Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to pair with?

Default What to pair with?

So for my show this year I'm planning on opening with a barrage of Mighty Cobras. The only problem is I want to add some color to the barage but I don't know what to get. I will be purchasing from Miller's. I was thinking maybe a low shot count color pearl but it might be too slow. Any ideas?
    Come to the pyro side, we have things that go BOOM!

Bacon & Fireworks certified.

Default Re: What to pair with?

I don't know millers products very well, but if they have a good comet cake you could use that. I think color will get lost in the effect though. People will be focusing on the sound so much that the color won't matter IMO.
    AKA "Tim Lawnchair"
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
    Become a supporting member!

Member Array

I am also opening with a case of Mighty Cobra, was thinking of putting a NOAB in the middle. Possibly Pyro Candy or Pyro Chronicles, not sure yet.

It seems like the color pearls could be lost among all the crackling comets and the audience might not even notice the colors. I would consider using something that gave a stark contrast with the wall of crackle, such as a large wheel in front, possibly Fiery Eye Wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKoPmQMIkE
    See my free buyer's guide at http://www.FireworksLand.com/buyers-guide

Removed
    Last edited by ilmoam; December 25th, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob weaver View Post
    It seems like the color pearls could be lost among all the crackling comets and the audience might not even notice the colors. I would consider using something that gave a stark contrast with the wall of crackle, such as a large wheel in front, possibly Fiery Eye Wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKoPmQMIkE
    Sweet idea!
    AKA "Tim Lawnchair"
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
    Become a supporting member!

Quote Originally Posted by crackerman70 View Post
    I am also opening with a case of Mighty Cobra, was thinking of putting a NOAB in the middle. Possibly Pyro Candy or Pyro Chronicles, not sure yet.
    I thought about doing some single shot tubes over the Cobras, but I haven't decided yet. I kind of wanted the intense factor so I'm looking for something to add to the Cobras. A comet cake may be the way I want to go. I may shoot the tubes right after though.

Quote Originally Posted by ilmoam View Post
    What about a flying fish sort of effect cake? They are fairly quiet and wouldn't interfere with the noise from the cobras. And they should shoot high enough (depending on the cake).
    Yeah I was actually thinking about this as well, I just wasn't sure if Millers has any all fish cakes.
    Last edited by JoeRatman; May 25th, 2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Merge sequential posts

I like Joe Ratman's technique of hanging fountains upside-down on a horizontal board, which is supported by a tall pole. The downward motion of the fountain's sparks would contrast with the upward motion of the Mighty Cobras. Might look nice with "color flame globs" fountains such as "Jumping Jelly Beans" and similar ones.

Member Array

Canyon Lake Pyros, Member
    Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas, Member

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGTU View Post
    I actually looked at all of those(minus the Atom Splitter since they no longer carry it).
    And bob, thats a cool idea, I remember reading something about him doing that.

Member Array

Atom splitter was actually my first thought, but it wasnt on the list. But I have 2 cases with me here. I think that might be a good bet. Thank you Turbo!!

That "Delta Army" shown in the first link above would be great... I would probably set the "Mighty Cobra" cakes far off to the sides, both left and right side, and angle some of them them inwards, so they meet in the center and would form various X and W shapes with the shots from the "Delta Army" cake.

That "Delta Army" shown in the first link above would be great... I would probably set the "Mighty Cobra" cakes far off to the sides, both left and right side, and angle some of them them inwards, so they meet in the center and would form various X and W shapes with the shots from the "Delta Army" cake.
    Also another good idea.

Edit: I'm also thinking about adding in some Patriotic Comets by Soaring Eagle to get some good color.
    Keep the ideas coming people! They are all good.

Edit Edit: Also thinking about mixing in some Jewel Shower by Forward, I think it would look good with the Cobras.
    Last edited by pyro92; May 21st, 2011 at 09:22 AM.

Since there's a lot of crackling tails going up without breaks, how bout some crackling breaks above the cobra's? Or how bout Poisonous Spiders above them.

Quote Originally Posted by A_pyro_rush View Post
    Since there's a lot of crackling tails going up without breaks, how bout some crackling breaks above the cobra's? Or how bout Poisonous Spiders above them.
    Poisonous Spiders wouldn't look too bad.

I like Joe Ratman's technique of hanging fountains upside-down on a horizontal board, which is supported by a tall pole. The downward motion of the fountain's sparks would contrast with the upward motion of the Mighty Cobras. Might look nice with "color flame globs" fountains such as "Jumping Jelly Beans" and similar ones.
    That's what I would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobThePyro View Post
    "I bought too many KOD's."
    I didn't think it was possible for such a statement to exist. I wouldv'e thought the universe would've self-annihilated as the period was typed or something.

Any thoughts on pairing the Cobras with Sonic Waves? I think it would look pretty cool.

