ATF Orange Book and other papers?
    Yep, There is nothing in writing that says you can, but I can link you to Title 157, chapter 3 which is all of Nebraska fireworks laws and you can see that there is nothing in there that says you cant.

4) If we wanted to shoot consumer grade fireworks within city limits outside of selling periods how would you go about doing so legally? I'm sure other people within my state have done so before and there has to be a way to do this without having to higher a Class "B" technician to obtain a display permit.
    There are no state laws about when to shoot fireworks, but each municipality has their own regulations and you would have to talk to the AHJ about what is required.

2) I've had good success now doing simple class "C" fireworks shows for people and I would like to find a way to share my hobby/intrest with other people who would like to pay for the fireworks themself and have me design and shoot the show for their social gatherings.
    This is where you will have to be very careful. If you turn this into a business, then you end up in commerce then its a completely different ball game. The exchange of money from you and someone else will put you in commerce. If they are buying consumer fireworks for a display here in Nebraska from a retailer which is what would need to happen to be legal) you may want to give a display company a call and see what they could do for you. I can tell you that a $2000 1.3 display will be way more impressive then a $2000 retail 1.4 display.

I know a great local display company you may want to contact.
    Last edited by Thanke; September 18th, 2011 at 07:53 AM.

Search on the forum for people trying to start display companies with 1.4. It aint your back yard show anymore so the rules change. You would likely be considered a professional and if Nebraska calls out NFPA1123 then that would apply. Your best course of action would probably be to send Thanke a PM and get a display company to do the show. Probably wouldn't take much to get on the crew doing the show.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Thanke View Post
    There are alot of pyro nerds in NE always looking for a reason to shoot.

The CPSC regulates consumer fireworks at the Federal level, so you won't see much from the ATF. There are no storage requirements for consumer fireworks for the consumers.

There are no State regulations about storing consumer fireworks by consumers.

Yep, There is nothing in writing that says you can, but I can link you to Title 157, chapter 3 which is all of Nebraska fireworks laws and you can see that there is nothing in there that says you cant.

There are no state laws about when to shoot fireworks, but each municipality has their own regulations and you would have to talk to the AHJ about what is required.

This is where you will have to be very careful. If you turn this into a business, then you end up in commerce then its a completely different ball game. The exchange of money from you and someone else will put you in commerce. If they are buying consumer fireworks for a display here in Nebraska from a retailer which is what would need to happen to be legal) you may want to give a display company a call and see what they could do for you. I can tell you that a $2000 1.3 display will be way more impressive then a $2000 retail 1.4 display.

I know a great local display company you may want to contact.
    Thanke as always you've been a big help especially when it comes to Nebraska related questions. I'll shoot you a PM and get some ideas from you. They are a ones who want to purchase the product so I think we should be fine there although to be honest I think they really should do a 1.3g show for the number of spectators they might have. Thanks for your help guys!

Member Array

I can tell you that a $2000 1.3 display will be way more impressive then a $2000 retail 1.4 display.
    This is debatable. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    This is debatable. ;-)
    I suppose it depends on which company you are buying 1.3 from

So True.......
    PGI CERTIFIED DISPLAY OPERATOR
    APA DISPLAY OPERATOR CERTIFICATE
    NEBRASKA PUBLIC FIREWORK DISPLAY OPERATOR
    MISSOURI DISPLAY OPERATOR
    BATFE TYPE 54 USER OF FIREWORKS

Perhaps, but I would argue that it is much more likely to depend on the design of a show rather than the source of the product.
    Guy walks into the local military recruiting office.
    Sergeant says, "So you want to help defend the country?"
    Guy says, "No, I just want salutes."