Thread: thermal imaging cameras and unextinguished fireworks?

Member Array

Default thermal imaging cameras and unextinguished fireworks?

Would a thermographic camera be useful in finding those smoldering fireworks that have not been put out properly? I know these cameras are very expensive, but has anyone here ever used one?
    Last edited by ixfd64; June 21st, 2010 at 07:39 PM.

Default Re: thermal imaging cameras and unextinguished fireworks?

They are pretty easy to spot. Wait about 15 or 20 minutes and look for a bit of smoke still coming from the cake. Of course fire is a good sign too.

Look at each tube in the cake. You should see a bit of black along each mortar wall. If the wall looks clean inspect to see if the cake has all ignited.
    Mortar racks look for fuses still sticking out of the mortars.

This works also.

Seriously though, Are you talking about cakes or shell that are lifted but do not burst in the sky and make the full round trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star Pyro View Post
    This works also.

Seriously though, Are you talking about cakes or shell that are lifted but do not burst in the sky and make the full round trip?
    I'm willing to let you slide on the fireworks, but I'll have to bust you for using the Flamethrower to lite them.
    Rudy

Member of H.P.A.
    Member in good standing of Double D's PPP club

Member Array

our local fire department helps us after our show by using there IR camera to look for shells/hot spots around our site.Two years ago we found 3 shells (we think from a 2" cake because the smallest tubes we have is a 3") that had not gone off and were layin 4 or 5 feet off into a wooded area.They were able to find them rather easy. We just doused them with water and marked them with a flag in the ground and came back to them later with the pail of water and droped them in.

As a fire fighter I can tell you that the thermal cameras out there make it much easyer to find dud shells. I make it a point to make sure the local FD has a camera avaliable at every show I shoot.

You've given me an idea... grab your camcorder and point a tv remote at it. You might be surprised at what you see. I have a couple of cheapie black and white security cams that I'll test... The low-light versions reach even further down towards infra-red. Since I don't smoke, I'll try pointing it at some punk (smoldering kind, not a kid) and post the results. What I'm getting at here is using one of these to check mortars:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2300.../dp/B001AOVBHG

Just a thought, I'm a geek here, not a shooter.

Best...
    Last edited by Mondo; July 3rd, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: proofread