Thread: Need help! Class b cdl driver

Default Need help! Class b cdl driver

I am in dyer need of help this coming wednesday. I am scheduled to take a Class B CDL driving test to complete my CDL Class B w/Hazmat certification. The person I was banking on, started a new job and cannot take off for Wed. afternoon.

What I need:
    Someone that has a Class B or A CDL that would be willing to travel with me to the DL testing site in KC, KS. The testing is to be done at 1:30pm. I will pick up the truck from Penske in Overland Park, Ks.

I am not 100% positive I need a licensed individual to accompany me, but I suspect this is true.
    I would pay someone $20 for their time in accompanying me in this process. Basically the person just needs to ride with me, not drive.

I know this is asking alot, just thought I would throw it out there to whoever might be able to help.
    Thanks,
    Austin

Member Array

Default Re: Need help! Class b cdl driver

I know nothing about KS but if Overland Park isn't too far from KC it my be possible to get Penske to drop truck off at DL testing site, if not Penske perhaps another rental agency.
    SC Display Operator License
    NC Pyrotechnic Operator's Permit
    CDL B Haz Mat
    PGI Certified Shooter
    Crackerjacks
    PGI

id post something on craigslist but youll be hard pressed to find someone for $20 i think
    MA, NH, NY Licensed Display Operator
    Licensed CDL Hazmat
    PGI & NFPA certified
    Web-Master for Northern Lights Pyros Club!

Thanks fellas. I have found my "ride along."
    Another Pyro has helped me out of this jam.
    Now I will be able to test right on schedule.
    I know $20 was cheap, just already dumped a
    ton of money into fireworks this year. About $1800
    in fireworks start-up cost. Permits/Licenses/Materials.
    -Austin
    KS Display Shooters License
    MO Display Shooters License

Class B CDL w/HazMat

TYPE 54

Member Array

Know your pre-trip inspection like the back of your hand - the ouside and inside of truck.

Know your air brake test step by step and be able to explain what your doing and checking.

Know what to do incase of a breakdown on the side of the road.

Get familiar with the truck as much as you can before showing up to the test site.

Take notice of clearance signs when going under bridges, the examiner may ask you "What was that clearance back there?"

Be calm & COLLECTED, take your time, it's not a race.
    Good luck too ya driver.

^^^ Good advice.^^^

That is a favorite "trick" of their's...asking you a question about what you just passed. Like the weight limit on bridges after you just drove over them. And know what to do at the RR tracks.

(and call me!)
    www.pyinthesky.com & www.i-match.us
    BATFE Licensed Mfg of Explosives
    MO & KS - Display & Prox
    CDL/HAZMAT/PGI/KCAP

They know your nervous, they except little mistakes, But the most important thing to do is to make sure and the first thing you do is BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELT !!!!!!!! If that truck moves 1inch without it buckled, test is over. Also remember to always Set THOSE AIR BRAKES.

one more thing to look for, to see if that truck has a pintol hook, securely mounted etc etc

When I took my test (years ago, no hazmat) the tester had me say out loud what I was doing and why, ie "I'm walking around the truck now to check that all the latches are secure on the doors." Things like that. I got a remark from the tester that I was the only one who ever checked the right hand mirrors when pulling out to the left. Mirrors and checking who's going in and out of your blind spots is very important. Tell the tester that you're looking... move your head when you do.

Jimbpard's advice is best: take it slow!

Good Luck!

Member Array

So how'd ya do?
    B.A.T.F.E. Type 54

CDL Class 'A', Hazmat, Tanker, Double & Triples.

Oh yeah, I passed! Thanks for all the advise. I rented a 26000 lb. 26' non-CDL truck with air brakes to practice on with my permit along side a Class A'er to help me with the small stuff.
    Then when i felt comfy, I rented another truck, tried to get the 26001 lb. 26' truck (same truck basically w/different weight rating). But instead all they had is a 33000 lb. truck a bit longer than I practiced on. Was a little nervous b/c of this, but I passed with flying colors. Was kinda fun actually, but I enjoy challenges. I had a great tester though, after the first ten minutes, he asked if this was for fireworks after seeing my "study folder" in the middle seat with a big 1.3G placard picture on it. His daughter actually runs some 1.4 (consumer) tents. After that we were talking about fireworks and women drivers that allways talk when driving. Test went very smoothly, but I studied a lot and did a lot of practice tests online.
    KS Display Shooters License
    MO Display Shooters License

Class B CDL w/HazMat

TYPE 54