Would a cake with hummers be too difficult to hear over the mass crackling?
    Any ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by pyro92; May 24th, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by pyro92 View Post
    Would a cake with hummers be too difficult to hear over the mass crackling?
    Any ideas are welcome.
    not really, but you dont want to mix those two noises.
    buzzing effects go best with comets, small mines, flying fish, scrambling comets, scrambling comet breaks, roman candles, report candles, fast paced fanned cakes, z-cakes.

What about other types of buzzing but with breaks?
    Stealth ninja
    Train Rage
    Canyon Lake Pyros, Member
    Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas, Member

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

How about a number of big crackling fountains? For example, Pyro Party or Cat V? These fountains start out slow. I think they go about 2 minutes. The last 10 seconds or so, are a wide (15' radius and maybe 15' high) ginormous spray of crackle. It helps if you get these things off the ground, even if it is only a few feet. About the time these are at peak, fire of the Might Cobra crackling comets. Position a barrage of the comet cakes, behind each of the crackling foutains, so it looks like the comets are coming out of the fountains. When the crackling comets are about done, fire off some crackling (popcorn crackle) cakes, that have no tails and go higher than the comets. The effect is movement of crackle from the ground, up into the air and then even further up into the air as crackle breaks.

Instead of a ginormous crackle fountain, do use a bunch of fused giant crackle balls (crackle 12' in all directions). You will have a few seconds of crackle pandamonium on the the ground, followed by comets and then breaks.

Instead of a ginormous crackle balls fountain, use some low crackle mines (lower than the comets) like Shogun Cybermine or Jackmine.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

I just answered the same question the other night for myself....big's rising storm. small little cake with a equally small price. the two together were great.

Wow, those are some great ideas. I was actually thinking about doing some giant crackling balls but I thought maybe it wouldn't look that good, but I think it would.

I may pop a few giant crackling balls and then start into the fountains and then go into the Cobras paired with a crackling cake. The giant crackling balls will catch everyone off guard and then the fountains will be a little more tame and then the cobras/other cakes will build up the intensity again.

Quote Originally Posted by rottenjohnny View Post
    I just answered the same question the other night for myself....big's rising storm. small little cake with a equally small price. the two together were great.
    I'll have to check it out, I may be making a trip up to Bigs sometime in June. You wouldn't happen to have a video by chance would you?
    Last edited by JoeRatman; May 25th, 2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Merge sequential posts.

What Mr. Weaver said, plus some crackle like Joe suggested, along with some grape soda and you're set.
    Yeah, it's true.. Millers does rock.

Has anyone ever suspended crackling balls? I'm thinking of glueing them down to a board and then putting the board upside down.

Edit: I'm thinking of some how suspending the Crackling Balls in the air high enough to have them light and drop and then burst in mid air.
    Last edited by pyro92; May 25th, 2011 at 12:43 PM.

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

I have suspended magic whips a bunch of crackling magic whips. It turns into a crackling water fall.

Why don't you make board(s) of crackling fountains, fast fused together and place them on saw horse stations (or get them off the ground some how)? Between the fountains, hang giant crackle balls. The crackle balls go off first followed by the fountains. Since the crackle balls are off the ground they are rather impressive. This would be a lot less work than hanging crackle balls from a suspended wire or a pole with a bar.

Click for full size: http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...aserCones1.JPG
    Then put your comets behind the boards. Here is a thread with pictures and video.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...Fountain-board

Or look at this thread about the Beer Dabbler. You will note that most of the fountain boards have giant crackle balls wedged between the fountains.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/sh...l-Beer-Dabbler.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Again, awesome. That video was was really cool. I really like that. It had a really big crackling zone in the beginning.
    Last edited by pyro92; May 25th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.

Admin

I like that. I am starting my 4th show with something like that, then after it is finished a spotlight will shine on an American flag through the smoke for the National Anthem...

I personally would stay away from any comet cakes. The mighty cobra is pretty loud and bright, and a whole case will drown out any other comet / pearl cake. Try Black Cats Crackling Palms. It has the same # of shots and pacing, and the crackling palm breaks should look really nice over the Cobra's effect.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/IsS9tFhJyWs

Quote Originally Posted by -Detroit Pyro- View Post
    I personally would stay away from any comet cakes. The mighty cobra is pretty loud and bright, and a whole case will drown out any other comet / pearl cake. Try Black Cats Crackling Palms. It has the same # of shots and pacing, and the crackling palm breaks should look really nice over the Cobra's effect.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/IsS9tFhJyWs
    The secret to showing off other items of against a barrage of comets is to set them 30 or so feet in front of the comets. The comets become the canvas, and the highlighted items are the paint. Just like layering vertically, horizontal layering can create great effects.
    if you trust in yourself...
    and believe in your dreams...
    and follow your star...
    you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVUhTomEAgc&NR=1

as usual, video doesnt do justice best of luck....lots of good ideas in here