Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wives / girlfriend on your case too? Any secret tips are welcome

Snakes and Sparklers Array HerrLoll's Avatar

Default Re: Wives / girlfriend on your case too? Any secret tips are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by bd911 View Post
    Based on the above I would trade her in for a new model. Or perform an experiment. Start a new hobby. Buy a used Harley that needs work. Once that hobby gets you hooked I'd being willing bet my savings that you would hear the exact same words (as above) come out of her mouth. Now naturally I have no idea what type of person you or your gf are, and you have asked for the communities opinions, but based on above I would leave her and maybe date her sister, or cousin.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by smacker View Post
    my ex-girlfriend hated fireworks...
    Smart guy...

Quote Originally Posted by odbo255 View Post
    1) Stop doing pyro
    2) Start drinking. Heavily
    3) When asked say, "I dunno, I just feel so depressed lately..." (drink some more)
    4) Start doing pyro again when you are begged to cheer up and stop drinking

No more complaining.
    That sounds like taking my ol' "at least I'm not an alcoholic womanizer" line to the next level. Niiice.
    Asking a true pyro how much a show cost to put on is like asking an artist how much a painting costed to paint... It's a ridiculous and stupid question.

Member Array

Great thread OP!

My girlfriend likes fireworks for about twenty minutes at a time maybe even for a whole evening on the night of the show for the 4th. For example when people were passing a hat around and she got to say "that's my boyfriend out there", that made her night and then seeing the responce we got from the crowd after the show was awesome too. Things like best show yet and the starting of plans for next years party, ext... But overall she would probably be just as happy going to a town display for fireworks. However she did say to many different people how out show was better than the local town show we saw this year. Which makes any pyro feel goo

i thank you all for the advice...but dumping her is not an option...i love her, i was just wondering if she would eventually come around. if i had a permit or was in a state without such strict laws i think it'd be a different story

I know she doesn't like what I spend on them. She's not too keen on the time a spend working on them. But she loves the shows when I shoot them.

None of that has changed in the 20+ years I've been with her. I doubt it ever will.
    if you trust in yourself...
    and believe in your dreams...
    and follow your star...
    you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Pladman View Post
    i thank you all for the advice...but dumping her is not an option...i love her, i was just wondering if she would eventually come around. if i had a permit or was in a state without such strict laws i think it'd be a different story
    Hey pladman,

I'm pretty sure there are some clubs in your area that have shoots a few times a year. Maybe you could get her to attend one with you and ease her into it that way.

most of the shoots in PA are like out by pittsburg....im in the philly area, i cant see her driving for 6 hours to "watch people blow shit up and talk about blowing shit up, and compare notes on how they blow shit up" haha to quote her

Quote Originally Posted by UnkleSAM View Post
    I know she doesn't like what I spend on them. But she loves the shows when I shoot them.
    Same here! Have to buy "secretly"
    Life down here is just a strange illusion......

APWC

The man behind the madness Array Diamond Dave's Avatar

most of the shoots in PA are like out by pittsburg....im in the philly area, i cant see her driving for 6 hours to "watch people blow shit up and talk about blowing shit up, and compare notes on how they blow shit up" haha to quote her

You need to dump this girl now. If you got it this bad now, wait till you get married. Then you will know what hell is all about. You can kiss your pyro shooting days goodbye.

Diamond Dave
    America
    Land of the free......Because of the brave

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    You need to dump this girl now. If you got it this bad now, wait till you get married. Then you will know what hell is all about. You can kiss your pyro shooting days goodbye.

Diamond Dave
    Dave, you hit the nail on the head! Plad, you may be in serious trouble in a few years, get a vasectomy now so you don't have to pay her for the rest of your life!

Diamond Dave
    10/4 on that. You'll lose everything. Your Pyro, Clubs, Friends, Hobbies, Assets, Freedom, Home, Marriage and Children. Then it gets REAL BAD.
    Good Luck;
    "PH"
    Member;
    Northern Lights Pyro Club
    PGI and Certified
    WNYPA/NYPA
    The Fireworks Alliance

That is pyro blasphemy!!
    MEMBER OF THE P.G.I.
    MEMBER OF HPA
    HPA 1%ER
    ORIGINAL "RED SOLO CUP CREW" MEMBER....
    SUPPORT THE 2nd AMENDMENT AND THE REST OF YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
    Same here! Have to buy "secretly"
    I also sometimes buy "secretly"

Member Array

my 2 year old says "daddy fireworks" every time i grab a torch and a device with a fuse attached. my wife doesn't necessarily "love" fireworks...she does like them though, and she likes coming around to different parts of the country (when time permits...for her) for various shoots. she'll generally take the car to the mall or something, and show up when it's dark out. she doesn't get on my case really...if she ever did...i'd lay down the law.

