Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wives / girlfriend on your case too? Any secret tips are welcome

Default Re: Wives / girlfriend on your case too? Any secret tips are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrohobie View Post
    Yea- I bet your wife bought a 2012 Camaro and showed you the weight(as for the price) and you bought that also
    i'd run out of fingers trying to hand count the customers who do it every time they come to the shop.

it happens once a week, once a day this time of year.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by St1dinoh View Post
    when you pick up an order from us here at millers, there is a section on the pick list that shows the total weight of your order... that number is almost always lower than the total price of your order.

for example (actual order):

Wt: 10,747.20
    SubTotal: 21,075.28

as you can imagine showing her the weight from the pick list goes over a lot better than showing her the total price from the invoice.

it makes things easier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrohobie View Post
    Yea- I bet your wife bought a 2012 Camaro and showed you the weight(as for the price) and you bought that also
    The guys that got by using that trick must have some of those real cute and real dumb trophy wife's. My old lady would not get fooled by that for one second. Shezz my old lady can tell me to the dime how much money I have on me at any time. Oh god I could just imagine what would happen if my wife were to see a Phantom catalog and come to the conclusion that I had been that kind of money on Pyro all these years. Do not allow your old lady to see a Phantom catalog!
    APWC/ NPA/ WPA
    Tech copies: Fool me once shame on you... Fool me twice shame on me!

I can't imagine having to hide my pyro purchases from my girl. Oh wait....she buys me cases!!! Lugs racks and drops shells like no tomorrow too!!! And she's having her coffee this morning marking what seminars she wants to attend at PGI this year. Crazy lucky I guess!!!
    Last edited by Old Pyro; June 3rd, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
    VA Certified Pyrotechnician-Aerial
    New Hampshire Pyrotechnics Assn.
    Crackerjacks
    MAPAG
    NLPC
    PGI

First of all- in any marriage, honesty is always the best policy.

If your lying to her-is she lying to you also?

MONEY is the biggest reason of any divorce. If you spending money on what she thinks is stupid, you better let her spend some on what you think is stupid. If the marriage cannot support that, something has to give.

If fireworks can make some money that she can spend-good, more power to you.

TIME-another big factor. If you have pleanty of time to spend on fireworks-you better have time to spend with her. Also, she better have time to spend on what she thinks she wants to do. You got your time-she gets her time. But, when it gets to "his" time and "her" time-you better watch out because you might as well be single-you need "together" time.

If your lying on some of these issues-maybe she doing the same on "real" issues when your doing your "pyro" thing.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

edit
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Its simple

Simply state:

I work all year long, 50-60 hours a week. You have your hair, your nails, your toes, your lunch outings with friends, dance lessons with the girls and much much more.
    simply add all of that up and I am sure it will beat the $3500 I spend on fireworks and supplies ONE time a year. It is a fine balance and to this date my wife and I have not had any problems with it.

I have to partially agree with pyrohobie, you spend on what you want and I spend on what I want. Find the balance and all is well.

I must be really lucky to have my wife be as supportive as she is. She bought me my first 20q wireless system and went with me to her first demo this year! She helps watch the kids or gets a sitter so I can work on my annual show, and has even designed this years t-shirt, handled the t-shirt order, and has been working on a "to do" list for the past month now. As far as the money, she tells everyone that I don't drink, don't hunt, and don't have any other hobbies/vices so whatever I can afford to spend without hampering the family budget is fine with her. Like I said, I'm just lucky.
    KCAP - Charter Member

I am supported 100% by my wife, she even goes as far as suggesting items to buy....if she likes the name... No Crackle though, she hates crackle. Our anniversary is July 1, so,,,there is always some fireworks then.

yeah ive had this problem, also. pyro-hating woman. likes to tell me it's childish and boring and all that. she doesn't get it . i feel your pain . (bill clinton voice, hehe ).
    P.G.I. Cert.
    Bada bing bada boom !

i do know however, that there are plenty o'ladies who are fully into pyro. and don't hate on it . i need to find one of those ...
    P.G.I. Cert.
    Bada bing bada boom !

