Thread: big fireworks now apperently has new kentucky locations

Default big fireworks now apperently has new kentucky locations

well according to there website big has opened 5 new stores in lexington and 3 in louisville and 3 in florence, 1 in bellevue and 1 in covington and whatnot... take a look here

http://www.bigfireworks.com/locations.aspx?id=Kentucky

im interested in the louisville stores mainly because the revised ordinance for fireworks regulation passed, as far as i know if the full committee votes for it all works will be legal to sell and use in louisville metro instead of being totally banned. it did pass the safety committe for approval... you can view that here ---> http://agendas.louisvilleky.gov/SIRE...1025752312.PDF

Default Re: big fireworks now apperently has new kentucky locations

Quote Originally Posted by thumperanddaphne View Post
    well according to there website big has opened 5 new stores in lexington and 3 in louisville and 3 in florence, 1 in bellevue and 1 in covington and whatnot... take a look here

http://www.bigfireworks.com/locations.aspx?id=Kentucky

im interested in the louisville stores mainly because the revised ordinance for fireworks regulation passed, as far as i know if the full committee votes for it all works will be legal to sell and use in louisville metro instead of being totally banned. it did pass the safety committe for approval... you can view that here ---> http://agendas.louisvilleky.gov/SIRE...1025752312.PDF
    Yeah I knew this was going to happen, and is just the start! i thought however the distributors would not want to open a business where the sale of 500 gram cakes was still not authorized, however It appears they will see what they can get by with! The next question is are these year around establishments or seasonal only! I was wondering why business has been extremely slow this year, Now I know why! May be my last year in business! We will await and see! it is amazing all of the roaside mom and pop stands that are already opening up that do not meet the NFPA 1124 requirements within HB333 and those also operationg without any licenses or permits! I jumped through hoops this year just to be legal to sell and these whom are operating illlegally just chap my A**!

Light up the sky! Array PYROBOOM's Avatar

Awesome. I could go to the Covington location on my lunch break! Nice to see them expanding.
    PGI Member PYROBOOM, LLC

The new law isn't the greatest but after the 4th we will see if it regresses laws further or is a nudge in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by BSP View Post
    Yeah I knew this was going to happen, and is just the start! i thought however the distributors would not want to open a business where the sale of 500 gram cakes was still not authorized, however It appears they will see what they can get by with! The next question is are these year around establishments or seasonal only! I was wondering why business has been extremely slow this year, Now I know why! May be my last year in business! We will await and see! it is amazing all of the roaside mom and pop stands that are already opening up that do not meet the NFPA 1124 requirements within HB333 and those also operationg without any licenses or permits! I jumped through hoops this year just to be legal to sell and these whom are operating illlegally just chap my A**!

i still question that too, but i went by one here in lexington just a little while ago... its in a old circuit city building on nicholasville rd. its a pretty big store from what i saw... they carry the entire line of fireworks and said the would be selling year around according to the manager. so we shall see how this ball rolls as it goes along.

I just happened upon the one in Florence. It's pretty sweet seeing that kind of stuff in ky!

nice... do you know if they were or if they are carrying the full product line? or not,

Post removed by me....nevermind..
    BATFE Type 54 Permitted
    God bless the USA

The sale of 500g cakes is allowed. I refer you to this post http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...614#post500614 post#147

I just stopped at a store in Radcliff, KY and they were stocked with 500g cakes. The outfit was someone I never heard of from Indiana and we had a brief dicussion on the confusing wording of the law. She said they asked the Fire Marshals specificly about all that they carried.
    John 3:16
    John 14:6

In God We Trust

At least we know where all the massive strobe's went to!
    Fireworks....yay!

Quote Originally Posted by smoke bomb View Post
    The sale of 500g cakes is allowed. I refer you to this post http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...614#post500614 post#147

I just stopped at a store in Radcliff, KY and they were stocked with 500g cakes. The outfit was someone I never heard of from Indiana and we had a brief dicussion on the confusing wording of the law. She said they asked the Fire Marshals specificly about all that they carried.
    Not pressing the issue, however HB 333 specifically states:
    The term "cake" refers to a dense-packed collection of mine or shell tubes. Total chemical composition including lift charges of any multiple tube devices may not exceed two hundred (200) grams.

copied directly from HB333, The fact the Fire Marshalls office does not know is just a matter of time prior to it being enforced or changed. They are quite overwhelmed this year with the law change as I talked with them on several occasions and confused they were!

Can you have wholesale shipped to these stores and would it be any cheaper?

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by sirdanny View Post
    Can you have wholesale shipped to these stores and would it be any cheaper?
    I would call the main office and ask.

BSP I was as dogmatic about the 200g limit as you are but now I'm going with the 500g crowd. I read the HB333 many times and came up with the same conclusion as you. When I spoke with the Fire Marshals office the fellow said as long as the cake meet the 500g construction 1/2" spacing and all then yes you can sell 500g cakes. A fellow in KY that has personally worked with the law makers in Frankfort about parts of this law has assured me the the sale of 500g cakes is legal. I'm not saying he had anything to do with the writing of this law but that he has worked with law makers. I am sure of one thing and that is that there will be some people diligently trying to follow the law that will be meet with resistance by some authorities because of the confusion of this poorly worded law.

