Thread: New York Pyrotechnician

Member Array

Default New York Pyrotechnician

Just got my "Pyrotechnician Certificate of Competence" card in the mail today. It's a photo ID card exactly like the NYS Explosives License card. Valid for 3 years from issue date. Has the class - in my case, "Class: B Non Proximate Audience Only". States "This card must be carried when using pyrotechnics".

The regulation states "Every pyrotechnic display conducted in New York on or after October 4, 2009, will have to have at least one lead pyrotechnician who possesses a certificate of competence issued by the Commissioner of Labor. Not every operator will need to have a certificate of competence: uncertified operators will be allowed to work under the direct supervision and control of a certified pyrotechnician. That approach will provide apprenticeship opportunities for new operators to gain the experience necessary to qualify for a certification in the future. It will also allow out of state, as well as local, operators the opportunity to work on a show without having to obtain their own certificate of competence."

Of course, NYC has, or will have, its own certification of some sort. That doesn't matter much to me, as I'm upstate.
    PGI and CrackerJacks
    BATF Type 20
    NYS Certified Pyrotechnician

Default Re: New York Pyrotechnician

it's all a scam.
    Licensed Display Operator: CT, MA, MD, NH, NYC (E-20 & E-18), NYS (Type A)
    Type 20 Licensed
    PGI Certified
    Safety Officer - Northern Lights Pyrotechnic Club, Inc
    PGI & NHPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyro29 View Post
    it's all a scam.
    You aint kidding Brother...all to the tune of $224.25

The best part is, I got laid-off back in March.....so I am currently working for the DOL, right?

Guess who is going to pay for mine?

The DOL
    Last edited by davie100; September 20th, 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added text
    Like your FREEDOM? Thank the SOLDIER!!

Semper Fi

WNYPA

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by pyro29 View Post
    it's all a scam.
    So I see in your signature that you're licensed as a display operator in multiple states. Does that cost you anything? And if so, do you consider yourself to have been scammed, too?
    PGI and CrackerJacks
    BATF Type 20

For Albany to enact, under "Emergency Legislation", this bill requiring certificates, I think it's a scam. It is all about fund raising for the state. Why an emergency? Where was the big accident to bring this on? Right, there wasn't one.

Also, how can they just give this away without a test? Just because someone was in attendance of some shows doesn't mean they are competent. I, personally, believe they should have given the test to everyone now, not just after April.

For what it's worth, yes, mine was sent out yesterday, for my Class A. I believe in individual licensing 110% but not when the authority is giving them away for nothing other than cash.

Of course, this one is no where near the rip off as my NY O&P, but that's another story...
    Type 20 Licensed
    PGI Certified
    PGI & NHPA Member

Member Array

With that explanation, we're completely on the same page. It's an "emergency" because the DOL gamed the legislature and got their bill attached to the budget bill, so because they set deadlines in their bill that can't be met with the normal regulatory process, it became an "emergency".

But also because they don't really know much about fireworks, they can't write a meaningful test and meet their own deadline for issuing certificates, so they had to just grandfather anyone who's actually been working as a lead, or just shut down fireworks displays in the state.

I guess I should be proud that I'm doing my part to balance the state budget.
    PGI and CrackerJacks
    BATF Type 20

Wanna hear the real joke.

This whole process was supposed to be controlled by the new "Pyro Board" that was to be made up of the Managers & Business owners of the pyro company's in New York.

There has been no movement in this direction and the DOL is still in total control.
    Like your FREEDOM? Thank the SOLDIER!!

Semper Fi

WNYPA

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by davie100 View Post
    Wanna hear the real joke.

This whole process was supposed to be controlled by the new "Pyro Board" that was to be made up of the Managers & Business owners of the pyro company's in New York.

There has been no movement in this direction and the DOL is still in total control.
    i have a feeling that its better it stays in the DOLs hands.
    I can totally see the big companies trying to introduce "ideas" that totally benefit themselves yet stick it to the smaller guys.
    That happened here in Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by strobes View Post
    I can totally see the big companies trying to introduce "ideas" that totally benefit themselves yet stick it to the smaller guys.
    That may be fine in other states but in NY, the DOL is like a pseudo-nazi party. They do what they want, when they want to, and have zero oversight by anyone. Whether there was a pyro board or something else, anything is, IMO, better than what is in place now.
    Type 20 Licensed
    PGI Certified
    PGI & NHPA Member

I don't log in much anymore as I am more of the lurker type...but since my check to the NY-DOL just cleared, I figured I'd pipe-in.

I agree with the whole joke-aspect of "emergency action."

However I do not agree with the interpretation that some have made about the waiver of examination.

It seems that due to the wording in Part61 of Occupational Licensing and Certification, that those who apply before April and can provide documentation of show experience are waived form an examination.

However, the wording in the application packet for the Certifcate of Competency states that in order to be eligible for an exam waiver you must provide proof of show experience AND also be issued a Certificate of Competency from another state.

This is to help ensure that anyone with just an Employee Possessor's certificate cannot get waived.

The question then becomes, are those eligible for a waiver actually knowledgeable of NFPA 1123 (2010), the defacto accepted regs for NY state efective October 4th when it comes to display fireworks. That could be a little problem.

Then again, my state (NH) is switching over to NFPA 1123 from an archaic set of regs very soon and is not requiring additional exams for those already holding certificates. The argument may be that insurance companies have held us to 1123 for some time now, and therefore everyone has been using it on each and every display....hmmm...i think not!
    Last edited by mib1216; September 23rd, 2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: error correction

Quote Originally Posted by strobes View Post
    The big companies have already won. THe cost of operating LEGALLY in NY is crazy. The cost of insurance is out of control. Between workers comp, display libility, DOT insurance & now this. $250 For a license that NO ONE IS GOING TO ENFORCE --- Think about who is going to check on every show to see if there is a licensed person??

Do you know how many towns/cities here dont even have a permit process for a show? When we call them about a show all they ask for is insurance certificate.

Unlike MA, or CT where they have a state fire marshal office where permit applications for fireworks are processed we dont have that here. I have been licensed in MA and I have shot in CT. I know how those states operate the FD or fire marshal is onsite with you all day checking everything - Which is fine -- Those state actually are looking out for ecveryones safety - NY is just looking for $$$. Right now you have until 4/2010 to get this certificating WITHOUT a test - WHY??? Because as of right now there is no test.

This whole thing was backed by the BIG guys. In another effort to push all the smaller companies out. There are only 3 major players here in NY 2 from the city and one in wester NY, there are a hand full of us medium sized companies - and it is going to hurt if you do business by the book.