Guys, guys, guys--- just like you need to find the girl who can suck a golf ball through the garden hose. While 90% of guys live for "sex" 10% of the women are the same. Pyrotechnics are not that far off either.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

My discussion is normaly pretty simple when it comes to this, "its both my job and my hobby, dont be upset with me because i INTENTIONALLY went into a field i LOVE! Then i say a could be normal and pick up an expensive hoppy outside of work if youd like?"... End of discussion!
    CDL-B w/ HAZ-MAT

I have the opposite problem. My (common-law) wife loves fireworks. The problem is that I use my money to buy them and she uses my money to buy them. Also theres no one to tell me when I'm going overboard (I have been told it is possible but still don't belive it), on the plus side I do always have a camerawoman to record while I shoot.

My missus cracks the shits because I have to work most Friday and Saturday Nights, as supportive as she is and comes out to nearly every job with me, she hates me dealing with DJ's and Nightclubs (I only do indoor and theatrical pyrotechnics and fx at the moment)

Offer her to help you and if you can both attend the P.G.I convention or a local shoot and see if it eases her fears,if not give her a lifetime supply of zanax
    Where's the Rum?
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    member of C.F.P
    Proud member of F.P.A.G

just do what you want.
    if its ok with her of course!

Quote Originally Posted by little bang View Post
    Offer her to help you and if you can both attend the P.G.I convention or a local shoot and see if it eases her fears,if not give her a lifetime supply of zanax
    First of all- you didn't see he is from Australia. I really don't think they have many if any clubs down under. If I could have offered my wife a trip to Australia or to a PGI convention-I'd be divorce if I took the convention.

As for the Aussie- your wife has to remember this is work. It may suck but if it pays the bills(hopefully it pays the bills)-that is your job. If it is something that is your "dream" and is not paying the bills-get another job and use the extra money you get off the gigs on her. She will look differently at something she is reaping the rewards off something your doing.
    Last edited by Pyrohobie; October 23rd, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Member Array

Some of you guys in this thread need to man up.
    Chicago Lights Pyro

Quote Originally Posted by strobes View Post
    Some of you guys in this thread need to man up.
    In any marriage there is give and take-sometimes you have to be smart when to give and when to take. Too much one way or another and you will be either divorce OR miserable which leads to divorce.

If you want it all one way-don't get married.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackersam View Post
    I gotta disagree with the majority...I wouldn't dump a girlfriend just because she doesn't like pyro. There are a lot more things to life than pyro..
    There is? I can only think of 4 things, I wouldnt call that "alot" pyro, eat, sleep, and well #4 she's currently the only source for. It's a delicate balance between 1 & 4 if she tampers with either the others gotta go up or your outta here.

The most important things in life:

1. Yourself-you have to keep yourself physically and mentally prepared for things that will come at you.
    2. Your family-you have to watch over them for anything coming at them for life.
    3-job/church
    4-This is where you can start adding things in there what are important to you.

If you screw the order up-and put other things ahead of the others
    -your wife will no longer be there
    -you will no longer have a family
    -you will be mentally and physically exhausted and probably lose your job also.

I love pyrotechnics for the past for over 45 years-accidents,business traveling, the love of the hobby, autisic sons-have all put a burden on a marriage. Still married(over 25 years) and still have a love for the hobby/business-but a person has to realize where to draw the line if you want to have a relationship.

Being single is great also-I'd rather be married and give the hobby/business up than be single again.

Some may not and that is thier business.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

First my wife is awesome, has a user name here, attends the PGI, and builds things on occassion. I don't have much there to worry about. Now how did we get here? As Pyrohobbie says...priorites. Mine are close to his but slightly different...

