Thread: Cowboys Stadium

Default Cowboys Stadium

Hs anyone had a chance to do pyro in the stadium. Just curious what the challenges are.

Member Array

Default Re: Cowboys Stadium

A couple of times. There is no smoke evac system. If you're shooting for a televised event, be aware that the smoke can block the camera views. I heard several people complaining about the lack of pyro this year at the Superbowl. I would bet it was kept minimal because the camera's view is the #1 priority. We've run into the same on other events.
    Illumination Fireworks, LLC
    www.IlluminationFireworks.com
    Full Service Fireworks & Special Effects Company

I've heard they really try to push their in house guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dw71 View Post
    I've heard they really try to push their in house guy.
    That'd make sense most venues do
    Crackerjacks, PGI, NLPC
    Type 19 & 54,Virginia Proximate & Areal licensed, PGI certification
    Associates in Show Production and Touring
    pyroplegic.com
    southernexposurepyro.com

Thanks Jake: seeing as we are the in house guys, trust me there are good reasons why the venue supports us. Yes there are smoke evac challenges, but we know how to work around it and have shot a lot of pyro with no smoke issues.

Good to meet ya Tony.
    Does the video screen create a problem? Seems awful low.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Thanks Jake: seeing as we are the in house guys, trust me there are good reasons why the venue supports us. Yes there are smoke evac challenges, but we know how to work around it and have shot a lot of pyro with no smoke issues.
    Any tips you can share?
    9th Annual St. Louis Group Shoot | Ohio Fireworks Law | Northeast Ohio Pyros
    Ohio Licensed Lead Exhibitor | BATFE Type 54 | PGI Member/Certified | President NEOPG

Yes, the scoreboard can be fairly low at times, I think 35ft is the lowest it has been when we have shot pyro and flames around it. As has already been said, the lack of a smoke evac system is something to take into account also.
    The biggest concern is when concert tours and other traveling events come in with their own pyro guys, many of which do understand what they can and can't shoot in there, but many of them do not. Knowing the height of the ceiling, one would think they could shoot things like 100mm mines in there safely, but what you don't realize, nor can you see from the ground is the network of steel rigging and support cables strung above the screen for all of the various speakers and other equipment. It really takes a climb into the catwalk to view all of the obstacles you have to shoot around if you want to do some of the larger effects in there. I have spent a lot of time in both the catwalk and scoreboard taking pictures and measurements for pyro rigging points, and would not wish the catwalk work on anyone. It is a pain to get up to, and even worse to get gear into. They normally do not have a hoist and basket setup for getting things into the catwalk, so that leaves you with having to carry stuff up into it, which is not pleasant. There is a crane setup on the very top catwalk, but I have been in there when the steel cable on it snapped while hoisting a load up, but that was before they officially opened in 2009. I have also seen riggers lose loads in there before that were being manually hoisted up via rope, not something you want to be near.
    Also, yes, the lack of pyro for the superbowl was due to the smoke concerns. We have worked out a few tricks to deal with the smoke, but it doesn't take much at all to leave a nasty haze in there.