Thread: 2nd attempt for help !

Default 2nd attempt for help !

Can someone please help me determine what is the best gauge nichrome wire to use in making ones own igniters ? Will the length of the wires to the igniters determine the gague of the wire used. Iv'e never fired anything using this method before , I thought someone here with experience would be able to help.I don't really want to buy a spool of every size ,that will leave less money for Fireworks !!!:

Member Array

Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

I believe that 48 gauge is what you want. It has the strength but is thin enough to glow at low voltage. imo

I would be interested to hear what others use as well. I've heard of people using anywhere from 24 to 48 guage.
    If I was going to buy wire then I'd probably get 32 because it's somewhere in the middle, but I would like instant ignition for timing reasons, so I might prefer going thinner.

(I've built myself a simple efire panel, but so far have used nothing but Chrismas lights as temporary igniters.)

IMO the nichrome igniters are outdated, they served their purpose for a time, and some still use them successfully.

The new UncSam igniters and liquid element match kits are much better options, and don't require near the power to fire. A forum search will turn up plenty of info.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    IMO the nichrome igniters are outdated, they served their purpose for a time, and some still use them successfully.

The new UncSam igniters and liquid element match kits are much better options, and don't require near the power to fire. A forum search will turn up plenty of info.
    Hit the nail on the head!
    I made my own as well,with limited success due to a 6volt system.The UncSam types work great and no pokeing my fingers with needles

I looked at those UncSam ones, but they aren't what I'm looking for. My entire purpose for e-firing is to have instant firing with a button press. I intend to have no visco in between my igniter and the firework, so a clip on wouldn't be ideal for my situation.

I prefer the idea of something more DIY anyway.

However, if that is what the original poster is looking for, they look like they are of very high quality, and they definitely could be a lot more expensive than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumboshrmp View Post
    I looked at those UncSam ones, but they aren't what I'm looking for. My entire purpose for e-firing is to have instant firing with a button press. I intend to have no visco in between my igniter and the firework, so a clip on wouldn't be ideal for my situation.

I prefer the idea of something more DIY anyway.

However, if that is what the original poster is looking for, they look like they are of very high quality, and they definitely could be a lot more expensive than they are.
    The UNcSam igniters are great for hobbyist shooters and will do just fine for anything less than a musical where spot on instant ignition is needed.

I also suggested the Liquid Element matches, which are cheap, simple to make and can achieve the elimination of any visco like you suggested....what are you DIY with to do that now? Your statement is a bit contradictory.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    The UNcSam igniters are great for hobbyist shooters and will do just fine for anything less than a musical where spot on instant ignition is needed.

I also suggested the Liquid Element matches, which are cheap, simple to make and can achieve the elimination of any visco like you suggested....what are you DIY with to do that now? Your statement is a bit contradictory.
    I didn't even see that the liquid element was mentioned. I just seaching it and it looks interesting, something I'll have to look into.

I'm not bashing the UncSam Igniters at all. They look like a great product and as I can see from the responses to that thread, everyone seems to like them.

Part of my inspiration for doing my own fireworks show comes from the shows done at Disneyworld. If I do a show, I definitely want it to be as pyromusical-like as possible.