Diamond Dave
    It might sound bad, but he's right. I don't claim to be a relationship expert, but if you don't tolerate or support things that make the other happy, the relationship is doomed from the beginning. I don't think you need to share the same passions, everyone likes time with away from your significant other, but you still need to respect that their hobbies. (Unless she's such a bitch her only hobby is making men miserable)
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

Member Array NW Fireworks Lover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by r1dermon View Post
    my 2 year old says "daddy fireworks" every time i grab a torch and a device with a fuse attached. my wife doesn't necessarily "love" fireworks...she does like them though, and she likes coming around to different parts of the country (when time permits...for her) for various shoots. she'll generally take the car to the mall or something, and show up when it's dark out. she doesn't get on my case really...if she ever did...i'd lay down the law.
    I thought I was the only one whose fireworks alibi was a toddler!
    "I am so smart, s-m-r-t, I am so smart" -Homer Simpson

Member Northwest Pyrotechnics Association

Quote Originally Posted by NW Fireworks Lover View Post
    I thought I was the only one whose fireworks alibi was a toddler!
    I use that as well

Seriously though...whatever your hobby, if your girlfriend does not respect your hobby...whatever the hobby is and trys to keep you from it what does that say for the long term relationship. Is she going to be one of those wifes that controllers your life or one of those wifes that accepts you for who you are with all of your faults and strengths?
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

I'm NOT new! Array firecrackersam's Avatar

I gotta disagree with the majority...I wouldn't dump a girlfriend just because she doesn't like pyro. There are a lot more things to life than pyro..
    Owner, Capital Pyro
    PyroU Discount Code: PYROU5
    Member Cali Pyros
    Fireworks rule, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackersam View Post
    There are a lot more things to life than pyro..
    I will let you ponder this quote for a while sam! I hope you have the right answer come test time.
    MEMBER OF THE P.G.I.
    MEMBER OF HPA
    HPA 1%ER
    ORIGINAL "RED SOLO CUP CREW" MEMBER....
    SUPPORT THE 2nd AMENDMENT AND THE REST OF YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

I gotta disagree with the majority...I wouldn't dump a girlfriend just because she doesn't like pyro. There are a lot more things to life than pyro..
    I dont think thats what the majority were getting at, they were getting at her not supporting him, and if she cant even support him now and not married, it will only get worse once marrier, trust me, i went down this road and it was very bad------its give and take, and thats the bottom line
    Class A CDL w/HazMat
    PGI Member
    NLPC member
    PA Pyro artist member

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-fire79 View Post
    I dont think thats what the majority were getting at, they were getting at her not supporting him, and if she cant even support him now and not married, it will only get worse once marrier, trust me, i went down this road and it was very bad------its give and take, and thats the bottom line
    +1.

It isn't about the pyro. It is about supporting your spouse and the things that make them happy. I don't ask that my wife goes to every shoot with me or jumps in head first with my hobbies, just that she knows I enjoy them and does not give me grief. I give her the same respect in return.
    Member of HPA

"A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize you are blessed for what you have."

Quote Originally Posted by nater219 View Post
    +1.

It isn't about the pyro. It is about supporting your spouse and the things that make them happy. I don't ask that my wife goes to every shoot with me or jumps in head first with my hobbies, just that she knows I enjoy them and does not give me grief. I give her the same respect in return.
    Yup, with fireworks and high power rocketry I have always sensed a jealousness from the wifey...she works very hard raising 2 wonderful boys and has never had a hobby. She now is making her own hair bows and hair clips and hopes to make extra money selling them at collectors markets and such. Just the other day we were both in "my" garage, and she was making bows while I was fusing some boards, I think we have found the give and take happy medium! I havent yet mustered up the balls to ask if we can use the profits from her hobby to help pay for mine.

Its not the pyro its the support. Marrage is give and take. I support my wife and encourage her to do things without me. In turn she does the same for me. It creates a healthier envirnment. If she didn't support me in my hobbies...doesn't have to like them but does have to accept them then live wouldn't be all that much fun.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

MEMBER PGI
    Charter Member PTPG Fargo, ND

www.brookings-black-powder-fireworks.com

I'm NOT new! Array firecrackersam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stuntborg View Post
    Its not the pyro its the support. Marrage is give and take. I support my wife and encourage her to do things without me. In turn she does the same for me. It creates a healthier envirnment. If she didn't support me in my hobbies...doesn't have to like them but does have to accept them then live wouldn't be all that much fun.
    I understand now, I think I misunderstood what you all were saying before.
    Owner, Capital Pyro
    PyroU Discount Code: PYROU5
    Member Cali Pyros
    Fireworks rule, nuff said.

I havent yet mustered up the balls to ask if we can use the profits from her hobby to help pay for mine.
    Name:  rofl.gif
Views: 23
Size:  17.6 KB
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

.. I havent yet mustered up the balls to ask if we can use the profits from her hobby to help pay for mine.
    I wouldn't go anywhere near that, for any reason, at any time. I know (or am whipped) better than that. Besides, she doesn't touch any money I make from pyro.
    Member of HPA

Quote Originally Posted by nater219 View Post
    I wouldn't go anywhere near that, for any reason, at any time. I know (or am whipped) better than that. Besides, she doesn't touch any money I make from pyro.
    Oh most definitely I too am whipped just enough to stay out of the doghouse or courtroom.

i think i forgot to mention that currently the only place i can shoot is her house...and her neighbors hate it and electric rain shells are loud...
    Last edited by Pladman; August 16th, 2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: pleadin' the 5th

i think i forgot to mention that currently the only place i can shoot is her house...and her neighbors hate it and electric rain shells are loud...
    That's exactly why I suggested dating her sister or cousin. Just playing Plad, goodluck.

Quote Originally Posted by bd911 View Post
    That's exactly why I suggested dating her sister or cousin. Just playing Plad, goodluck.
    shes cuter than her cousin.....and i do love her, 3yrs with her in oct...i jokingly said id do a special fireworks show for the milestone...she did not think it was funny...AT ALL

I havent yet mustered up the balls to ask if we can use the profits from her hobby to help pay for mine.
    Northwest Pyros Unite!
    NPAclub.org