Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 2nd attempt for help !

  1. #1
    Member Array Strider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    223

    Default 2nd attempt for help !

    Can someone please help me determine what is the best gauge nichrome wire to use in making ones own igniters ? Will the length of the wires to the igniters determine the gague of the wire used. Iv'e never fired anything using this method before , I thought someone here with experience would be able to help.I don't really want to buy a spool of every size ,that will leave less money for Fireworks !!!:

  2. #2
    Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    seacoast, New Hampshire
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

    I believe that 48 gauge is what you want. It has the strength but is thin enough to glow at low voltage. imo

  3. #3
    Member Array Jumboshrmp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

    I would be interested to hear what others use as well. I've heard of people using anywhere from 24 to 48 guage.
    If I was going to buy wire then I'd probably get 32 because it's somewhere in the middle, but I would like instant ignition for timing reasons, so I might prefer going thinner.

    (I've built myself a simple efire panel, but so far have used nothing but Chrismas lights as temporary igniters.)

  4. #4
    Member Array shrapnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,092

    Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

    IMO the nichrome igniters are outdated, they served their purpose for a time, and some still use them successfully.

    The new UncSam igniters and liquid element match kits are much better options, and don't require near the power to fire. A forum search will turn up plenty of info.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

  5. #5
    Member Array Firejunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    861

    Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

    Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    IMO the nichrome igniters are outdated, they served their purpose for a time, and some still use them successfully.

    The new UncSam igniters and liquid element match kits are much better options, and don't require near the power to fire. A forum search will turn up plenty of info.
    Hit the nail on the head!
    I made my own as well,with limited success due to a 6volt system.The UncSam types work great and no pokeing my fingers with needles

  6. #6
    Member Array Jumboshrmp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

    I looked at those UncSam ones, but they aren't what I'm looking for. My entire purpose for e-firing is to have instant firing with a button press. I intend to have no visco in between my igniter and the firework, so a clip on wouldn't be ideal for my situation.

    I prefer the idea of something more DIY anyway.

    However, if that is what the original poster is looking for, they look like they are of very high quality, and they definitely could be a lot more expensive than they are.

  7. #7
    Member Array shrapnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    5,092

    Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumboshrmp View Post
    I looked at those UncSam ones, but they aren't what I'm looking for. My entire purpose for e-firing is to have instant firing with a button press. I intend to have no visco in between my igniter and the firework, so a clip on wouldn't be ideal for my situation.

    I prefer the idea of something more DIY anyway.

    However, if that is what the original poster is looking for, they look like they are of very high quality, and they definitely could be a lot more expensive than they are.
    The UNcSam igniters are great for hobbyist shooters and will do just fine for anything less than a musical where spot on instant ignition is needed.

    I also suggested the Liquid Element matches, which are cheap, simple to make and can achieve the elimination of any visco like you suggested....what are you DIY with to do that now? Your statement is a bit contradictory.
    Dominator Fireworks China Fireworks Manufacturer email ed1@dominatorfireworks.com
    The St Louis Shoot check it out! www.stlshoot.com

  8. #8
    Member Array Jumboshrmp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: 2nd attempt for help !

    Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
    The UNcSam igniters are great for hobbyist shooters and will do just fine for anything less than a musical where spot on instant ignition is needed.

    I also suggested the Liquid Element matches, which are cheap, simple to make and can achieve the elimination of any visco like you suggested....what are you DIY with to do that now? Your statement is a bit contradictory.
    I didn't even see that the liquid element was mentioned. I just seaching it and it looks interesting, something I'll have to look into.

    I'm not bashing the UncSam Igniters at all. They look like a great product and as I can see from the responses to that thread, everyone seems to like them.

    Part of my inspiration for doing my own fireworks show comes from the shows done at Disneyworld. If I do a show, I definitely want it to be as pyromusical-like as possible.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •