Thread: Question on Mortar Tubes

Member Array

Default Question on Mortar Tubes

Can you fire any size shell such as shell from a "Festival Ball" reloadable kit from a 12" HDPE tube or mortar rack?

Default Re: Question on Mortar Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by bigbplaya
    Can you fire any size shell such as shell from a "Festival Ball" reloadable kit from a 12" HDPE tube or mortar rack?
    I know my festival balls are all 1.5 inch. I would not shoot those from tubes meant for 1.75" shells if that's what you're asking.

There would be a lot of blow by resulting in a possible dangerously low break.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfeesh
    I know my festival balls are all 1.5 inch. I would not shoot those from tubes meant for 1.75" shells if that's what you're asking.

There would be a lot of blow by resulting in a possible dangerously low break.
    I dont know stinky, ive shot a festival ball out of a 2" mortar before and it got some good height, but still broke low, i would think the HDPE will be fine.

Member Array

I believe the mortar tubes are SDR11 HDPE ID 1.91" from pyrogear.net. If the shells are too loose I will tape the shell to get a better fit. Any recommendations on reloading? How long should I wait before doing it? Should I not attempt it? Pyrogear.net's site says "Allow your mortars too cool after shooting 7 shots. After 7 consecutive shots, the mortar will become hot and loose structural integrity. Wait until it is cool to the touch before shooting again." I trust them in their advice, yet why is almost every thread I read in here saying you shouldn't reload after one time since its too dangerous. How is it any different than reloading 6 shells into those crappy cardboard tubes? Maybe i am misinterpreting. Input and criticism is appreciated.. Thanks for the help
    Last edited by bigbplaya; June 4th, 2006 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrochris
    I dont know stinky, ive shot a festival ball out of a 2" mortar before and it got some good height, but still broke low, i would think the HDPE will be fine.
    Here was my experience. I had some shells last year that were really lose in the 1.75" mortars. They only got about 30ft high before they broke. I had to tape the shell close the distance between it and the tube to get any height.
    Never fear....the 4th is less than a year..

When I tried taping a festival ball to fire out of an HDPE tube, it really affected the break.I wouldn't tape again.So this year I skipped the 1.5" shells.

Member Array

I emailed pyrogear.net and they said that their mortar tubes are meant for 1.75" shells. However you say that there are still 1.75" shells that are loose?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbplaya
    I believe the mortar tubes are SDR11 HDPE ID 1.91" from pyrogear.net. If the shells are too loose I will tape the shell to get a better fit. Any recommendations on reloading? How long should I wait before doing it? Should I not attempt it? Pyrogear.net's site says "Allow your mortars too cool after shooting 7 shots. After 7 consecutive shots, the mortar will become hot and loose structural integrity. Wait until it is cool to the touch before shooting again." I trust them in their advice, yet why is almost every thread I read in here saying you shouldn't reload after one time since its too dangerous. How is it any different than reloading 12 shells into those crappy cardboard tubes? Maybe i am misinterpreting. Input and criticism is appreciated.. Thanks for the help
    Why do you think the laws are about to be changed to 1 tube per 6 shells in a kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro_By_Nature
    When I tried taping a festival ball to fire out of an HDPE tube, it really affected the break.I wouldn't tape again.So this year I skipped the 1.5" shells.
    Let me start by saying, taping a shell is modification. Simple yes, but still modified from its original state. Although I do this some myself, I dont recommend it to anyone else. I was fortunate. My shells were kinda weak breaking to start with. The tape actually gave me a harder break. These were the cannon gold willow shells. Symetry isnt as important so they are not as affected on the break as a color shell would be. However, you are correct. Taping can produce bad symetry. But with the shells I had, there was nothing to lose.
    Never fear....the 4th is less than a year..