Thread: crackling fuse?

Default crackling fuse?

I am planning on making a board of some novelty type items and some other small items. Would crackling fuse such as this http://www.onlinefireworks.com/18inchcracklingfuse.aspx be OK or should I use this http://www.onlinefireworks.com/300mm...fuserolls.aspx ??? Also what is the best tape to use when fusing. Sorry for the newb questions but this is how one learns!
    Life down here is just a strange illusion......

APWC

Default Re: crackling fuse?

I like scotch brand electrical tape for fusing.

As long as you connect the fuses properly, any of the options you listed should work.

Good luck!
    "The only rational process those guys are interested in is their re-election strategy."

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Herm Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
    I am planning on making a board of some novelty type items and some other small items. Would crackling fuse such as this http://www.onlinefireworks.com/18inchcracklingfuse.aspx be OK or should I use this http://www.onlinefireworks.com/300mm...fuserolls.aspx ??? Also what is the best tape to use when fusing. Sorry for the newb questions but this is how one learns!
    Foil HVAC tape is what I like the best. Try to find the one with the white sticky side. The clear adhesive loses its effectiveness slightly if exposed to over 100 degree temps for a long period of time.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Member Array NW Fireworks Lover's Avatar

1. Buy fuse from pyrocreations or cannonfuse or pyrodirect, online fireworks is a rip-off!
    2. Use the good foil tape that peeplwtchr recommended, $6-$7 at walmart, and tape about an inch worth of contact.
    3. If using zip ties use 2 spaced about one inch apart, the metal foil tape works better for me than zip ties, and I used to swear by zip ties.

Good luck!
    "I am so smart, s-m-r-t, I am so smart" -Homer Simpson

Member Northwest Pyrotechnics Association

Quote Originally Posted by NW Fireworks Lover View Post
    2. Use the good foil tape that peeplwtchr recommended, $6-$7 at walmart, and tape about an inch worth of contact.
    Problem is.....some of the items have rather short fuses.....don't think I can get a whole inch of contact.

APWC

Quote Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
    Problem is.....some of the items have rather short fuses.....don't think I can get a whole inch of contact.
    Even a half inch totally incased in the foil tape is more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
    You should be using TWO zip-ties per item. One to connect the fuse another to hold the tip of the item fuse to the main fuse.

APWC/ NPA/ WPA
    Tech copies: Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice shame on me!

Quote Originally Posted by leeca View Post
    You should be using TWO zip-ties per item. One to connect the fuse another to hold the tip of the item fuse to the main fuse.

Nicely edited!

Even a half inch totally incased in the foil tape is more than enough
    OK...thanks...I can make that happen.

APWC

The foil tape works best for me because the metal has a built in "oven" effect, trapping all the fire. Had 100% passfire this 4th using that tape for the first time, and it was faster for me with less fuss than zip ties.

The foil tape works best for me because the metal has a built in "oven" effect, trapping all the fire. Had 100% passfire this 4th using that tape for the first time, and it was faster for me with less fuss than zip ties.
    Yep-tried them all, Foil Tape is by far the best.

I usually use two on shells but i wouldn't use two on fountains or cones, the pic was made for him as he said his fuses are short and he did not know how to use the ties. Tape hides what's going on underneath, i like seeing what's going on.

On Labor day i ran out of time and had to get it done, so i used 1 zip per shell and had 100% pass fire using 1 tie on 45 shells? Will i use 2 next time? Yes, if the fuse is long enough.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

You can always extend the fuses on items too.
    "The only rational process those guys are interested in is their re-election strategy."

"A goal without a plan is just a wish." - Herm Edwards

I usually use two on shells but i wouldn't use two on fountains or cones, the pic was made for him as he said his fuses are short and he did not know how to use the ties. Tape hides what's going on underneath, i like seeing what's going on.

On Labor day i ran out of time and had to get it done, so i used 1 zip per shell and had 100% pass fire using 1 tie on 45 shells? Will i use 2 next time? Yes, if the fuse is long enough.
    Sounds good, wasn't trying to undermine your graphic. One time I used only one zip tie and the results were less than spectacular, that was before I found this site and fireworks turned into an obsession.

Here's some fuse testing I did last year. There is a bunch of crackling fuse in there too... hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL918A54EF87BFE84D
    Fireworks....yay!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrokid View Post
    You can always extend the fuses on items too.
    Yea, i mentioned that to him in PM.

