Thread: "fusing" roman candles

Default "fusing" roman candles

I bought a couple cases of RCs this year. One of them was a four pack assortment that I left in the packs and fused like four cakes. The fuse I used put off too much fire and the whole thing went up at once instead of as four separate cakes as intended. The other case was all the same so I figured that I would try something like the spray adhesive thing. Problem was that I didn't have any adhesive. I did have several rolls of duct tape. So, After taping the 144 RCs together in one big block, I took several lengths of tape and laid them sticky side up to make one big sheet of tape. I then sprinkled BP on the tape and added a leader fuse. I then took the sheet and set it on top of the fuses. I tapped the edges down with more duct. It worked perfectly. So, if you are worried about the possibility of BP falling past the RCs doing the spray thing, try this method. No wasted powder either.

Sean

Default Re: "fusing" roman candles

Quote Originally Posted by RESET View Post
    I bought a couple cases of RCs this year. One of them was a four pack assortment that I left in the packs and fused like four cakes. The fuse I used put off too much fire and the whole thing went up at once instead of as four separate cakes as intended. The other case was all the same so I figured that I would try something like the spray adhesive thing. Problem was that I didn't have any adhesive. I did have several rolls of duct tape. So, After taping the 144 RCs together in one big block, I took several lengths of tape and laid them sticky side up to make one big sheet of tape. I then sprinkled BP on the tape and added a leader fuse. I then took the sheet and set it on top of the fuses. I tapped the edges down with more duct. It worked perfectly. So, if you are worried about the possibility of BP falling past the RCs doing the spray thing, try this method. No wasted powder either.

Sean
    What I've done previously was similar, I used masking tape rather then duct tape since it will burn easier. I put the BP on a paper plate and then pull off the strips of masking tape, hold it above the candles to approximate size, and rub the tape in the BP to get a nice layer, then attach and repeat. Then I go over it with one more layer of straight masking tape to cover the small spaces where the tape comes together, and then wrap tape around the sides to keep the edges down good.

This year I tried something new that worked even better. I used the rolls of paper that are used for masking when painting. Tore off a piece big enough to cover the entire top of the rack, set it on top of the rack, sprayed it with spray adhesive and sprinkled BP on it, then shook the BP around until it was a nice thin layer and poured off the excess. Flipped the piece of BP on paper over, and wrapped masking tape around the sides to hold it on. Worked great, except for a few candles near the edge lit late because I didn't quite spray all the way to the edges. Next time I'll be sure to fix that.

Man I love roman candles now!

I did a 5 gallon bucket filled with 10 shot assorted candles (about 100 or so). I did the spray adhesive, sprinkle 4f, coil yellow vis quick around the top with a leader. Then covered the top with heavy duty foil.
    It lit very fast and was spectacular.
    prpyro.
    Member PGI
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

If you want them to go all up at once, you could use rows of sticky match then cover w/ foil. Saves so much time and is reliable.

It's the same as your tape and black powder method, but it's already done for you. All you have to do is cut off stirps and stick them to the candles.

Member Array

I use home made sticky match. Since joining this forum the number of ways I've learned to light roman candles would probably fill a small phone book but it never hurts to learn one more.

I did a roman candle barrage for the first time this year. I did the spray adhesive and BP method, and only about 2/3 of the candles lit. I was gonna give up on this thing until I saw this thread, now I have some more methods to try.

Thanks Jason

I think 2 of the key things that need to be done is to:
    1.) Remove the cellophane from around the fuse area of the candles (we tried a rack with it left on, and the flame from the BP is so quick it just melted the plastic onto the fuses and only lit about a quarter of the candles).
    2.) I think it helps to cover the top of the candles no matter how you are applying the BP. Say if you did the spray adhesive and sprinkle BP method, you would want to cover with paper or aluminum foil and then tape it down securely. If I'm not mistaken this holds the fire in a bit and forces it onto the fuses more. Same thing with the other methods. Get it covered and taped down and it should push the fire the way you want it to go.