I am very grateful for this new law and don't want to sound like I am not. I just wish lawmakers would stop trying to show us how intelligent they are with all this high falutin jargon. Just write the bills/laws in a way that every average citizen can understand and then there would be a lot less contradiction, misunderstanding, misinterpretation, inadequacy, malfeasance, malevolence, intertextuality... Just stop with the legalese. If the average person can understand it then the law makers, enforcers, business owners and customers will understand and know no one is breaking any law.

BSP where do you stand on the total artillery shell kit limits. 400g or more.

This law is still in it's infancy so hopefully it will be tweeked and adjusted over time.
    John 3:16
    John 14:6

In God We Trust

I don't agree with the 400 limit on artillery kits! I too hope they fix the issues! It has already Damietta my business this year with all the mom and pop shops and Bigs opening stores! It is just a matter of time until the lack of business shuts me down totally on sales of 1.4G! The sad part all the retail chains will send the money back to home offices out of state while shutting down businessesof the fellow Kentuckians!

I just saw on my local news the police were shutting the Big's tents down in Florence. I caught the tail end of it so don't know the complete details

Here's what happened in Florence...

HB333 indeed amend KRS 217 to essentially allow sales and use of 1.4 as defined within the KRS as "consumer fireworks" (I am not going to address the 200 / 500 g cake issue, as the definition of consumer firework in the KRS defines cake as 200g but does not define an alternate category of 500g, leaving some confusion that ought to get cleared up). Bigs and a few others obtained permits from Boone County and City of Florence to sell the 1.4 product. Bigs wanted to establish a shop inside the old Circuit City Building on Mall Road, but when some folks at the City caught wind that the permits were not worded to explicity prohibit indoor permanent building sales, some folks in Boone County and Florence admin panicked.

To prevent Bigs from setting up permanent, they sought an injunction to prevent Bigs from moving product into the building. Bigs then asked the court to reject the injunction since they already had a permit for what Florence thought was a tent. So to cover their asses, City of Florence dug up some idiotic rule in the Boone County Planning & Zoning that they claimed prohibited the sale of anything except Safe & Sane in tents OR in buildings. They asked the judge to rule in their favor while they reviewed the zoning regulations. In the meantime, the tent folks who were already permitted, set up and in full retail swing, got caught in the new zoning ruling which the judge allowed.

So Boone County issued letters to all tent retailers stating that they had to cease all sales of anything other than the previously allowed items before HB333 passed. Kind of crappy and a really stupid move to PREVENT revenue generation and SPEND more money on legal issues.

HOWEVER, from what I saw, most tent retailers gave Boone County a big middle finger and kept right on selling through the holiday including the BIGs tent right next to my office. When I asked the lady at the tent if she got the letter from the County, she proudly displayed it and told me her lawyer recommended she stay open for business until the cops literally shoes up with handcuffs.

Of course the cops never showed up with handcuffs...Boone County likely would have been in a world of hurt if they did.

FWIW, my next door neighbor is a Deputy Fire Marshall in Boone County. His take on the whole thing is that the local laws should be rewritten to exactly mirror the new KRS text. He ASLO has stated that he interprets the local regulations to allow all 1.4 and that 1.4 can be legally discharged without a permit, even in city of Union. Since he is in charge of enforcement, even if there is legal wrangling with spect to sales, I am now comfortable that DISCHARGE up to 500g will not be met with any sort of Official enforcement action.

I called Big about a week ago and was told that these locations were only seasonal tents. Is this the case with every one?

Does anyone know if any are open "year round" in Louisville, either the Preston or Dixie Hwy?

these apperently were just seasonal tents, talking with big over in clarksville and many other fireworks businesses, they are waiting off for a while as currently cities are trying to reenact previous bans and or restrictions on fireworks in kentucky even though the state law is in effect. an example being Jefferson county and Fayette county and Franklin county and the city of Florence. its just a wait and see game.

Quote Originally Posted by massimo View Post
    I called Big about a week ago and was told that these locations were only seasonal tents.
    This is true...

I heard they are trying to go permanent next year...
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Does anybody know if Bigs has a permament location near Lexington, KY for 2012? Or are any of the tents open yet? I'm about an hour drive from Lex so I would love to have some info before driving up. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KYchallenger View Post
    Does anybody know if Bigs has a permament location near Lexington, KY for 2012? Or are any of the tents open yet? I'm about an hour drive from Lex so I would love to have some info before driving up. Thanks!
    I carry the BIG's product line! Pm me for details!
    ATF Type 54 Permitted, Type IV Magazine,
    PGI Member
    , BPG Member,Owner, Pyro Depot LLC. Class C 1.4G Sales,
    KY Certified Firefighter, Hazmat Tech 1
    U.S. Military Demolitions Training

Quote Originally Posted by BSP View Post
    I carry the BIG's product line! Pm me for details!
    Any new word on BIGS in lex I went to Indiana and got mine again this year but really want another case or two of pro shells, hd shells and maybey a black hole sun and a crazy bitch .

Just saw the first BIGS tent getting ready to open on Lees Town rd FYI everyone. They take your discount if you are a preferred member too which is sweet. Also they honor coupons from the web site. the lady said they will be open on sat 06-23-2012 from 9 till 9