1. Church -- If you get this right, which many people don't, the rest are taken care of. What many don't realize is that one of the key elements in the bible is that you first take care of your family. People forget that.
    2. Family -- If you have kids take the time to be with them. Every minute you spend with them when they are young will be rewarded tenfold when they are older. My boys are already deep into pyro. The instructions are not "don't play with fire", they are "don't play with fire when I'm not there". As many have heard me state my daughter will likely be the youngest old snort at the PGI ever. She will attend her tenth convention when she is 9 years and 2 weeks old. Yes, my wife did attend the PGI with me two weeks after giving birth. Did I say she is awsome? We work together on things. I've encouraged her to have a life and go out with her friends. In return I go out at times. We agree on our budget before we even start. If your wife doesn't want you to spend money then talk about why. Is the money not there? Then she has a point. Are you asking to spend a disproportionate amount of money on something that she doesn't care for?
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

After 33 years of marriage all I have to do is remember to book a hotel with an indoor pool when we travel for club shoots and I'm golden.
    Member NLPC/PGI/MAPAG
    De. shooters license
    NJ Blasters license
    Philadelphia indoor flame effect operator
    MAFF 2011 MAFF 2012 PGI 2013 MAPAG 2014

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by goneshootin View Post
    After 33 years of marriage all I have to do is remember to book a hotel with an indoor pool when we travel for club shoots and I'm golden.
    LOL... I will remember this one... since its only 7 yrs of marriage for me..

Hey Pyrohobie!

Unfortunetly your right, there are no clubs or conventions in Australia! Would love to have some pyro friends down under!

The missus understands that it is work but she works 9-5 so weekends she doesn't have to work and I do so she cracks the shits when I have to virtually work every weekend and she seems to not be able to understand that as much as it is a dream and passion it is also work and a job and regardless that I am self employed, I can't and won't pick and choose clients like she would like me to! The industry is small enough as it is so I gotta take it while its there.

Women, can't live with them... can't shoot them!

There is a lot of truth in this one! Whatever works!
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Quote Originally Posted by stuntborg View Post
    First my wife is awesome, has a user name here, attends the PGI, and builds things on occassion. I don't have much there to worry about. Now how did we get here? As Pyrohobbie says...priorites. Mine are close to his but slightly different...

1. Church -- If you get this right, which many people don't, the rest are taken care of. What many don't realize is that one of the key elements in the bible is that you first take care of your family. People forget that.
    2. Family -- If you have kids take the time to be with them. Every minute you spend with them when they are young will be rewarded tenfold when they are older. My boys are already deep into pyro. The instructions are not "don't play with fire", they are "don't play with fire when I'm not there". As many have heard me state my daughter will likely be the youngest old snort at the PGI ever. She will attend her tenth convention when she is 9 years and 2 weeks old. Yes, my wife did attend the PGI with me two weeks after giving birth. Did I say she is awsome? We work together on things. I've encouraged her to have a life and go out with her friends. In return I go out at times. We agree on our budget before we even start. If your wife doesn't want you to spend money then talk about why. Is the money not there? Then she has a point. Are you asking to spend a disproportionate amount of money on something that she doesn't care for?

Stunt-

The only reason I didn't put church that high is that I have know persons that would attend church every week and when they came out screw thier fellow man. If going to church makes you a christian-then going to your gargage makes you a car. It's what's inside the man that makes the man-church helps-but it's not the only factor.

If ones follows the golden rule-they will be fine.
    MPAG/PGI member
    Type 54/ IV storage

Quote Originally Posted by pyroliffic View Post
    LOL... I will remember this one... since its only 7 yrs of marriage for me..
    7 years in to my marriage I probably would have had to book a hotel with a pool AND put a dozen roses in the room.
    Member NLPC/PGI/MAPAG
    De. shooters license
    NJ Blasters license
    Philadelphia indoor flame effect operator
    MAFF 2011 MAFF 2012 PGI 2013 MAPAG 2014

I don't need the pool, just a decent hotel and I'm golden. She'll come out to shoots, and several of you have met her, but she prefers a place to read during the day, then watch the show at night.
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

Am I the only one who sees irony in the fact that this is posted in the "Safety" forum?

I guess depending on the state of one's marriage, it might be appropriate.

In my case, married 10 years. The wife doesn't get excited about pyro like me, nor does she particulary enjoy the products of my "real" job. But she likes watching me have fun, and she has some fairly costly hobbies herself. So it's a win all around for us.

We are blessed to be in a solid position financially, so our arguments rarely revolve around money or what either of us spends on hobbies. Usually it's parenting differences. Like " How old does Andy have to be before he can light a shell". Still trying to hash that one out...
    BATF 54, PGI, BPG, Dad, The Coaster Guy