As for what to put the candles in, personally I use the newer size of milk crates (the rectangular ones). You can fit about 2 cases of most candles in these, and they have a wide enough base that it's very sturdy. I usually wrap some duct tape around all the candles nice and tight to be sure they are held close together and don't start shifting. I leave the candles in the case and just cut off the excess cardboard around the fuses, otherwise if you don't have something in the bottom of the crate the smaller candles will fall through. My next project is to build some angled boards and attach them to the bottoms of a couple of the crates. Then I can do a fanned setup with 2 cases worth of candles going in each direction, fun!

I use the spray adhesive and BP method but one thing I do that no one has mentioned yet is to take the paper that's around the fuse and push it into the top of the candle leaving the fuse a lot more exposed and creating a small cup in the top of the candle. Kind of like how you close the paper end of a roll of quarters. I run sticky match across the top of that.

Works every time!
    Single handedly trying to stimulate the economy by purchasing more fireworks than I can afford!

I cut the fuse off even with the top of the candle and then I put sticky on this way I dont have to worry about were the fuse of the candle is. Out of 50 candles only 2 didnt light and nobody missed them. This makes setup real quick.
    If you see me run by......you better follow!

My youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierr...d?feature=mhee

Look familiar Suess?
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Candles.JPG 
Views:	508 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	9278  

over the weekend i made a candle bucket for some friends who were doing a show. took longer to get them de-papered and taped into a bundle than it did to "fuse" them.

spray all the visco with spray adhesive
    using a funnel dump *comp* all over the the top
    invert the bundle over some news paper and give it a few taps to get all the loose *comp* to fall off (to be used again)

once that was done i sprayed the sides of the bundle near the top and then applied a layer of aluminum foil drawn tight to the edges.

no matter if you are e-matching this bundle or running some visco the finish is the same...make a small cut in the top of the foil, and insert your ignition method...seal with tape.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by ibizon View Post
    Look familiar Suess?
    Will the candles blow through all that tape? Looks great though, however those stars or whatever the colored report doesnt seem powerful enough to get through much.

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    Will the candles blow through all that tape? Looks great though, however those stars or whatever the colored report doesnt seem powerful enough to get through much.
    I was concerned with that myself so I used plastic wrap on top and just taped it around the sides. Although, with enough BP, that tape should burn right up, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Midak View Post
    I was concerned with that myself so I used plastic wrap on top and just taped it around the sides. Although, with enough BP, that tape should burn right up, no?
    this is why i use the foil and spray adhesive trick.

just spray the sides, lay the foil over the top, then pull it tight down the sides securing the foil to the glue.

it's "sparkproof", non flamable, and even the weakest candle can punch it's way through a single layer of foil.
    www.millerfireworks.com

PM me your email address for a price list, and check out our youtube page www.youtube.com/MillerFireworks.

It's just masking tape, the second the BP ignites it burns it all up. No need to punch through anything.

There was a pretty good fireball when the lit fuse made it under the tape. I cant imagine there was much tape left afterward. If there was, it would have been burnt away with that many "flaming balls" in such close proximity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-fire79 View Post
    Ok guys, i know im gonna use the glue/foil/BP/tape method to light my RC's but how soon can this be done, like a couple weeks before, im gonna be quite busy with work up to the 4th, so i wont have much time, so the more i can get done before the holiday the better off im gonna be

Sky-fire79
    the process only takes a few minutes and it can be done whenever you want. the real question is how long do you want BP sitting out in the open air sucking in moisture?

if i were you and i was trying to get as much done early here's what i'd do...

get all your candles secured into a bundle or rack(use lots of strong tape) and remove the tissue paper around the fuses of the candles. have your BP, spray adhesive, and foil ready to go sitting next to the racked/bundled candles. on shoot day coat the candle fuses withg adhesive, then after a few minutes come back and coat the fuses.

it's a very fast process and it'll only take you like 5 minutes to coat them. the part that takes the longest is racking/bundleing and removing the tissue paper.
    www.millerfireworks.com

I did several roman candle racks for the last show, and I used spray adhesive and BP, it was very very very easy to fuse and with 100% ignition. I will use this method every year for every roman candle rack.