Sounds good, wasn't trying to undermine your graphic. One time I used only one zip tie and the results were less than spectacular, that was before I found this site and fireworks turned into an obsession.
    Never thought you was

Regardless of what everyone says, it's all in personal preference. I suggest trying a couple different ways and deciding which you like best.

You got lucky.

The main reason people have failure using zip-ties is because they did it wrong. I should have also added that the ends of the item fuse should be cut at the tips at a 45 degree angle to expose as much of the black powder core as possible. Using only one zip tie will not direct the fire from the main fuse to the black powder core of the item fuse. If you are using fast Visco on your main fuse the odds of not passing fire will increase as well. I learned this the hard way and had to concede to just doing it right.
    APWC/ NPA/ WPA

You got lucky.

The main reason people have failure using zip-ties is because they did it wrong. I should have also added that the ends of the item fuse should be cut at the tips at a 45 degree angle to expose as much of the black powder core as possible. Using only one zip tie will not direct the fire from the main fuse to the black powder core of the item fuse. If you are using fast Visco on your main fuse the odds of not passing fire will increase as well. I learned this the hard way and had to concede to just doing it right.
    I agree. I probably should have also mentioned that the cans i shot had fuse that was dipped in BP... Do you still cut when they are dipped?

Also, what if the fuse is to short on the "novelty items" for two zips?

Fuse on Artillery shells is more often than not good grade fast Visco and the odds are not as great as not being able to pass fire to fireworks that just use regular cheap Visco like cakes. Some cakes just have some CRAP fuse. I have had some cakes that the fuse was so bad the only way I could ensure they would lite was to do the 2 zip-ties technique and wrap slow sticky match around the connections as a pyrogenic to get them to lite. PITA... Yes! But it got the job done.
    APWC/ NPA/ WPA

Fuse on Artillery shells is more often than not good grade fast Visco and the odds are not as great as not being able to pass fire to fireworks that just use regular cheap Visco like cakes. Some cakes just have some CRAP fuse.
    Good point, the whole "crappy fuse on cakes" thing is something ive noticed for years.....

You got lucky.

+1 on cutting at an angle, works 100% with talons when the nichrome wire touches the cut away core. This thread has some great info! For the OP, I just checked pyrocreations' site and they have crackling fuse for $8.75 for 50 feet. They also have 100 precut strips of crackling fuse for 4-5 dollars, and the ends are primed! I will test some soon. Overall the reviews I have seen rate the crackling fuse from pyrocreations better than the stuff from cannonfuse. Here is a cool vid of the crackling fuse attached to a sky lantern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xghWzb6Ms

Cool effect!

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    Here's some fuse testing I did last year. There is a bunch of crackling fuse in there too... hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL918A54EF87BFE84D
    Thanks that was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by peeplwtchr View Post
    Yep-tried them all, Foil Tape is by far the best.
    I think I will try the tape for this first effort since I can easily get it at WalMart.

Thanks all for the help!

APWC

Cool effect, scary combo Sky lanterns ans crackling fuse.

I can just see the guys from Texas reaction to that idea.
    APWC/ NPA/ WPA

Here is a cool vid of the crackling fuse attached to a sky lantern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4xghWzb6Ms

Cool effect!
    Cool effect, scary combo Sky lanterns ans crackling fuse.

I can just see the guys from Texas reaction to that idea.
    APWC/ NPA/ WPA

to chime in, I use the 2 zip tie technique without cutting at a 45 angle on alot of my shells ( i have 15in guns so i have to extend fuses) and on every cake i fire off in a chain ( I will extend the fuse by seconds required with 2 zip ties to to my quickmatch) and have had exactly 0 problems with 600+ zip ties used this 4th of july alone. its 99.9% perfect.

Crackling fuse works for this on boards but I find it draws attention down to the fuse and the noise/light that its making away from the shells/cakes etc that one is trying to showcase. But I do like it hanging from sky lanterns as it a very cool effect.
    PGI CERTIFIED DISPLAY OPERATOR
    APA DISPLAY OPERATOR CERTIFICATE
    NEBRASKA PUBLIC FIREWORK DISPLAY OPERATOR
    MISSOURI DISPLAY OPERATOR
    BATFE TYPE 54 USER OF FIREWORKS