Thread: Air Powered Confetti/Streamer Cannons

Default Air Powered Confetti/Streamer Cannons

I'm working on a high school musical production and would like to incorporate some streamers or confetti into the finale. I'm just starting to research some air powered cannons. I'm not really sure how much I would need.

The show is happening in a commons/cafeteria/stage space that seats approximately 400 with about 20+ foot ceilings. The stage is 42' wide.

I'm not sure if I would need something more than this for the effect or not:
    http://www.confetticannondirect.com/

Or would I be better off looking at renting something? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts.
    Thanks,

Have fireworks. Will travel. Array JoeRatman's Avatar

Default Re: Air Powered Confetti/Streamer Cannons

Are you thinking confetti, streamers, mylar streamers, confetti & streamers? Each has a different spread and height.

Are you going to shoot at just the stage, the audience/spectators or both? This will effect how many cannons you need.

My personal preference is mylar streamers. People pick them up and wear them as necklaces and bracelets. It gives them something to take home. I like the shiny effect as well.

RES Pyro has the 2" x 30" tubes. There is either hand held ones (you twist the bottom to fire) or electric fire ones.
    http://www.respyro.com/confetti.htm

If this is a one time thing (one performance) or maybe just a few performances, then going with hand held throw away canons is just what you need.

I think the height will be fine (even if you get ones that hit 30'), you just may have to angle the canons a bit. You don't want the material bouncing off the ceiling.
    Last edited by JoeRatman; February 15th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.

Thank You Joe,

I was thinking maybe two streamers (just because I thought it would be less mess to pick up), and I would like to angle them into the audience. I'm wondering, are these hand held streamers safe to put in the hands of 16-18 year old kids? If not, I'm thinking maybe something I could truss mount and fire off the lightboard. The show runs for 3 days. I appreciate the tip about the mylar, and I'll check out the website. Thanks for responding.

Electric leaf blower with a paint roller duct taped to the end. Slip on two rolls of toilet paper. Bend as necessary to be in the air stream. 3 foot leader to start. Play loud music and hit the switch. Instant streamers everywhere. Aimable. Easy to clean up. Cheap one ply works best.
    www.pyinthesky.com & www.i-match.us
    BATFE Licensed Mfg of Explosives
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilli View Post
    Electric leaf blower with a paint roller duct taped to the end. Slip on two rolls of toilet paper. Bend as necessary to be in the air stream. 3 foot leader to start. Play loud music and hit the switch. Instant streamers everywhere. Aimable. Easy to clean up. Cheap one ply works best.
    Red, Green Style!

We are hoping to hit them during the show and timed with the music, so this might not be the right effect, but I like the idea.

KCAP Charter Member Array mattrod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thanke View Post
    Red, Green Style!

We are hoping to hit them during the show and timed with the music, so this might not be the right effect, but I like the idea.
    Should he be concerned about a prox license ? Will he need that or an atf to purchase from res?
    KCAP Board Member/PGI/MAPAG/MAFF
    Cobra18R-Pyromate P45
    youtube.com/ratrodford
    BATFE TYPE 54 - MO/KS DISPLAY OPERATOR

We sell the confetti cannons in three sizes 12 in, 24 in, and 36 in. Retail cost should be around $9.00 to $15.00 ea. for the 36in. They are powered by an internal c02 cannister. I don't think you will get the distance you want unless the shooters are close to the audience, and then you will have the safety factor. You could go to a party store and buy 1 and try it outside see if you get the effect you need. Willi's idea if it could be incorporated in your show sounds like the kicker, I don't know if colored crepe paper would work in the blower, but something to consider.

A responsible 16-18 year should be able to handle it. The easiest way is to put a tape mark where he/she should stand. Show them how to hold it and show them some point on the ceiling to aim at that gives the right angle. Make sure you also show them how to fire it. Though, I am not sure if two would be enough.

These confetti guns use a compressed air canister. You don't need prox license or ATF license. There is no pyrotechnics involved.

Here is a video clip (4mb, 640x480, wmv) of two handheld mylar streamer cannons going off in a church during an Easter Service. The church ceiling is about 50' This may give you an idea of the spread.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...terVigil09.wmv
    Last edited by JoeRatman; February 16th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRatman View Post
    A responsible 16-18 year should be able to handle it. The easiest way is to put a tape mark where he/she should stand. Show them how to hold it and show them some point on the ceiling to aim at that gives the right angle. Make sure you also show them how to fire it. Though, I am not sure if two would be enough.

These confetti guns use a compressed air canister. You don't need prox license or ATF license. There is no pyrotechnics involved.

Here is a video clip (4mb, 640x480, wmv) of two handheld mylar streamer cannons going off in a church during an Easter Service. The church ceiling is about 50' This may give you an idea of the spread.
    http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2...terVigil09.wmv
    It looks like that should do the trick, I may need to get a few more than two for our space. I'm a bit concerned about having students use these, I'm still contemplating something like this:
    http://www.spfx.com/Electric_Confetti_Cannons.html

I will need to check to see if I have any rentals avaible locally first.

I did some more digging and it turns out I can rent them locally for $35 a week! 2" cannon electrically fired. I just feel safer mounting this up on the light bar where I know It can't be pointed at someone.

Thanks for the help guys.

Alright guys, I ended up ordering 10 12" X2" disposable hand fire cannons, and I rented a 2" reloadable that uses 16g co2 cartriges. The disposables are working out great. Tonight what the last dress rehearsal for the show and I have two alumi students in the front firing the hand helds, and the reloadable is in the back of the house. I can't seem to get the reloadable to work very well. Today it show streamers a good 3' into the air. I didn't have to take a full step to pick them up. Does anyone have any tips with these things, I figured I've set it up wrong, but I'ts pretty basic unit. There is an actuator on a solenoid that pushes a firing pin into the CO2 cartrige that pushes everying out the barrel. The only thing I've noticed is that maybe the firing pin needs to be adjusted for a bigger hole made?

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks,

Usually there is a a cardboard insert or covering for the end of the tube. This is stuck into the end of the tube. Sometimes you tape and seal it lightly all the way around. The idea is to build up some pressure behind the covering or insert, before it bursts loose. Without the covering, the confetti/streamers do not go very high or far.

To see this how this works, take one of those "Pringles" potato chip containers (eat the chips first, ). Put some scraps of paper in the tube. Squeeze the tube and see how far the paper flies out. Now put the paper back in and put the plastic cover on the chip container. Now squeeze it. The plastic over will fly off and the paper scraps will fly further. Now put the paper back in and put the cover on and lightly tape the cover (put not too tight) all the way around. Now squeeze the container (it will take more force and you may actually have to jump on it) and the plastic and paper scraps should spread even further.
    Last edited by JoeRatman; March 17th, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
    Licensed MN Outdoor Fireworks Operator
    Licensed MN Indoor/Proximate Fireworks Operator
    CDL with hazmat endorsement

Thanks Joe, I did put the cover on, but I did not seal it with anything, maybe some light masking tape. I did notice that teh endcap plugs seem to have been warped and not in the best of shape, Maybe we're leaking air.

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow.

I've also heard of using blue shop paper towels. Securely wrap tape around the barrel and the confetti should shoot through the towel. After the shot, untape the towel and repeat.

If you try this, let me know how it works because I have only heard of it working... I have never tried it